Surveys for Professionals

calafan

Does anyone ever wonder who the survey companies think are taking these things when they post surveys for IT Professionals?  Do they really think IT Professionals are scouring sites like Mintvine or myview anxious to spend 20 minutes sharing their expertise for the princely sum of 3 or 4 dollars? 

I do, but mostly I wonder what they mean exactly by "IT Professional", when they ask that, because it is an extremely nebulous title. I'm a software consultant, so that may or may not be considered an "IT professional". So I'm never sure whether to say that I am one or not, when they just ask that with no context (it's much more helpful when they ask what my job actually entails, what technologies I use at work, what I have responsibility for, etc.)

20 minutes for 3 bucks sounds pretty good, actually. I make more at work, but the thing is, I'm salaried, so at lunch, I could either goof off, or I could take surveys, and get paid to take surveys while I'm being paid to be at lunch. I often choose the latter. :P

I have noticed more and more business surveys. I always wonder why we fill a profile page and then get asked how many people work at my business when I say I'm retired and don't have a business?

For a lot of these IT Professional surveys, what they are really looking for is IT decision makers.  I am an IT person, but currently I don't have any decision making authority (I did in the past), so I get disqualified most of the time because I do not make purchase decisions any more.

To calafan's original point, do they really expect to find IT managers, directors, and C-level employees who usually make 6 figures +, to be filling out surveys for $10-20 per hour?  Seems like they are aiming too high, leaving us regular IT employees with no surveys to complete.

I think they know they are casting a wide net but are trying to find some stray fish who fits the profile. Odds are probably not in their favor but if they can hook one all to their benefit in getting the survey completed as fast as possible for the client.