Paranoia.... or Intuition?

penangel

I've never had much of a problem answering any survey questions because I knew there was a reason they were asking, no matter how strange, or even offensive sometimes.  But a little while ago I hit one that I often do, and it just didn't feel right answering this time.   So.... seeing if the rest of you answer these or not.  The question is about not "investable assets" but how much money is in your bank accounts followed by a question asking for your zip code.  Am I paranoid?   I've answered these in the past but this time it didn't feel right... maybe it was the wording about bank accounts rather than investable assets?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, penangel said:

I've never had much of a problem answering any survey questions because I knew there was a reason they were asking, no matter how strange, or even offensive sometimes.  But a little while ago I hit one that I often do, and it just didn't feel right answering this time.   So.... seeing if the rest of you answer these or not.  The question is about not "investable assets" but how much money is in your bank accounts followed by a question asking for your zip code.  Am I paranoid?   I've answered these in the past but this time it didn't feel right... maybe it was the wording about bank accounts rather than investable assets?

I Agree I don't like those type of questions I really do not like those banking type of survey's I may stop doing them alltogether

• Like 1

I was thinking the same... it never bothered me before, but knowing how much income is coming into the home should really be enough, and I don't mind answering that one at all.   I think it was wanting the precise zip right after that bank account question that spooked me.  Glad to hear it's not just me.

• Like 1

I know why they ask for  zip codes when paying at the gas pump . I'm not sure of the correlation between what you have in your  bank account and zip codes have to do with one another. In my humble opinion it isn't any of their business,unless they want to open a credit card in your name and use it. I just don't see the need for it. I would say to them you tell me why you would need it then I'll think about it.

• Like 3

I'll tell them yearly income but that's it. I realize that some time they want to use that also for the same reason as yearly income but I feel it's none of their business what I have in the band so I always click "prefer not to answer" if they don't have that I click the lowest amount on their menu because it isn't their business.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2017 at 10:24 PM, paulgro said:

I'll tell them yearly income but that's it. I realize that some time they want to use that also for the same reason as yearly income but I feel it's none of their business what I have in the band so I always click "prefer not to answer" if they don't have that I click the lowest amount on their menu because it isn't their business.

That's what I"ve been marking, too.... sometimes a survey lets me through with refusing to answer those questions and sometimes it doesn't... either way I feel better about doing it that way.  I used to answer investable assets but stopped that, too.  I know it probably means it's a financial survey and nothing more, but I feel that information should be private.

1 hour ago, penangel said:

That's what I"ve been marking, too.... sometimes a survey lets me through with refusing to answer those questions and sometimes it doesn't... either way I feel better about doing it that way.  I used to answer investable assets but stopped that, too.  I know it probably means it's a financial survey and nothing more, but I feel that information should be private.

It should be private. They like putting people in different  categories but they should find ways like age to do it. Now some ask for home address or phone number. I defiantly won't give them that except to test a product,  

• Like 2

18 hours ago, paulgro said:

It should be private. They like putting people in different  categories but they should find ways like age to do it. Now some ask for home address or phone number. I defiantly won't give them that except to test a product,  

Oh, absolutely agreed there.  I don't even like giving a phone number when it's required to cash out anywhere.  I just close the nosy ones down, but it's so annoying when it's at the end and I'd just put time into it.  I've not been liking any surveys over 15 minutes... that sounds reasonable to me, and I especially like those that are 12 minutes or less.  :-D

I got a free Google Voice number and that is what I use for all surveys so I don't have to give out my real number.  I also refuse to answer questions about whether I have a security system.

2 hours ago, rsmt25 said:

I got a free Google Voice number and that is what I use for all surveys so I don't have to give out my real number.  I also refuse to answer questions about whether I have a security system.

Why not answer if you have a security system?Is it that they may be able to hack into it?I have one but my husband built it and not is not managed and when I tell them that I get x 'd out.

4 hours ago, penangel said:

Oh, absolutely agreed there.  I don't even like giving a phone number when it's required to cash out anywhere.  I just close the nosy ones down, but it's so annoying when it's at the end and I'd just put time into it.  I've not been liking any surveys over 15 minutes... that sounds reasonable to me, and I especially like those that are 12 minutes or less.  :-D

I give them 20 minutes and no more. When I started doing surveys I would spend a lot of time to be told when I was just about done that the survey met the quota and I got nothing for that time. I've found 20 minutes or less if that happens at least you didn't spend all that time to be thrown out.

I have been saying that I have done financial surveys when they give me the list of surveys that I have completed in the last 30, 60,90 days, etc.  Hopefully I don't get anymore of them. 

Heh. I totally don't mind answering any demographic question at all, even if it makes me look like I have money, it's still just lump demographic data, not personally identifiable. Address, on the other hand... yeah, they're not getting that unless they've already promised that the reason they're asking for it is because they're going to send me something. Same with phone number. Zip they can obviously have, but 9-digit zip, absolutely not: at least where I am right now, 9-digit zip is pretty darn close to just giving them my address. 

If they ask at the beginning, I just close it. If they ask at the end, that's one of a very small number of reasons I consider it ok to lie (by which I mean I put my address as "I'm Not Giving You That Ave." or equivalent. The other reasons, incidentally, all being variations on the theme of "they messed up and forced me to".)