W-9 / Opinion Outpost

Cliche01

I take surveys from Opinion Outpost, operated by Survey Sampling International. This month when I went to cash out points, I was told I need to submit a W-9 form as I'd apparently reached the limit of what I could cash out in a year without the site reporting it as income to the IRS. I've printed off the form from the IRS site and filled it out, but now can't get Opinion Outpost to tell me where to send it even after four e-mails. The main address of Survey Sampling seems to be in Shelton, CT but they also have other offices, so at a bit of a loss. Has anyone else had this happen and can give me some pointers? Also is it just me, or has Opinion Outpost totally failed to answer most e-mails this past year? Thanks in advance for any help.

I'm at $99.10 right now with them... but I only opened the account about a week into July. So I won't be anywhere near 600 dollars this year, but if they're still as lucrative next year, I might have to worry about it :D. They're definitely by far the biggest total earner for me, since I started this experiment a couple months ago.

I haven't had any problem with them responding to my emails - though they do tend to be a bit slow to respond (i.e. a couple days on average).

Oh crap.

"If you reside in the United States and you’ve claimed $500 or more in a calendar year, you will need to submit a Form W-9.

Please contact the helpdesk for further information."

Guess I need to submit a W-9. I can't cash out. Never got an email from them saying they need a W-9. My records show I haven't claimed $500 this year. Short of $500 but with pending it would be over $500.

Oh crap.

"If you reside in the United States and you’ve claimed $500 or more in a calendar year, you will need to submit a Form W-9.

Guess I need to submit a W-9. I can't cash out. Never got an email from them saying they need a W-9. My records show I haven't claimed $500 this year. Short of $500 but with pending it would be over $500.

I always thought it was 600 a year I will have to watch my points now because 1am at 350.00 and we have 4 more months to go and I usually will cash out once a month anywhere from 30.00 to 50.00

Oh crap.

I always thought it was 600 a year I will have to watch my points now because 1am at 350.00 and we have 4 more months to go and I usually will cash out once a month anywhere from 30.00 to 50.00
Yes, it is $600 when they are legally required to report but for some reason OO projects and start to collect at $500 or near $500 I guess.

did they change it? the past few years including last year i've gone up to around 575 without being asked for it.. i asked them a few times about it and they said it was 600.. i've never heard of their limit being 500.. i'll email them about it and ask for sure what it is..

ok I got a reply and it looks like they've changed from last year.. last year they didn't ask me for anything when I went over 500 and came within 20 of 600.. here is the reply.

It is up to the our survey members to report their individual earnings to the IRS. If you have redeemed $600 or more in a calendar year with us, we are required to report these earnings. At your $500 redemption point, we will require tax identification information, before we allow you to cash out.

what I don't get is why we weren't told about this and why their policy terms makes no mention of it..

• 2 weeks later...
I sent mine to the Shelton, CT address with no problem.

I finally did hear back from Opinion Outpost customer service, and yeah, that's the address you have to physically snail-mail the form too. The limit is now apparently $500 for those who were asking, after that, they have to legally report any rewards you get to the IRS as taxable income. In any case, they've reinstated my rewards, so sending in the W-9 does work.

I sent mine to the Shelton, CT address with no problem.

I finally did hear back from Opinion Outpost customer service, and yeah, that's the address you have to physically snail-mail the form too. The limit is now apparently $500 for those who were asking, after that, they have to legally report any rewards you get to the IRS as taxable income. In any case, they've reinstated my rewards, so sending in the W-9 does work.

I'm still waiting over a week for a response but I did find the Shelton address on their site. Any particular department/person this should be directed to? Don't understand why they tell you to contact customer service when could just put the address as part of the message.

• 3 weeks later...

I received that notification a few years back when I was always cashing out for Paypal funds, but they let me cash out for Amazon claim codes instead. I guess claim codes must not count as actual earnings, or something?