having to put your entire home address and phone number in a survey.....

elsielc

i have been coming across more and more surveys that ask for your full name, address and phone number when you start the survey.  and it is not for those that are sending you a product to test, just the start of a normal survey.  i close out of those now when i see them.  YouGov asks for that same information at the end of a survey which means you have spent time on that survey and then you have to give them all that info to continue.  it's bad enough they can track me by my IP address but now want my home address????

• Like 4

2 hours ago, elsielc said:

i have been coming across more and more surveys that ask for your full name, address and phone number when you start the survey.  and it is not for those that are sending you a product to test, just the start of a normal survey.  i close out of those now when i see them.  YouGov asks for that same information at the end of a survey which means you have spent time on that survey and then you have to give them all that info to continue.  it's bad enough they can track me by my IP address but now want my home address????

I've had three surveys with YouGov do that to me recently. If they plan to ask information like that, they should tell you at the start of the survey. After spending time doing the entire survey, I then have the option to give them my information or lose that time I just spent. And they were for larger point surveys, 1500 and 2000 points. I've complained but didn't really get any satisfaction. I was just told I always have the option to close out any survey. It makes me so upset to lose all those points but I won't give them all my personal details like that.

1 minute ago, Mommabear said:

Same here

This has been happening to me more and more lately and I just leave the survey. Pretty  reprehensible imho.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sandy21 said:

This has been happening to me more and more lately and I just leave the survey. Pretty  reprehensible imho.

I think with mine, it already has my info ( yougov) already pre-printed!

2 hours ago, Mommabear said:

I think with mine, it already has my info ( yougov) already pre-printed!

It's other sites besides YouGov as well asking for all this personal information 

I had to put my home address on a YouGov survey, and I did not mind that.  They did not ask for my phone number.

Whenever I get that, I lie. I live in Connecticut, and I tell the psychopaths that I live in Florida, along with an address, phone # & zip code from there. Works for me.

I give them the correct state but the next zip code over. I don't want to give anybody my real info the way things are these days with creeps all over the internet. I saw a TV show once about the dark web that told that a surprising amount of info can be gotten just by knowing a person's birthdate. I think some of the political surveys want to check voter registration, but I opt out of those.

Prime Opinion even has a button for surveys that want personal information when they ask you why you backed out.

I do not know why they need this either. I usually do not continue the survey.

• Like 1

I just put in the street name , it’s accepted. I never put the phone number. G’day to all from Melbourne Australia . Started this Survey journey late last year , have about 6 sites I use … keeps my recently retired brain happy !

Yeah, I've come across these before. With some it might actually be okay but generally speaking I'd avoid that. I forget which site it was, maybe Inboxdollars. They offered an incentive to join another "survey site". I've done that before without any issues (until then). They made me input my address and phone number and would not let me proceed unless I did. So I did. And the surveys were mostly questions like, "Are you interested in a job in your area?" I answered the same bleeping question like 50 times, and I got the stupid idea that maybe if I started saying "yes" to them they'd stop asking that question. Nope. It kept asking anyway. At some point I realized this was a bs website and not actually a survey site. My email address and phone were blown up with job offer type stuff. Some wouldn't stop trying to call and text and I had to reply saying "I'm not interested." or "There's been a mistake/I didn't sign up for anything." I actually wasn't interested (I realize I said yes but I was trying to get that website to shut up, I know it was a dumb idea and it didn't work). I realize I fell into some kind of trap which was probably from some shady people. Cause who would legitimately have a "survey" website like that? And BTW I never got the incentive I was supposed to get for joining. I should've reported them, at least to Inboxdollars, but I just didn't. Regret that. I don't even know what the name of the site was. Ever since then that phone number got a ton of spam, and one day I got a group spam text and being I use a prepaid phone plan I kept getting charged for all the texts, and the stupid other people that got the group spam text kept replying "stop" and I got charged like $15 in one night cause of it. BTW people, replying STOP to a spam text that obviously comes from a scammer doesn't work. In fact it does the opposite of stopping it. So yeah, I ended up switching phone numbers because of what happened, didn't want to get more group spam texts. Don't ever make the same mistake I did. I ended up on spam lists cause of what happened. Not cool. And TBF I can't believe something like Inboxdollars would allow something like that to happen. I guess they don't check if they're legitimate sites or not. I had something similar happen I think through other websites, they were the "vote for Pepsi or Mountain Dew" type sites, which I'm pretty sure are fake surveys. That might've been through Swagbucks. But the Inboxdollars thing that happened was the worst one IMO. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 4/15/2024 at 8:47 AM, mnleona said:

I do not know why they need this either. I usually do not continue the survey.

Sometimes they'll say they want it to verify me. I think sometimes it's to make sure bots aren't doing the survey and I'm a real person. Sometimes it had something to do with voting I think? But either way I don't like putting it in. Yeah definitely don't give your phone number out though. Bad idea imo. 

• Like 1

I had one like that last week and I did comply and was dq'd, of course, and by golly, I received a call early this week from a survey company asking me to call them to do an online survey.  Noooooo, thank you.  Thought you weren't going to use it for anything.  Never said you might be calling or selling it to someone who would call.