New Forum Design

Administrator

We’ve upgraded the software one last time (we promise!) on the SurveyPolice Forum, fixing some bugs, and giving it a sleeker, cleaner design.

Although functionality-wise things are very similar, you will notice the following improvements:

• login issues resolved; remember, you are automatically able to post on the forum when you create a SurveyPolice account
  • cleaner, simpler design
  • more emojis!  :17_heart_eyes::95_v::88_raised_hands:
  • new badges – users who have achieved the status of Member, Surveys Guru, and Survey Superstar will automatically be awarded shiny new badges

The biggest reason for this latest upgrade (we did a massive one back in January) was to ensure that we’re using the latest forum software – one that won’t be outdated anytime soon. We don’t anticipate any additional future changes to the forum after this.

If you find any bugs or have comments about the new design, please let us know by posting below!

Team SurveyPolice

I'm not a big fan of the new placement of the "Quote" button, specifically the big "+" next to it, which generally means "there is collapsed content, and clicking the plus will expand it", so I keep reflexively trying to expand it. >.>

I'm also a bit sad that it still logs me out automatically after just a few minutes (though I am at least able to log in 100% of the time, so that is an improvement), and now after the update, I also can't see new/recent posts without logging back in each time, which I used to be able to do while not logged in. 

Still, I've seen much worse "improvements" to forums in the past. :P

• Like 1

2 hours ago, neminem said:

I'm not a big fan of the new placement of the "Quote" button, specifically the big "+" next to it, which generally means "there is collapsed content, and clicking the plus will expand it", so I keep reflexively trying to expand it. >.>

I'm also a bit sad that it still logs me out automatically after just a few minutes (though I am at least able to log in 100% of the time, so that is an improvement), and now after the update, I also can't see new/recent posts without logging back in each time, which I used to be able to do while not logged in. 

Still, I've seen much worse "improvements" to forums in the past. :P

Hi neminem,

Thanks for your feedback. The big + for the quote button does seem a bit overkill...we'll see if we can replace that with something a little less loud.

I'm not sure why the forum logs you out automatically...if you close your browser, it will do so automatically, but if you're logged in and browsing, there shouldn't be an issue there. Presumably, your cookies are enabled?

You can view recent posts when you're not logged in by clicking the "All Activity" link beneath the search bar in the top right corner: https://forum.surveypolice.com/index.php?/discover/

1 hour ago, Administrator said:

Presumably, your cookies are enabled?

Possibly corrupted or "broken" from the old forum. Try deleting your cookies and then come back and log in so it can set a new cookie.

2 hours ago, Administrator said:

I'm not sure why the forum logs you out automatically...if you close your browser, it will do so automatically

Ah. That would be the issue, then - I don't generally just leave my browser open all the time. If I no longer have any need of any of the tabs, the browser is no longer open. All the other forums I visit have the ability to use cookies that persist across browser sessions, so it didn't occur to me that this one wouldn't.

21 minutes ago, neminem said:

Ah. That would be the issue, then - I don't generally just leave my browser open all the time. If I no longer have any need of any of the tabs, the browser is no longer open. All the other forums I visit have the ability to use cookies that persist across browser sessions, so it didn't occur to me that this one wouldn't.

SurveyPolice is different from most forums in that you can use the same login for both the forum and the main site. Because of this, we had to ensure that things like browsing sessions don't collide, hence why closing the browser ends the session and you have to log in again. Although this seems inconvenient in some ways, it's more convenient than having a separate log in for the forum and the main site, and it's eliminated a lot of bugs.

In any case, happy that you now know why the forum acts the way it does. :10_wink:

Perhaps you could look into being able to persist the login for the main site, too, then? :P

(It didn't bother me so much before, since before, I could see if there were new threads without logging in; now, that requires logging in.)

I don't have to log in if I go to www.surveypolice.com first but if I come to the forums first I have to log in each time. I was staying logged in on both websites up until today.

Addendum: if it can't log me in automatically, or display recent posts without logging in, then at the very least, if I browse to the recent posts page while not logged in, instead of displaying an ugly "2C280/3" error and a login button, it should just automatically redirect to the login page... and then automatically redirect to the page I intended to view, after I log in. That way there's at least only one extra click instead of three extra clicks plus an ugly error message. :P

Visually I like the colors. The only thing I've had to do is zoom out quite a bit so that both the sub-forum titles and the time last posted are easily within my field of view.  They were too spread out to take them in with a single glance using whatever default is in place.

3 hours ago, neminem said:

Addendum: if it can't log me in automatically, or display recent posts without logging in, then at the very least, if I browse to the recent posts page while not logged in, instead of displaying an ugly "2C280/3" error and a login button, it should just automatically redirect to the login page... and then automatically redirect to the page I intended to view, after I log in. That way there's at least only one extra click instead of three extra clicks plus an ugly error message. :P

Hi neminem,

If you find a bug, we need to know about it in order to fix it. If you could please let us know via PM exactly what you are doing in order to trigger that error message, we can attempt to fix it.

We just found the setting to turn on displaying new topics on the forum homepage. You should be able to see that now.

Regarding being returned to the page you were viewing on the forum not logged in, when you're logged in, you're right, that should be the way it is. We'll try to fix this as soon as possible.