Online Survey Sites that don't DQ you or rarely DQ you

1cent2help

What are GM and GTM?

The problem with poorly constructed surveys is you often reach a dead end right in the middle. A video doesn't play or there's no suitable answer to a question  or the "continue " button doesn't work.  I'll give it another go tonight.

most work/surveys on mturk are trash....  but there is enough good work/surveys to go around.  the best stuff on mturk usually gets snatched up as soon as they are posted.  you got to be quick, and search for stuff based on the "latest hits."  most importantly,  mturk has several forums much like this forum with a bunch of workers talk about the best jobs... you can google search to find them and pick the one you like the most.  

How many hours a day do you work for the $50?

I've given mturk another go, with about $12 my first 2 nights, maybe 3 hours each, actually faster than the survey sites once I got the hang of it.  Very few DQ's.  Do they have a high turnover of HITS?  I've already done almost all I was qualified for minus the ones that demanded huge amounts of time.

Any particular forum you recommend? i remember now I used a forum a few years ago.

Pinecone is great and they pay $3.00 a survey.

Pinecone's difficult to get into. Have applied twice and they don't need more members.

Oh heh, sorry. GM = "Greasemonkey", a Firefox plugin that lets you install javascript helpers people have written to do various things. There are some really nice ones for mturk - the really essential one is the one that sticks a turkopticon link next to every HIT, so you can see which hits are total garbage at a glance. (By poorly constructed, I just mean questions that weren't clear, typos, etc. Those I just roll my eyes and do the best I can. HITs that actually literally don't work, so you can't complete them, you should be able to filter out most of those by using TO (turkopticon) and just avoiding the ones with awful scores. :))

p.s. I picked up most of this from browsing the mturk subreddit.

Grease Monkey's beyond me, and I don't know javascript. You mean you can find comments telling you which ones are wonky? Where are they?

You don't need to know anything about javascript in order to install greasemonkey scripts, only to write them (or troubleshoot them if one stops working and the guy that wrote the script isn't around to fix it). You just: step 1, install Greasemonkey (if you're using Firefox, or Tampermonkey if you're using Chrome), step 2, find a script you want to include and install it (if you don't have Greasemonkey installed, it'll just look like a javascript file; if you do have Greasemonkey installed, your browser will notice that and give you a button to install the script.)

The comments telling you which ones are wonky, I already mentioned, are hosted by the site Turkopticon. Strictly speaking you don't need Greasemonkey to get there - the Greasemonkey script just automatically looks up the TO ratings whenever you're looking at a HIT, with a link to the comments page for the requester, instead of you having to go find it on the site yourself. It's pretty invaluable if you're going to use mturk much. And yes, there is totally a high turnover rate - most good surveys disappear quickly, as I said on the previous page, meaning most surveys that stick around a long time are because they're either stupidly long for the pay, or broken :P. When I was new, I would go digging through all the pages of available surveys people had posted, which I've learned is not a good use of my time. I just do surveys others have recommended, and sometimes also glance through the first page of surveys (sorted by most recently posted) for HITs that look good on TO (or sometimes I'll take a chance on HITs posted by new people that don't have any ratings yet, if they look interesting or short.)

I also already posted http://hitgrabber.net/ - that has a list of all the places it pulls posts from, those are all the forums thedorchannel may have been talking about (plus, as I said, the subreddit "hitsworthturkingfor", which it also pulls from, and which is not technically a forum, though similar enough.)

edit: also yeah, this thread has totally turned into a mostly mturk thread. It might make sense to have our admin chop all the mturk posts into a separate mturk discussion thread, heh.

How many hours a day do you work for the $50?

I've given mturk another go, with about $12 my first 2 nights, maybe 3 hours each, actually faster than the survey sites once I got the hang of it.  Very few DQ's.  Do they have a high turnover of HITS?  I've already done almost all I was qualified for minus the ones that demanded huge amounts of time.

Any particular forum you recommend? i remember now I used a forum a few years ago.

usually around 5-6 hours.  The key is using scripts that help you find hits (like mentioned above) and if you aren't ready for that, join a forum and look at the LATEST posts, and talk with people.  I use mturkcrowd the most.

once your hit count goes up, you will be allowed to do more hits... I recommend also doing the microtasks as well since those are a good way to get higher amounts in a day.  A lot of them suck, but there are some REALLY good ones as well if you use the right tools (1st get greasemoney, then get hitscraper and hit monitor)  The browser add ons seem complicated at first, but they are really easy to use.

oh and the most work is up during business hours (mon-fri 8-6pm)

edit: also yeah, this thread has totally turned into a mostly mturk thread. It might make sense to have our admin chop all the mturk posts into a separate mturk discussion thread, heh.

well the thread is about survey sites that dont DQ, and thats pretty much why I use mturk over other survey sites.  When I joined this site 2 years ago, I used Clixsense and Swagbucks to do the marketing surveys that always DQed you after a few questions... I know all about Lab42, Ipsos, globatestmarketing, neilson and all that jazz.  I was frustrated with all that stuff.

However the surveys on mturk are educational surveys that have to do with experiments, so more people are allowed to do them.

Pinecone's difficult to get into. Have applied twice and they don't need more members.

I didn't know Pinecone had a quota. Guess I got there at the right time.

Huh, I wasn't aware Pinecone had a quota either.  I got signed up with it via an offer sent from another site, though I can't recall which now.  Likey OO as they used to send out offers for other sites in the guise of 'surveys'. 

I've registered with about 30 sites, I've kept a record of points and redemptions in a notebook, and I'm weeding out the ones that have too high a minimum for payment. I've already weeded out those that get poor reviews here by not registering with them at all.  You might want to try keeping such a record. A high DQ rate means the company is not matching your profile properly to their surveys. Nothing you can do about it, except stop using those companies. 

They're usually looking for people in the mainstream.

I know why I get DQ from so many, so check out your own profile with this:

I'm 69.

I have a feature phone, not a smartphone

I don't pay for TV service, and I don't get the shows that are on cable

My car is very old, and I'm not shopping for a new one

I live in an apartment, not a home

I'm not shopping for a home

I don't have financial instruments aside from checking and savings accounts

I have no children

I rarely buy junk food, never buy bottled water

My profile:

i'm 68

I have a flip phone (only because i can't afford a smartphone)

I have cable with hundreds of cable channels that I don't watch

My car is from 1998 and I'm not shopping for a new one

i live in a home and not looking for another one

i have a tiny IRA

My children don't live at home

I've never been asked if I buy junk food but I don't buy bottled water either

Since I discovered the awesomeness of mturk (when done right), I've... kinda stopped taking as many other surveys from other survey sites, cause this is my beer money hobby, not my day job, and mturk beats the pants off other sites, so I always go there first. :) I've cashed out on mturk (i.e. had 10+ dollars) roughly every 2-3 days for the past couple months, with almost no effort. Mturk is awesome (again: if and only if you know what you're doing.)

I signed up for mturk a couple years ago, got very confused on how it all worked and just never bothered after that. I would love to earn some $$ because my SS just doesn't stretch far enough. I waste 3/4 of my day trying to do surveys and other tasks on survey sites, which is very frustrating.

I don't know what the secret is with mturk. Where do I find that info?

I just went into mturk and saw a bunch of surveys, etc. that I qualified for but I couldn't access them. I must really be dense. How DO you access the jobs?

HITS with the word "survey" for which I'm qualified, that pay $1 or more: Some are invitation only, and some are follow-ups. One pays $1 for 60 minutes. 4 hours for $3.25. Really?

https://www.mturk.com/mturk/searchbar?selectedSearchType=hitgroups&searchWords=survey&minReward=1.00&qualifiedFor=on&x=6&y=10

You've found some golden nugget in there that's eluding me. Are you doing transcriptions too?

Do you think we should start a separate thread for MTurk?

Transcriptions? What kind of transcription? I was an experienced medical and legal transcriptionist for over 20 years. Lost my medical transcription job because of offshoring to India, Pakistan, etc. 

I know there are some (relatively) great transcription HITs around sometimes, and also a constant enormous sea of truly terrible-paying ones, as is always the case with any kind of HITs (the good ones go fast, leaving a giant pile of HITs that don't go fast because they're broken, pay terribly, or otherwise stink.) That's about all I know about transcription, though, as I mainly stick to surveys.

You can find just huge gobs of info about what the secret is by perusing various faqs and things people have written on the subject if you google around - you can also start by reading the posts in this thread where I've been answering peoples' questions the past few days about it ;). I agree, it was super confusing when I started playing with it last year, too - there's a reason you can make more, because you have a lot more control, but for the same reason, it's also a lot more complicated and a lot easier to do terribly at it, too, if you don't know how to do it right. :)

• 2 weeks later...