You Gov - why the point discrepancy

footfree

I noticed today that I can turn in 35,000 pts.for a 15.00 AGC ,but wait I could also turn in 30,000 pts. and get a $25 gift certificate to 9 other places,like movies,retail shops and so on.So why in the world would I work harder for less?They say it's the countdown to a $15 agc I  say it's a countdown to being ripped off.Not fair at all.

Uh... because Amazon gift cards are worth more than gift cards to those other places, obviously. I think of Amazon gift cards as "close enough to cash". I do not think of gift cards to anywhere else as being remotely similar to cash. I'd still take them for free, but I wouldn't work for them, whereas I will work for Amazon gift cards. They know that, so charge you more. 

If any of those other gift cards have equivalent value you to as Amazon gift cards, then go you, you're getting more value from YouGov than I am. :P (That said, also notice that the more you save, the more value your points are worth - I only cash out for the highest value Amazon gc, which has a much better value ratio.)

• Like 2

It is that way on other sites as well.  On Valued Opinions site the Macy's $20 card is worth $20 in credits.  The AGC is worth $22 in credits for a $20 card.  So on YouGov I always save up to 100,000 points and get the $100 card.  I have only done that about once every 2 years I think.  But still, it is easy to make the points.

I really hope you all are being facetious - Sorry but I disagree .I cannot go out and cash in a AGC nor can I cash in  one of the other cards for money.Unless I sell them at gift card granny then the AGC has more worth then the other cards,and that's only because more people shop at Amazon  then  the other places.The only thing I get is a item that they are selling.In fact it's worth may cost me more at Amazon depending on the item I buy.Amazon does not have the best price on all things.As far as gift cards are concerned the ones they have  listed  do not expire, unless it was  a Visa card,and that one cost a lot more then 30,000 pts.Sorry a $25 gift card is just that a $25 gift card no matter  what and I am not willing to spend more in points just for the privilege of shopping at their store.

Plus lets say you turn in 2 35,000 point values for $30.00 worth of AGC- Do you realize you can get a $50.00 gift card to Walmart and or Target for 60,000 pts.So now you just spent 70,000 pts and got $20 less worth of stuff.See that just doesn't make sense to me.

18 hours ago, neminem said:

Uh... because Amazon gift cards are worth more than gift cards to those other places, obviously. I think of Amazon gift cards as "close enough to cash". I do not think of gift cards to anywhere else as being remotely similar to cash. I'd still take them for free, but I wouldn't work for them, whereas I will work for Amazon gift cards. They know that, so charge you more.

This is how it is for me, too... Amazon is like cash to me because I can get things like food and housewares, health & beauty, etc.... things to run a household. The first time I cashed out at YouGov, I foolishly chose a gift card because the point value for it was lower... I've regretted that because I do this for household income.  Now I finally cashed out again yesterday and for Amazon this time.  :-D   Not real fond of the idea of waiting for a physical card in the mail, but whatever, I guess.  Seems sending a code via email would be much easier for them and convenient for users.

5 hours ago, footfree said:

As far as gift cards are concerned the ones they have  listed  do not expire, unless it was  a Visa card,and that one cost a lot more then 30,000 pts.Sorry a $25 gift card is just that a $25 gift card no matter  what and I am not willing to spend more in points just for the privilege of shopping at their store.

I may have read your original post wrong... you were talking about cash loaded gift cards like Visa?   My answer (can't speak for the others, of course :-D ) was about "other" gift cards that I don't work for... restaurants and stores that I probably wouldn't visit if I didn't have a gift card.  Case in point, the YouGov I mentioned.  I first turned in for a CVS card.  I don't *shop* there often, so it was a dumb move on my part.

That said, I usually don't go for Visa cards either, especially if Amazon or Paypal is available.  I always go for PayPal first.

7 hours ago, penangel said:

This is how it is for me, too... Amazon is like cash to me because I can get things like food and housewares, health & beauty, etc.... things to run a household. The first time I cashed out at yougov, I foolishly chose a gift card because the point value for it was lower... I've regretted that because I do this for household income.  Now I finally cashed out again yesterday and for Amazon this time.  :-D   Not real fond of the idea of waiting for a physical card in the mail, but whatever, I guess.  Seems sending a code via email would be much easier for them and convenient for users.

Yes I can see what you are saying ,but why not wait get the 60,000 points turn it in for a Target gift card or Walmart card(Walmart eh not as much value). Target has free shipping at $25 versus the cost at Amazon(unless you are a prime member,which I'm not because I only buy there a few times per month).  Plus if you use Cartwheel at Target they have discount coupons to use on items.Off subject did Amazon lower it's shipping rate?I see where it has to be $35 on a lot of items now versus the $49 they use to have?Sorry about that back on track- I just cannot justify using more points and getting a lesser value back in return.But to each their own.

No, it definitely sounds like what footfree is saying is that, to him, Amazon gift cards are worth no more or less than gift cards to other retail stores that YouGov has gift cards to. Which, great for him - he can get a "discount" by buying gift cards to those other places instead of to Amazon. Not everyone agrees with that, though - I certainly don't. I find Amazon cash to be much more cash-like, in that you can buy almost anything on Amazon. I actually had been saving up Amazon cash for the past year, and just cashed out ~800 bucks towards a new laptop. I doubt any of the other places YouGov has gcs for, sell the random obscure-brand laptop I bought, but Amazon did. :P

edit: yes, Amazon did just lower their minimum shipping back to $35, just a week or two ago, I believe. I remember seeing news about it - I've had Prime for a couple years, so I actually didn't know they'd raised it to $49 until I saw the news that they were lowering it back. I do think that's smart of them, though - I remember when I didn't have Prime yet, trying to meet that minimum... $35 is a lot easier at a time than $49, so I'm not surprised they rolled that back. 

1 hour ago, footfree said:

Yes I can see what you are saying ,but why not wait get the 60,000 points turn it in for a Target gift card or Walmart card(Walmart eh not as much value).

Easy one for my personal answer here... because they send me so few surveys, if I'd have to wait for 60,000 points, I'd be buying my rocking chair as my prize.  Takes me forever.  So last time I chose the $25 CVS because yes, I didn't want to wait for 35000 points to get $15 Amazon when I could get $25 for 30000 points.   I got ya now, yes?  And I agree... just because I can personally use Amazon more often (I never pay shipping... I've had prime for years) I don't understand why an Amazon card couldn't be offered at the same rate... everyone else does it and it doesn't cost them more like Paypal might in fees!

• Like 1

First time I cashed out it took me 5 years because I would hardly do any of their surveys.Then I started doing more ,like I would take everyone they sent me.Then I changed my setting to  Survey Frequency As often as possible.Now I cash out about once a year ,well a year and 4 months to be exact.Not great money by a long stretch but their surveys are not all that bad.

BTW - I always wait for the cash payment-said I wasn't going to anymore but I end up always doing so.I want to spend my money anywhere I choose, but that's just me.

6 hours ago, neminem said:

No, it definitely sounds like what footfree is saying is that, to him, Amazon gift cards are worth no more or less than gift cards to other retail stores that yougov has gift cards to. Which, great for him - he can get a "discount" by buying gift cards to those other places instead of to Amazon. Not everyone agrees with that, though - I certainly don't. I find Amazon cash to be much more cash-like, in that you can buy almost anything on Amazon. I actually had been saving up Amazon cash for the past year, and just cashed out ~800 bucks towards a new laptop. I doubt any of the other places yougov has gcs for, sell the random obscure-brand laptop I bought, but Amazon did. :P

edit: yes, Amazon did just lower their minimum shipping back to $35, just a week or two ago, I believe. I remember seeing news about it - I've had Prime for a couple years, so I actually didn't know they'd raised it to $49 until I saw the news that they were lowering it back. I do think that's smart of them, though - I remember when I didn't have Prime yet, trying to meet that minimum... $35 is a lot easier at a time than $49, so I'm not surprised they rolled that back. 

She................... but that's okay.I like to shop and shop around for the best price I can get for anything.Congrats on your new laptop I hope you enjoy and it's alright if we don't agree .I believe we all have a right to our own opinion and I can certainly agree to disagree and go on from there.:)

Oh, heh, sorry about the gender. I should just use singular they instead. :P

Interestingly, I find YouGov fairly decent in terms of cashout frequency. I do every YouGov survey I get; I cashed out for $100 Amazon with them in early December, and I'm 44% of the way to a second one. So not earthshatteringly fast, but definitely better than once a year. Guess they just like my demographic more?

I got this email from them recently. I personally think they are lying about the rewards costing more to process. In my opinion they are selling you an amazon $15 Amazon gift card for $25, not worth it. I will only take the $100 cards for my reward, I can wait 1 or 2 years.

YouGov What the world thinks

Hi there,

Your feedback is very important to us. Whenever we can, we will act on it to improve the experience for everyone.

We've received a bunch of feedback recently about the rewards program: in particular, that it takes too long to earn enough points to redeem, and that once you have enough points, some rewards cost more than others (even though they have the same cash value).

Based on your suggestions, we've reduced the points needed to redeem the following gift cards:
nike.pngamazon.png
  • $15 Amazon card: was 35k, now 25k points
  • $25 Foot Locker card: was 40k, now 30k points
  • $25 Nike card: was 45k, now 30k points
  • $50 Amazon card: was 65k, now 55k points
Some rewards cost more points than others because they're more expensive for us to process. We keep the $100 rewards at exactly 100,000 points because we want to give you every incentive to stick with us all the way through - and maybe even refer a friend!

You can see all the available rewards at: https://today.yougov.com/account/

Thanks for your continued participation with us!

Kelly Connor
YouGov
YouGovFooter.gif

• Like 1

25,000 for the Amazon now instead of 35,000... that's good to hear!   I know that some redemptions *do* cost more because of fees (I think PayPal would, and how I wish they'd offer Paypal even with fees removed!)    but *Amazon* costing them more?!   That really doesn't make sense... no other online place that offers that as payment ever mentioned such a thing or charged more for Amazon.

But that said, it *is* encouraging that what was 35k is now 25k.  I do every single survey they have available and it still takes forever.

• Like 1