DQ for refusing personal information

oldchap

Had a survey invite from Opinion Outpost, took me to GFK. After 30 minutes of questions there were fields for my name & full postal address (I'd already completed code earlier). Clicked on refused - "You don't meet criteria"!

Linked to another survey, also GFK. Again spent at least 30 minutes, this time it wanted my phone number - refused so again DQ.

So why would a survey want all that personal information, I thought the post/zip code gave demographic data? And why my phone number? I would not give as, despite assurances, I worry what they will use it for.

Sent e-mail, but expect I'll get standard response

Anyone else had this?

So why would a survey want all that personal information, I thought the post/zip code gave demographic data? And why my phone number? I would not give as, despite assurances, I worry what they will use it for.

Never ever give out any of that info...if they want your full name & address/ zip/postal code they're trying to get your info for things other than surveys...like credit card fraud & so on...I had a survey last week on Tellwut ask me for all that info..I just copied the survey number & let the site know what was happening....

21 hours ago, greeneyeddevils said:

Never ever give out any of that info...if they want your full name & address/ zip/postal code they're trying to get your info for things other than surveys...like credit card fraud & so on...I had a survey last week on Tellwut ask me for all that info..I just copied the survey number & let the site know what was happening....

I'd not thought of that! As part of the general info they already had my date of birth, marital status & e-mail. As part of the survey (financial products) they knew who I bank with. If they then got my full name, full address & phone number then they could commit fraud

I think I'll be contacting the Market Research Society (as both Opinion Outpost & GFK claim to abide by the code of practice)

On 2/10/2017 at 6:03 AM, oldchap said:

I'd not thought of that! As part of the general info they already had my date of birth, marital status & e-mail. As part of the survey (financial products) they knew who I bank with. If they then got my full name, full address & phone number then they could commit fraud

I think I'll be contacting the Market Research Society (as both Opinion Outpost & GFK claim to abide by the code of practice)

I assume some companies paying for the survey wants it. I refuse also to give that information and feel if they want full name and address they should say so at the beginning of the survey so you don't waste your time taking it and getting nothing when you refuse giving your name and address. 

I've not had the problem of a survey asking for that sort of information at the end after all the work put into it, but I have had it asked toward the start of some.  What I end up doing is putting in a fake address or one I no longer live at as sometimes the survey can tell whether the info put in is an actual location.  Perhaps that's a bit underhanded, but I have to agree that if a survey claims to be anonymous, there is no reason it should ask for an address, phone number, full name or things of that nature.

Oh how I hate when that stuff is asked at the end of a survey!  I've not been asked recently... but I *have* noticed a trend of finishing a long survey to where it's asking that last demographic stuff and then being told I didn't qualify.  Of course I qualified because I just DID the whole thing.  :-(    Seems as if some places are definitely trying to get freebies.

Old chap, this has happened to me too, I just close the survey and move on. I NEVER EVER give out personal information, there is no reason to give that and if you are asked, my advice is just to walk away. I completed a survey this morning through another survey site that was GFK and at the end it told me I had already done this survey and I did not get credit for the points. I don't think it was the Survey Site's error (in this case Mintvine, and I am waiting to hear back from them) and I think GFK just needs to be reported.

Well, on Sunday I see I said here that I haven't had any recently, but wouldn't ya know it, I did two days ago now.  It had been a long survey and at the very end they wanted my full STREET address so they could "determine which utility company covers my area."   And I thought "oh no you don't!  You could tell THAT by my zip code."  I refused the answer because that was an option and surprise surprise, I screened out.  GRRRRR!