Anyone have any experience with Nielsen NetRatings?

jellyfish

I received an email from Pinecone last week inviting me to join Nielsen NetRatings. The email appeared to be legit, and I figured if they were affiliated with Pinecone they'd be a good company. The rating here isn't very good though, and I was wondering if anyone here knew much about them. Any info would be appreciated.

One other thing: they want me to install software that will essentially spy on my internet activities, so they can send me related surveys. I'm kind of uncomfortable with this.

Thanks for any info.

I was with Nielsen for awhile, had trouble getting their software to run so I unstalled it. I also felt uncomfortable allowing them to spy on me. I recently read that they were with Pinecone. I do not think not belonging to Nielsen is any great loss, I remember taking a couple of their surveys, and they were'nt much. Just recently I receive an E-mail offering $5.00 to rejoin, and didn't.

Hi - thats the one thing that has kept me away from Nielsen all these years - I was not aware they were anything to do with Pinecone but they may be now. I do not like the idea of installing software, that is too intrusive, especially on a shared computer. My husband would never approve! There are a few companies that ask you to do that, and in general I steer well clear of them.

LizzieAnn

Thanks wellcraft & LizzieAnn. I was/am very hesitant to allow anyone to spy on me in that way and your posts kind of confirm my feelings. I don't think whatever reward(s) I might get from them will make it worth it.

Still interested in people's opinions though, thanks!

LizzieAnn, I got a survey from them (Pinecone) a week or two ago that looked "normal"; I'll have to pay attention when I get the next one. FYI I did write to Pinecone after receiving the initial invitation to Nielsen and they did confirm they are "sister" companies and that it is legit.

Still not going for it though.

I have been invitied a number of times to join Nielsen over the past year or so and have always passed on it.

I also do not like the idea of downloading their software so they can spy on what I do.

In all likely-hood, if I did join, they would probably kick me off because my on-line activites is pretty dang boring!

I just stay away from anyone that wants me to down-load their spy ware. It is really no ones business what I do on-line.

I also don't see how I could be helpful to them, like I said, my on-line time is nothing exciting.