Has anyone had to fill out a W9 form?

habeascorpus

Hello,

I was curious if anyone here has had to fill out a W9 form for a survey panel to continue earning money?  

I recently passed the $500 dollar threshold for a calendar year on one site and now they have blocked me from cashing out additional rewards until I send them a W9 form.  Has anyone else here done this?  Im also wondering how this will affect my individual taxes? I would prefer not to report my earnings to the IRS...lol.

Yeah, obviously, everyone would prefer not to report their earnings, duh :P. Strictly speaking, you're supposed to report them anyway, it's just not worth anyones' time to go after people who only made like a hundred bucks doing something. I know at least most of the main ones do report your income if you make at least 5-600 bucks, and then force you to acknowledge that, yes, you are indeed supposed to report taxes.

Most sites I'm on more the piddling amount per site side, though I've already well passed the "IRS might actually notice this" mark on mturk (which apparently no longer does send peoples' earnings to the IRS, but still, I wouldn't want to get caught somehow.)

Yes, I went over the 600 limit Opinion Outpost has last year, and they required me to do that in order to be able to keep cashing out.  Once they received it, I was up and running again (Had to physically snail mail it). They later sent me a form 1099 - MISC which I turned into the IRS and it really didn't seem to have much effect as I still got a refund.  As neminem stated above, they legally have to report it as taxable income, what you do from there is your choice, but technically you are supposed to turn it in.

• Like 1

Yes I had to do it for one survey site last year. I made over $1000 with them. You have to fill it out, no ifs ands or buts about it. Yes you have to report it on your taxes. It didn't really affect much on mine. I still received a tax refund.

I had to as well with the parent company of globaltest market & mysurvey.  I thought I was ok over 300 on each company but when it came to reporting the income they and another company are pooled together.  Didn't make a difference on my taxes.  What I make on surveys plus being an election poll worker gets donated so it's a wash to me

• 1 year later...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the income reports requested if threshold hits the $600 bar only? I barely can give you a clear answer to your question, but sort of suggestion: send them anything only if this website is definitely trusted. But speaking from experience with having a deal with IRS, there ain't anything wrong with these guys, and it's quite easy nowadays to get this form as well. There are a lot of resources, I prefer to fill mine here  https://w9.pdffiller.com  it's the same as to official IRS website, but works much faster and options to edit are way more variable. But nevertheless, think twice before sending anything to this website