How does taxes on online purchases work

footfree

I wanted to order a pair of jeans from this company  and during the check out process they added on sales tax.Last time I ordered from them there was none so I emailed them and they said they did have a store here where I live.Yet I cant find it on their web site nor can I find it on Google.However I did find boutiques that sell their products and even some department stores.But I thought they had to have a actual brick and motar store with "their" name on it in order for them to charge sales tax?Am I wrong?I emailed them back for the address of the store.I cant understand why they wouldn't have it listed in their store locator button?

However I did find boutiques that sell their products

That's why. That falls under the "Physical Presence in the State" internet/mail order tax law.

• a warehouse in the state
  • a store in the state
  • an office in the state, or
  • a sales representative in the state.

There is also a law called 'Affiliate Nexus' that enables states to collect tax under a wider set of circumstances.

It's becoming more common. States are getting more aggressive about making retailers collect tax on internet sales. More here: Internet Sales Tax: A 50-State Guide to State Laws.

Thanks - I hadn't heard about that , it's nice to know.I guess we all knew that not paying taxes wasn't going to be around forever.The only people who are exempt are those who make under $1 million in annual revenue sales.So now I'm curious about tax free weekend,does that apply to online out of state businesses?

For the tax free weekend online... yes and no? It probably depends each states laws.

From Amazon.

Note: Sales tax may still be charged on items ordered from other sellers that list products for sale via the Amazon.com website. If your items are fulfilled by a seller on our website, you must contact the seller directly. You can find more information about contacting sellers on our Contact Third-Party Sellers Help page.