20/20 Panel Now Has A Survey Division

Njsurveyman

For those who are familiar with 20/20 Panel, it had always been a virtual focus group company. Now, they have expanded to include survey taking. I never participated in any of their focus groups, but must warn that their survey panel division doesn't seem worth it to me so far. Most of their surveys offered to me so far were about 20 min long, paying low amount of points. You need 1,000 minimum points to cash out...but no cold hard cash, only gift cards will be offered. Furthermore, they require that you upload a real picture of yourself in your profile page, before being able to view your points earned or be able to cash out. Sounds like an invasion of privacy to me. Again my opinion is that it's not worth my time, but maybe others on here will have a positive experience with them.

• 7 months later...

Yeah, I think their survey division flopped out. I only received a few invites at the very beginning and now I cannot even find the section on their website for their survey division. I guess it was something they experimented with and didn't work out. I haven't even received a focus group invite from them for a while.

I remember that, when they sent out emails saying "Join our Survey Panel!" I did but never got a survey from them, never saw one on their website either. They were called "iMatter" surveys, but I never saw any.

I haven't gotten any focus group invites via email for quite a while, but their Twitter feed is very active, but not all posts are of projects. I logged in to the site and looked under available surveys and there were about 5 focus group or online interview to apply for, but screener dates were between Oct & Nov, so older ones aren't even worth bothering with since they've often already been filled or even gone by. I didn't see the screeners that were posted via Twitter on this page, nor vice versa; and as most people figured out, you really have to fill out a screener near to when they post it in order to hope to get a chance to be picked for it. I find it tedious, that without the email invites to prompt you to try, in order to stay on top of this and have a prayer for getting into a project, you'd have to check their Twitter every day, AND login to their site to look in both places for newly posted screeners. Their FB page is also active and posts pretty much the same stuff as their Twitter Feed. I did read this employee's response to a woman's question about not receiving email invites:

"I have looked into your profile and it looks like you may have signed up through our old site (we are in a transition between our new and old site) and some of your information is missing which is why we aren't able to identify you for a study. You'll want to log into the community here: join.2020panel.com and update your profile."

They're in transition between old and new sites? For over a year now? Yow... So if you signed up on their old site you're not getting invited, but all the new people are? I would've thought that surely after more than a year, they'd have fixed up their site and email issues. She also said that there's info missing from that lady's profile. Well, I remember the email invite asking old members to journey to the new site and fill in the profiles and some info would be transferred. So they have a database, a wealth of knowledge about participants, and you can't get software solutions to transfer that info to a new database and site? It sounds all wonky and not very professional at all. Maybe they just don't have the budget. When I signed up for the new site, I filled out all my info, so there's really no reason, (according to any of her excuses,) that I shouldn't be getting email invites..

I also noted that their projects had rewards listed that were a fraction of what they used to pay for them - despite all the pictures on the site of people with 20/20 Panel gift cards with $200 and $300 printed on them. Bah.

It's hard for companies to compete in these financially insecure times. More people are looking for any kind of side money, so they have much larger pool to pull from, so they don't have to pay as much. More projects are being moved online, because it's cheaper than having a focus group in a room with heat, lights, rent, tech, etc, so that also brings the reward money down. Maybe it's a mom-and-pop style agency, maybe lack of business or too much competition has killed their budget, I'm not really sure. From my observations, they just seem to be having trouble; or at the very least, they just don't seem to be as well-oiled and polished as a company, as they once were only a few years ago...

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the feedback. However, I must add that in the NYC area, there are still several focus groups held in person (in some very nice buildings too). I do not see that dying out. In fact, I was involved in a recent high tech study that involved putting a gel-cap on your head that measured your brainwaves regarding their product. This supposedly gives companies more information than any type of survey or focus group could provide (according to what I was told). It's the same principle as lie-detecter testing. Therefore, I foresee more studies like that in the future, but probably for less pay than the current avg. of $100 focus group incentives considering you are doing less and don't even have to speak.