Is This a Trick Question?

Sandy21

I am repeatedly being asked where I shop, which is totally  acceptable.  However WHY are stores that have closed or gone out of business constantly included in the list? Some of the businesses listed have been gone for 10 years or more!

Do you suppose that this is a trick question  or are those that compose these surveys working off a totally outdated list?

Case in point, today I was asked if I shop at Mrs.Gooch. WholecFoods took over this store maybe 20 years ago!

What's your take?

Now I feel REALLY OLD!

I looked up when Whole Foods took over Mrs.Gooch and here is what I found!

When did Whole Foods buy Mrs Gooch?

Over 30 years ago! Why in the world would a store that was bought out over 30 years ago be a choice as to where we shop today? Mind-boggling!

I know.  In the Chicago area, Dominick's closed all of their stores 10 years ago, but I still see them listed on some surveys.

• Like 1

They have Daytons in some surveys and they have been gone from Minnesota for years. They  were the top department store for years. 

• Like 2

I see Wieboldt's listed as well. It was closed in 1987 and I'm surprised it lasted that long. I went there as a very little kid in the early 60s.

I think these are just trick questions to weed out the non-serious survey takers.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Useless said:

I see Wieboldt's listed as well. It was closed in 1987 and I'm surprised it lasted that long. I went there as a very little kid in the early 60s.

I think these are just trick questions to weed out the non-serious survey takers.

I agree! trick questions. Thanks for your response.

Definitely the latter. They're pulling from a database that hasn't been maintained in aeons, because maintenance costs money, and having a buggy survey doesn't. It always makes me sad seeing Fresh & Easy in lists - they were one of my favorite grocery stores, until they went out of business like a decade ago. :(

• Like 2

1 hour ago, neminem said:

Definitely the latter. They're pulling from a database that hasn't been maintained in aeons, because maintenance costs money, and having a buggy survey doesn't. It always makes me sad seeing Fresh & Easy in lists - they were one of my favorite grocery stores, until they went out of business like a decade ago. :(

Oh, I loved Fresh and Easy too! I still miss them, understand they were a.UK company that didn't find the US market profitable. 

• Like 1

Not sure if we're thinking about the same survey, but there's this one pre-survey that I get occasionally that lists like 15 stores and asks if you've shopped at any of them in the past month, and at least several of the stores are ones that I've never heard of or don't believe actually exist anymore. From my experience that survey is basically one big trick question because it also asks a few other questions that are clearly meant to detect bots or people who aren't paying attention.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Oshawott said:

Not sure if we're thinking about the same survey, but there's this one pre-survey that I get occasionally that lists like 15 stores and asks if you've shopped at any of them in the past month, and at least several of the stores are ones that I've never heard of or don't believe actually exist anymore. From my experience that survey is basically one big trick question because it also asks a few other questions that are clearly meant to detect bots or people who aren't paying attention.

Know the one you mean , but don't recall the company. From experience , it seems to simply be a gateway to another survey. The answers do not seem to matter on accuracy.

• Like 1

It could be a trick question. A couple I've seen that no longer exist are Sam Goody and that retro 80's young men's clothing store, Chess King!

On 3/27/2024 at 4:08 PM, Oshawott said:

i see that one all the time too.  you select the stores you know, and then it says how much did you spend in a store that you nver heard of !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1