Amazon raised threshold minimum for free shipping

footfree

Went to order my daughter a gift and it said in order to buy this and get free shipment I need $49 of items.Then I noticed if I wanted to

order a book for my other daughter I had to buy at least $25 worth of books in order to get free shipping.Guess that book isn't included

with my other order which is housewares.I also needed a couple of other things but since they had free shipping to begin with I couldn't

add it to my original house ware buy.It sounds all so confusing and it is.Not sure if I want to continue buying with Amazon anymore.

Plus a lot of their sister sites that they own have gone up in shipping prices.Guess it's the price you pay for free returns of items

you may not want to keep when buying with them.

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe I am wrong, but I thought that you had to purchase $49 worth of stuff to get free shipping, but if you bought $25 worth of books, everything else in your order was shipped for free.  Maybe they are trying to get everybody to join Prime.  I have been tempted at times, because you can view lots of tv shows and movies for free if you are a member of Prime.  A few months ago they had a special on Prime for new members.  I think it was $70 for the first year.  I only order from Amazon approximately 2 times a year, because I combine orders to avoid paying for shipping.

Let me play devil's advocate for a second here :) Every time the postal services increases their rates like they did in January, Amazon has to raise their minimum order amount to qualify for free shipping. Every time a company has to pay more for something it gets passed onto us as the consumer one way or another. It's not shady, it's just business.

I've placed orders before where certain things don't count towards the free shipping total, usually those items are being offered by third-party sellers. I'm pretty sure there's a way to avoid seeing those though (check box "Fulfilled by Amazon", I think). Honestly, I'm just glad any sites still offer a free shipping option in today's economy.

To me the massive amount of third party sellers have ruined Amazon just like they ruined eBay. Their prices aren't that competitive and you never know if you are buying name brand or counterfeit items. Now with the $49 minimum free shipping they are officially just another option.

To answer NFriday. The book service is different from the retail so you still need the $49 minimum for free shipping on everything else. I might have to finally become a prime member. My average purchase was $35 just to get the free shipping and sometimes that's hard to do because all I really want to spend is 25 or 30 at a time.

The only reason I spend as much on Amazon as I do is because of all the GC I get for doing surveys.  I purchased $500 worth of stereo components at Amazon a few years ago, and I would have not been able to afford them if I did not have the GC.  I am currently saving up to buy a computer on Amazon to replace the one that I currently have that is 6 years old.  I also purchase CD's, books, ink cartridges and socks and underwear on there, and I am probably going to purchase my next TV on Amazon.  When my microwave died on me last Summer though, I ended up getting a new one at Sears.  There was nothing on Amazon I was interested in.

GC money is all I spend too. I bought a $400 TV a few months ago. Free shipping and it took 7 days to even ship it. If you don't have prime they make you wait. It wasn't always like that.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree KSEDWAR not all their items are good prices.To many other places to shop.I do get the gc from survey companies and I'm letting them  pile up because there is nothing I need or want.I typically buy gifts with the gc cards but now that is hard to do no one wants cd's or movies anymore.I don't buy on Amazon just for the sake of buying .I thought about joining prime for a minute then thought ,No.I will not be strong armed into doing something when it will probably cost me more in the long run.I will save my gc and hopefully somebody will want a gift I cant get them from there.Either that or maybe I can sell them to someone.They lost me as a loyal consumer ,but then do they really care?

As for appliances I buy where there is the best price ,where I get points for my purchase to use on other items  I may need and I will only buy on sale.I would buy from Amazon if they had what , want, but most times it doesn't work out that way.

I am saving up to buy a new computer to replace my current one that is 6 years old.  I actually do buy CD's on Amazon.  I know most people now download their music.  I have a set of stereo speakers that I bought on Amazon over a year ago, and I found out they were not a good fit for my receiver.  They are still in the unopened box, and I can't sell them on craigslist, or on the facebook local garage sale board I joined.  I also buy books occasionally too, although if I have to purchase $25 worth of books to get free shipping on books, that might make me think twice.  I would never order large appliances on Amazon, but I would have no problem ordering computers, stereo equipment  or TV's on Amazon.

Prime is $99 a year although you get all kinds of free movies and tv shows to screen, and that is the only reason I might be tempted since I do not have cable.

• 2 weeks later...

Amazon now offers you the option of signing up for Prime for $99.  This is their annual membership rate, or just signing up a month at a time.  If you just want to sign up for one month of Prime, it will cost you $9.95.  You will get free shipping for the month, as well as free movies and tv shows that you can view.  This might be worth it if you are ordering something that is heavy, and thus would cost a fortune to ship.

Let me play devil's advocate for a second here :) Every time the postal services increases their rates like they did in January, Amazon has to raise their minimum order amount to qualify for free shipping. Every time a company has to pay more for something it gets passed onto us as the consumer one way or another. It's not shady, it's just business.

I've placed orders before where certain things don't count towards the free shipping total, usually those items are being offered by third-party sellers. I'm pretty sure there's a way to avoid seeing those though (check box "Fulfilled by Amazon", I think). Honestly, I'm just glad any sites still offer a free shipping option in today's economy.

I understand that companies need to make money but the price of Diesel fuel has gone down,plus the post office just lowered the price of the stamp.I realize trickle down effect however I don't think they will pass this on either.I think it's their way of strong arming us into doing business on their terms only and I don't like it.I can drive, I have a car and I go to the store and buy at the same price they are selling a item  for cheaper.Case in point I was going to get my Mom a steam cleaner it said on their site that if I was a prime member I can buy it for $49.99

Shark Light and Easy Steam Mop (S3251)

if not a prime $59.00 plus free shipping.I was like okay I will go to Walmart's web site and lo and behold same steam mop there was $49.98.Shipped to my house free after buying another $2. item -free shipping at $50.So if I can do this why would I ever need to pay for prime?

This statement isn't directed at you Stiletto it's just a general idea I have, but I think it's in our best interest as consumers to know the value of a item and to try to get the best deal.Plus I do pay for shipping at some places but it has to be a reasonable price if not I will drive and buy it.Gas isn't that expensive and I get it a lot faster then it takes them to ship it,so that option is better for me.Maybe I have to much time on my hands but I'm always looking for the best deal.Better the money in my pocket then theirs is my motto.

One thing about Amazon that doesn't get much attention is they do not turn a profit (yet). The money they do bring in is used to pay employees and investors with the rest being used for new Amazon services and expanding the company footprint. This new monthly Prime membership as all about expanding their Prime Video service to compete with Netflix. Amazon is beginning to create original movie content and throwing in Prime memberships with the monthly Prime Video subscription guarantees they will get a bunch of new subscribers. The price increases are frustrating for us consumers but it's what they have to do to grow and stay competitive. It does feel kind of crappy though to be expected to pay inflated shipping prices so they can use the money on drone delivery, designing new Kindles, groceries and tons of other stuff I don't want from them.

Netflix has yet to turn a profit either. Their prices are going up too.

I'll continue with Netflix that one doesn't bother me like  Amazon. I will only buy with Amazon as a way to spend the gift certificates I get  .I'll let them pile up and hopefully get Christmas gifts for everyone that way.I read up about them after reading your post and maybe that is what they do but like you I don't have a need for the other services they offer.Probably better for me anyways,best way to live longer is to move, so I will move my butt out the door and to the store.

• 1 month later...

I shop there a lot with gift codes and yes they raised the free shipping to $49 thinking that will make people get Prime. I think what it might do is make them lose business.

• Like 1