Prolific? What happened?

Avs2024

I was banned or restricted from Prolific yet not told why. Yet I still get email messages from them that I can't access. I have done many surveys and just dumped. What gives?Why can't they even say you failed a survey check or something is up with your ISP? Seems shady.

Thanks for getting in touch.

I'm afraid you won't be able to take part in further studies on Prolific because your account has failed one or more of our automated checks, as well as our manual review. Unfortunately, I can't give you any further information about the specifics of these checks and won't be able to reverse the decision.

You can still cash out any money in your account. Any studies that are still awaiting review, can be cashed out if they’re later approved and paid for by the researcher. This still applies if the total you’re cashing out is under £6/$6.

I must stress that, while we thank you for your interest in the platform, this decision is very much final. We're also unable to allow restricted participants to create new accounts, so please don't attempt this.

Thank you for understanding and I'm sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Best,
Robin

Participant Support Representative

Screenshot 2024-03-20 at 6.18.16 AM.png

Their answer says you failed one of their automated checks, but it's too bad they won't tell you which one. If it was me, I'd like to know. I get twitches in my hand every once in a while that cause me to click on the wrong thing, and if that threw me off a site, I'd at least like to know so I wouldn't do surveys on "twitchy" days.

• Like 1

On 3/20/2024 at 12:04 PM, Useless said:

Their answer says you failed one of their automated checks, but it's too bad they won't tell you which one. If it was me, I'd like to know. I get twitches in my hand every once in a while that cause me to click on the wrong thing, and if that threw me off a site, I'd at least like to know so I wouldn't do surveys on "twitchy" days.

I get twitchy  on the right click button but it doesn't affect surveys it just sometimes bring up the box that says save page, take screen shot, etc. on other sites it's annoying. I slip a dime or penny under the button to avoid it getting pressed and take it out when I need to click the button.

• Like 1

Did you have a lot of rejections?

On 3/20/2024 at 7:21 AM, Avs2024 said:

I was banned or restricted from Prolific yet not told why. Yet I still get email messages from them that I can't access. I have done many surveys and just dumped. What gives?Why can't they even say you failed a survey check or something is up with your ISP? Seems shady.

Thanks for getting in touch.

I'm afraid you won't be able to take part in further studies on Prolific because your account has failed one or more of our automated checks, as well as our manual review. Unfortunately, I can't give you any further information about the specifics of these checks and won't be able to reverse the decision.

You can still cash out any money in your account. Any studies that are still awaiting review, can be cashed out if they’re later approved and paid for by the researcher. This still applies if the total you’re cashing out is under £6/$6.

I must stress that, while we thank you for your interest in the platform, this decision is very much final. We're also unable to allow restricted participants to create new accounts, so please don't attempt this.

Thank you for understanding and I'm sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Best,
Robin

Participant Support Representative

Screenshot 2024-03-20 at 6.18.16 AM.png

Did you have a lot of rejections?

I'd cash out. Then wait a few days, make sure all cookies and cache are clear, and try creating a new account under a new email address. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/27/2024 at 2:52 PM, Njsurveyman said:

I'd cash out. Then wait a few days, make sure all cookies and cache are clear, and try creating a new account under a new email address. 

They likely know the IP address so you'd have to hide behind a VPN but even then the new policy on Prolific sign-ups is providing a valid ID to verify identity.  This doesn't apply if you're already a member but if you're new count on it.  Once they see you're the same person they had before they won't accept the account.  But this seems odd to me as there are only so many reasons they can ban an account.  Conflicting data that doesn't match your demographics etc..  Now that AI is involved it won't be hard for them to scan your data to see if it matches what you said you are.  That is if they're using it.  If they see you're doing a ton of surveys they may take a sampling to see if inconsistencies show up.  That's all I can think of.