Wish List

jberri12

Since it appears a number of market research panels pay attention to this site, I thought I would start a thread on things I wish market research survey panels would do better. Most of these have probably been brought up here before. I have experienced all of these at one time or another - they are not in any particular order, just things that annoy me about how surveys are implemented, compensation, etc. I'm sure most of you can identify with these and feel free to add more. Maybe someone from the market research companies will read this thread and improve things down the road...

1) Respondent Compensation - It would be nice to at least get paid at the US federal minimum wage hourly rate (currently $7.25). Though it might cost a little more, it would make us respondents a lot happier and would probably improve the survey quality and increase the number of respondents.

2) Re-asking Demographic Info - If you are a panel member, why do we have to keep re-entering the same basic demographic information? That information should be remembered so respondents don't have to re-enter it over and over again.

3) Survey Design - Make your surveys developers use responsive design - meaning the survey works in any web browser on any platform (PC, tablet, phone) at a resonable resolution - this means don't use Flash!

4) Pay Me For My Time - If a quota fills before a respondent finishes the survey, compensate them anyway. Those few extra dollars would go a long towards better karma between panels and respondents.

5) Data Input Overload - Do not use huge radio button, check box, or input field arrays! Peoples eyes start to cross at when they see a 10x10 or larger (100 checkbox) answer grids!

6) Monster Surveys - keep surveys at a reasonable length - don't make surveys longer than 30 minutes. If it has to be longer, provide extra compensation to ease the pain.

7) Keep It Simple - Too many questions or questions with a difficult to use interface on one page. It might be efficient or look cool, but remember there's a human trying to navigate this stuff.

I'm sure there are plenty more...

Good points.

Design your surveys to exclude people who do not fit your requirements as fast as is possible. No one likes to do 80% of a survey only to be disqualified. Gather your demographic information at the beginning and only ask for the info you actually need to have for a particular survey.

Please eliminate anthropomorphic questions. A product is NOT a person. Please do not insult my intelligence by asking these questions.

Please make your surveys restartable as errors do happen. Please test your surveys before releasing them into the wild. Nothing worse than having script errors occur in the middle of a survey.

This thread should be required reading to earn an A+ Better Business rating! Here's a few things that I'd like to see happen:

Please don't tell me you have an "exciting survey opportunity" for me. I used to think it was just laughable. Now I find it to be an insult to my intelligence. The only thing "exciting" about taking a survey is if there's a LARGE amount of money associated with it.

Please stop wasting my time (and your bandwidth) on a needless page telling me what the NEXT page is going to have me do. I can pretty much figure it out when I get there.

Speaking of needless pages...PLEASE stop asking me, on a separate page, whether or not I'm Hispanic. IF I were, I'd check the "Hispanic" choice on the NEXT page that lists all the other various races. You still get the info you need, in a much more efficient manner.

This one's already been listed, but it's worth repeating...please stop using eye-crossing, mind-numbing grids. You're not doing anyone any favors...including the client that requires an accurate response...if you catch my drift...

I've spent a good deal of time filling out my profile when I joined your site...please refer to that profile before sending me an invitation that's going to DQ me before I answer Question One. Or any other question in the screener, for that matter. If my goal were to waste time, I can think of a LOT better ways of accomplishing it.

Please stop using the "drag and drop" method of answering questions. For those of us that have a mouse that isn't always willing to cooperate, that particular exercise becomes EXTREMELY frustrating.

Please have an accurate gauge on each page of the survey that shows my progress. After spending a good deal of time on a survey, if I don't have any idea how much longer 'til the end of what has become a tedious nightmare, my answers may tend to slip in the "thoughtfulness" department. Just sayin'...

Most people, myself included, are willing to provide accurate, and honest responses to your questions. All we ask in return is to be treated with respect, and compensated fairly. This ain't rocket science here...

..Please stop using the "drag and drop" method of answering questions. For those of us that have a mouse that isn't always willing to cooperate, that particular exercise becomes EXTREMELY frustrating...
I had to attach a mouse to my laptop because of the need to drag and drop. I use a Mac with a very good touchpad but drag and drop becomes an exercise in futility on a touchpad. It still is a pain even with a mouse at times. Yes, they need to eliminate the drag and drop method. There are other ways to accomplish the same thing. Makes you wonder how much they put these surveys to the test on different devices for usability.

Great responses JD and BluesJunky! I hate those anthropomorphic questions as well. I also forgot about the progress bar. That should be a requirement on every survey - include a graphic and a % done AND make it be accurate! The drag and drop stuff has to do with responsive design - if the design doesn't work on all platforms, then don't use it. It also makes you wonder if the survey developers actually test their surveys on all platforms, or even all browser versions for that matter.

Look forward to more responses...

As bad as drag and down is, the absolute worst for me is the stupid "Put your fingers on I and E, use it for yes, no, good, bad, whatever crapola they come up with."They love to combine that with the product personality stuff. Like toilet paper, I for loving and E for uncaring. What??? TP is TP, period!

I agree with all those things especially the incentives and qualifying issues. The personality questions for brands and products - I get so many of those and it's stupid it always starts by saying "now we'd like you to do something a bit different and imagine these brands as a person" or whatever and its not even different anymore because they do that so often

• 4 weeks later...

Please totally do away with survey's that do not monetarily compensate you. Survey's that come from companies that force you to use the points you earn to enter contests that nobody wins.

And panels, If you are going to waste my time making money for yourself and giving me nothing then please don't start a panel. Especially when you are a large company like Dell or Bank of America.

Thank You to whomever came up with this idea. If they don't read these at least I was able to rant about it! :o

Oh God -- number 5 especially holy crapananny. Today I did one that I had to scroll down two or three page lengths... I was so close to the end of the survey that took 20min and then they give me the checkbox from hell... Acckkk

You all had me rolling!!! Do you read minds? Because you sure seem to! I agree with every issue. If I don't fit the demographic, then bounce me out at the beginning and stop asking for all of my personal data and then all of a sudden cut me out.

I agree with everyone here. They should have only a few questions to see if you qualify. It is like you get used because they get the answers they want and don't have to pay you. My husband is usually in the room with me when I am doing them and hears me complain when I have been doing what I think is a survey only to be told I am not. He cannot believe I do them because he sees how much time is wasted trying to find a survey to do. He says these companies at least most of them just use people. I tend to agree for the most part. Also when I do cash out the first time I seem to get fewer and fewer surveys from these companies. When I seem to find a couple I do good with and begin to get excited that maybe I can make a little money I cash out and the surveys get less. Does this happen to others.

I HAVE ALL THESE SUGGSETIONS AND I AM GOING TO GO ON YOUTUBE SOMETIME SOON WHEN I GET MY WEBCAM UP. I AM NOT USING ANYBODYS NAME. JUST WANT TO PUT IT OUT THERE MAYBE A FEW OTHERS WILL SEE IT AND WELL GET SOMETHING GOING TO HOPEFULLY GET THESE COMPANIES TO REALIZE WHAT SURVEY SITE ARE DOING AS FAR AS DQ US ON LAST QUESTION SAYING WE DON'T QUALIFY, ECT........................ :idea:

all i have to say is, you get what you give.. if these companies are cutting our amounts and expecting value from us on top of it.. it's just not happening.. my effort level goes down as your pay goes down.. especially if i know another good panel pays more for the same type survey.. how can you expect to give your clients results they want when they pay you to get them, if you're going to cut the labor? hasn't anyone taken notice of what labor is like when you move it offshore to China? pay well and you'll get quality..

As bad as drag and down is, the absolute worst for me is the stupid "Put your fingers on I and E, use it for yes, no, good, bad, whatever crapola they come up with."They love to combine that with the product personality stuff. Like toilet paper, I for loving and E for uncaring. What??? TP is TP, period!

yeah really! I mean, cant we just click on it? I mean, duh!!