New Forum Design

Administrator

On 2016-11-02 at 3:15 PM, Administrator said:

Regarding being returned to the page you were viewing on the forum not logged in, when you're logged in, you're right, that should be the way it is. We'll try to fix this as soon as possible.

Note that this is now fixed; when you're not logged in and are browsing a topic, upon logging in, you will be brought back to the topic you were last viewing.

36 minutes ago, Administrator said:

Note that this is now fixed; when you're not logged in and are browsing a topic, upon logging in, you will be brought back to the topic you were last viewing.

Huh. Well, that works for everything except the use case I generally want to use (browsing directly to the "Unread Content" list), which is now even more broken: I browse to index.php?/discover/unread, it gives me an error message and tells me to log in, I try to log in, and am still not logged in. That appears to be specific to attempting to open Unread Content specifically: if I open a thread first, then log in, the login is successful. I guess I just have to get used to visiting the main page each session, logging in, then opening the link; I suppose I'll survive.

9 minutes ago, neminem said:

Huh. Well, that works for everything except the use case I generally want to use (browsing directly to the "Unread Content" list), which is now even more broken: I browse to index.php?/discover/unread, it gives me an error message and tells me to log in, I try to log in, and am still not logged in. That appears to be specific to attempting to open Unread Content specifically: if I open a thread first, then log in, the login is successful. I guess I just have to get used to visiting the main page each session, logging in, then opening the link; I suppose I'll survive.

Hi neminem,

That link is not meant to be accessed when not logged in, as it doesn't appear anywhere on the site when you're not logged in. The software cannot know if you've read content or not if you're not logged into your account. This is how the software functions and is not a modification on our end.

The all activity link shows all recent activity on the forum and can be accessed whether you're logged in or not: https://forum.surveypolice.com/index.php?/discover/ Although it doesn't show what's read/unread, it summarizes all activity on the forum in a timeline view.

On 11/2/2016 at 2:51 PM, footfree said:

At least the colors are easy on the eyes- and helpful to those you do have eye issues.

It's a little bright for me. I'd prefer more contrast, especially with the words,  I think it should be darker lettering, they''re too light.

• Like 2

I also don't like that pop up box about sending notifications on every page, even if you click "not now".   It doesn't say what notifications and if you click more info it goes to Mozilla. 

It should tell you what kind of notifications, I'm scared to click it to make it go away for fear of it filling up my email with notifications of every single post. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, somelady said:

I also don't like that pop up box about sending notifications on every page, even if you click "not now".   It doesn't say what notifications and if you click more info it goes to Mozilla. 

It should tell you what kind of notifications, I'm scared to click it to make it go away for fear of it filling up my email with notifications of every single post. 

Hi somelady,

The notification box you're seeing is a Firefox feature, and not a problem with the forum per se.

It's basically asking you if the forum has permission to send your browser notifications. For instance, if you receive a new PM, or if someone has replied to a post that you subscribed to, a notification box will appear within your browser window if you agree to receive the notifications. It is not related to email.

It's too bad Mozilla does not make this more clear. There's nothing to be afraid of.

16 hours ago, Administrator said:

The all activity link shows all recent activity on the forum and can be accessed whether you're logged in or not: https://forum.surveypolice.com/index.php?/discover/ Although it doesn't show what's read/unread, it summarizes all activity on the forum in a timeline view.

Thanks. That's not perfect, but it's better than the kinda-buggy way the /discover/unread page worked when not signed in (which, given the way being signed out works, would be pretty much all the time). I guess I'll bookmark that instead. 

edit: in that case, I have a feature request for that page, if it's possible to do: is there any way for you to allow us to specify that we just want to see posts, but don't care if someone joined the forum, liked a post, changed their avatar, etc? Thanks (if possible.)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It always takes a little getting used to when a website upgrades(changes).

Seems to be faster or rather more responsive than the old version. I like that.

On 11/5/2016 at 3:12 AM, Administrator said:

Hi somelady,

The notification box you're seeing is a Firefox feature, and not a problem with the forum per se.

It's basically asking you if the forum has permission to send your browser notifications. For instance, if you receive a new PM, or if someone has replied to a post that you subscribed to, a notification box will appear within your browser window if you agree to receive the notifications. It is not related to email.

It's too bad Mozilla does not make this more clear. There's nothing to be afraid of.

I noted that as well. Knew it was a Firefox "feature" , but it gets annoying fast.

I don't mean to be rude but I don't like the new design, I find it really hard to read. Because the threads are spaced farther apart its not easy to scan read them and takes lots of scrolling down, it all looks too spread out for me if that makes sense, I can't really explain it sorry but I find it takes more effort to read. Its also too white everywhere. Also the icon of who started the thread on the right of the threads aren't easy to see because they're small and quite far from the thread title (my sight is fine). I'm on a tablet so maybe it's not as bad on PC.