People in Illinois please read

NFriday

Hi- For those of you that live in Illinois, and I know there are a few of you, on one of the other board that I post on, somebody just posted that Amazon is going to start charging 6.25% sales tax in Illinois starting 2/1. I have some GC to use up, and so I might order some stuff this weekend. Hope this helps, Nancy

I just ranted about it on Face Book. I hate this state!! This is our politicians at work. I just spent over half of my points. I am not saving them up for anything. There is one board that I receive $15 from each month for Amazon. I am looking for a way to trade the code for something else. Not paying the stupid Illinois tax. I have 2 years left here and then me and my 401K can be in another state.I won't be waiting for 100,00 on YouGov. I will be cashing out early for something else.

This law has been passed in Oklahoma for a while now but since there is no Amazon.com facility in Oklahoma we are supposed to send in the state the tax money out of our pocket. It's a pretty lame law. The issue is that the individual states can make it a law but every time the law makes it to the senate floor to become a federal law it gets voted down. One day it will be a federal law then Amazon will have to tax our purchases at checkout.

I am not in Chicago, not even near, but I feel for those folks because some of the local taxes up there are ridiculous! I know Amazon can charge the 6.25%, but that was my little oasis of not having to worry about sales tax. LOL! I am hearing from a lot of friends that they have been paying sales tax on Amazon for a few months now. I think all internet sales will be taxed here in IL, so far they aren't. Just irritates the heck out of me. Not gonna be buying near anything like I was. I will now be getting itunes cards, Macy's cards, etc. I don't ever catch a break on price on Amazon, but not paying the tax was nice, it did make it a little cheaper if I bought $35 worth of stuff and got free shipping too.

There is an Amazon distribution center in Illinois so that's why they are required to start collecting sales tax at checkout.

Oct, 2014. Amazon to open its 1st Illinois warehouse

In the past, the company almost exclusively built distribution facilities far from major cities in order to avoid charging sales tax in certain states.

"If Amazon or any online retailer has a physical presence here, they would absolutely have to collect and remit sales taxes here," said Tanya Triche, vice president and general counsel at the Illinois Retail Merchants Association.

Typical big business and government hypocrisy. Amazon probably got millions of dollars in tax credits from the state government to build in Illinois yet Illinois customers will be heavily taxed.

There is an Amazon distribution center in Illinois so that's why they are required to start collecting sales tax at checkout.

Oct, 2014. Amazon to open its 1st Illinois warehouse

In the past, the company almost exclusively built distribution facilities far from major cities in order to avoid charging sales tax in certain states.

"If Amazon or any online retailer has a physical presence here, they would absolutely have to collect and remit sales taxes here," said Tanya Triche, vice president and general counsel at the Illinois Retail Merchants Association.

Typical big business and government hypocrisy. Amazon probably got millions of dollars in tax credits from the state government to build in Illinois yet Illinois customers will be heavily taxed.

Probably. I am applying for a job if it is near me. They owe me at this point. Man, I have an attitude since the beginning of the year. Or maybe even before. :roll:

Hi- According to the article in the Chicago Tribune yesterday, once they start collecting sales tax in Illinois on 2/1, there will be a total of 23 states that will have to pay sales tax, including California, New York, Texas, and Florida, which are the biggest states. They are considering opening up more than one distribution center in Illinois, and they are looking at the Chicago area, as well as downstate. They predict by 2017 Amazon will employ 1,000 people in Illinois.

Sometimes Amazon has really good deals and sometimes it does not. Right before Christmas I used some of my GC and purchased a few books, some printer ink, and one of those pads to rest your wrist on, which I like, but I wish I would have gotten the nonskid one. They had a 25% off one book code when I placed my order. If I want to order books from Barnes and Noble, I have to pay sales tax too, and in general Amazon is cheaper than Barnes and Noble. In general you cannot beat Amazon's deals on CDs too. I only purchase jazz and classical CDs, and you can never get a good deal on those at places like Walmart. On occasion you can at Barnes and Noble. I was going to use a coupon at the Barnes and Noble Evanston store right before Christmas, and they did not have any jazz CDs that I thought my sister would like. I ended up getting her a Eric Clampton Cd, which I got for $9 with the coupon. I realize that most people purchase mp3's now instead of CD's, and that is why they are hard to come by. If you visit slick deals, they post some wonderful deals to be had on Amazon. Deals on Amazon usually only last a short while though, and so you have to be quick. I got myself some stereo speakers and a Sony receiver that I got a good deal on a year ago, and I used my GC on them, and so it did not cost me anything.

• 2 weeks later...

If it isn't too personal, where in Illinois is everyone from? I'm from Wisconsin but I've been living in Urbana for the last 3 years. I wish I had read about this earlier because I have 90 bucks in my amazon account just waiting for me to stop being lazy and place an order. I guess I'll pay for that!

Long time ago used to live in Illinois. Most of my relatives still live there. We've had a sales tax via Amazon for some time in CA. September of 2013 IIRC. In CA there is one loophole for sales tax and even the state of CA is aware of it. IF Amazon is not the retailer of record and the retailer is out of state there is no state sales tax. No idea if that loophole exists in IL or not.

JD- I guess I'll find out if that loophole exists when I place my order. It's too early for me to be thinking clearly but if i understand what you are saying, there's a chance that some things will be taxed and others not, just depending on where they come from(assuming the loophole is in Illinois also).

Hi- I live in the Chicago area, and I have heard that you do not have to pay sales tax if you make a purchase at Amazon from one of the marketplace sellers. If you purchase directly from Amazon, you do have to pay sales tax now. I don't know if you purchase an item from another company, which is then fulfilled by Amazon whether you have to pay the sales tax though. At least it is only 6.5%. In suburban Cook County the sales tax in a store is 9.5%, and in Chicago it is at least 10%. Hopefully if you buy any food items on Amazon, you will only be charged 1%. In suburban Cook County they charge 2.25% for food items.