Tax forms and reported earnings for surveys?

rtsl35

I have some questions about taxes, if anyone has some insight.

For the earnings we make from the surveys, what form do we fill out? Is there another form to fill out for *gift cards we receive?

Also, do we use these forms to report our earnings from surveys, to the IRS?

Last, besides doing surveys, I earn a small amount of cash (around $100 a month), by selling things. So, would I use the same form to report my earnings from surveys, as the form I use to report these earnings as well?

Sorry to be so confusing, and I hope this question is ok here!

For the earnings we make from the surveys, what form do we fill out? Is there another form to fill out for *gift cards we receive?

Last, besides doing surveys, I earn a small amount of cash (around $100 a month), by selling things. So, would I use the same form to report my earnings from surveys, as the form I use to report these earnings as well?

Normally once you are over $600, the survey company will ask you for your SSN. I just reached over the $600 amount with Clixsense and they asked for my SSN at my last payout. Otherwise, if you are under that, I don't think there really is a need to report it on your taxes. I have been taken surveys for 10 years on various panels and this is my first time ever having to do it. I usually don't make over $600 a year with any survey company. I don't anticipate having to do it with any others. I am more frequent on Clixsense and they have more work/tasks and surveys available. Thus, why I am able to make more with them.

Normally once you are over $600, the survey company will ask you for your SSN. I just reached over the $600 amount with Clixsense and they asked for my SSN at my last payout. Otherwise, if you are under that, I don't think there really is a need to report it on your taxes. I have been taken surveys for 10 years on various panels and this is my first time ever having to do it. I usually don't make over $600 a year with any survey company. I don't anticipate having to do it with any others. I am more frequent on Clixsense and they have more work/tasks and surveys available. Thus, why I am able to make more with them.

By law you are to report all earnings no matter the amount.Heck you even have to tell the IRS how much in taxes you paid on a item you purchased in another state and claim that.It's all so confusing.But since the IRS is back logged without having enough employees to do audits the chances of being audited are slim,but there still is that chance.So it's up to you but you could or could not be audited.

By law you are to report all earnings no matter the amount.Heck you even have to tell the IRS how much in taxes you paid on a item you purchased in another state and claim that.It's all so confusing.But since the IRS is back logged without having enough employees to do audits the chances of being audited are slim,but there still is that chance.So it's up to you but you could or could not be audited.

As I stated above, I have been doing the surveys for 10 years and I haven't had a problem. Half of the time I didn't make that much because I wasn't doing them as frequently as I do now. I started taking surveys when I was in college at 19 years old. And sometimes between college and working I did not have the time to do them like I do now. I will report whatever I receive tax forms for. For me that is usually my w2 and tax statements for interest on my student loans. I have had temp jobs before where I didn't even make over $600 and I was not required to report it. I found this out myself by calling the IRS myself when I didn't receive a w2 from the companies.

Not trying to prove a point or lash out or be mean .Just wanted to pass on info that we have discussed here before,so here is a link from the Survey Police site and what it says on the subject.

https://www.google.com/url?q=https://ww ... antC-tKe1g

Considering that tax laws are difficult enough to understand, no wonder each person is going to have their own opinion on it.Even people who work for the IRS or even CPA'S for that matter:)I don't think you'll find to many people agreeing on the subject entirely.

Bottom line, if you are not asked to provide a SS number, then the IRS has no way of knowing if you made any money from a survey company. The Only company that has requested my SS number was Amazon Mechanical Turk. However, it says in their small printed email, that only income over $500 would be reported to the IRS. Yes, technically by law, you're supposed to report $1 or $2 that a friend gave you once or a $20 bill in a birthday card. But, impossible for them to know. However, if paypal starts asking for your SS number (which they may in the future), then we would have to report everything to be on the safe side.

Bottom line, if you are not asked to provide a SS number, then the IRS has no way of knowing if you made any money from a survey company. The Only company that has requested my SS number was Amazon Mechanical Turk. However, it says in their small printed email, that only income over $500 would be reported to the IRS. Yes, technically by law, you're supposed to report $1 or $2 that a friend gave you once or a $20 bill in a birthday card. But, impossible for them to know. However, if paypal starts asking for your SS number (which they may in the future), then we would have to report everything to be on the safe side.
PayPal may ask for your SSN right now. There is a reporting requirement that if you have over 200 transactions and $20,000 in payments they are required to report that to the IRS. Often, even though the requirement is an AND they often start asking for SSN well before 200 transactions even though you are nowhere near $20,000 in payments. So, act appropriately.

Bottom line, if you are not asked to provide a SS number, then the IRS has no way of knowing if you made any money from a survey company. The Only company that has requested my SS number was Amazon Mechanical Turk.

LiveWire Research also requires all their members to provide their SSNs. I completed 3 of their surveys last month for total of $15 and now they refuse to pay me until I email them my SSN

Bottom line, if you are not asked to provide a SS number, then the IRS has no way of knowing if you made any money from a survey company. The Only company that has requested my SS number was Amazon Mechanical Turk.

LiveWire Research also requires all their members to provide their SSNs. I completed 3 of their surveys last month for total of $15 and now they refuse to pay me until I email them my SSN

I'm surprised they even sent you a survey without the number.I've been with them 10 years and I gave them my number,but they didn't send one until I sent it back.But after I did I joined here (SP)and was told to never give it out but I already had.I have never had any problem with them either so at least that worked out. Plus they are the only ones who have ever asked for one.I was also hoping that meant they would pay me over $600 for the year but that didn't happen either.They are the only survey company who has my social.

• 3 years later...