Spam

paulgro

1 hour ago, paulgro said:

Did anyone else get this private message? I removed the link in it so not to advertise for them.

Hi, 

Can you fill in my survey if you're between 13 and 24 years old? You can win prizes!

Ever since they started accepting "student surveys" on the site, I've been seeing all kinds of stuff looking for people to work for nothing.

• Like 1

Yes I received it- and no I didn't reply because there  is no one here in those age ranges.I don't think I would have responded even if there was. I wasn't sure if this was legit or a scam.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, calafan said:

Ever since they started accepting "student surveys" on the site, I've been seeing all kinds of stuff looking for people to work for nothing.

2 hours ago, footfree said:

Yes I received it- and no I didn't reply because there  is no one here in those age ranges.I don't think I would have responded even if there was. I wasn't sure if this was legit or a scam.

1 hour ago, peach6 said:

I also received it just ignored it

I thought so but wanted to check. Seems this stuff gets in survey sites or places like this. Don't they know we won't click on their garbage?

• Like 1

Spam seems to come in waves. We can go for weeks without any and suddenly every other day there is a new one. It's always been like that. PM spam is harder to deal with because they usually don't PM moderators/admins so we don't know it's happening. If you get a PM spam you can use the Report button in the PM just like you can in a forum topic.

• Like 2

With PM's, there are safeguards in place so that it's not possible to PM everyone at once for instance, but a patient spammer can potentially PM members slowly.

As ksedwar mentioned, reporting spam as soon as you come across it helps us nip it in the bud by making us aware that there is a problem to begin with.

22 hours ago, calafan said:

Regarding 'Student Surveys', this has actually reduced the amount of spam on the forum. People looking for survey takers for their project post their studies in that sub-forum, thereby separating it from other discussions. Before 'Student Surveys', users would be more aggressive about spamming the forum with their studies and would be more inclined to PM them to members, as there was no place to post them. If you're not interested in participating in these non-compensatory surveys, they're easy enough to ignore.

17 hours ago, ksedwar said:

Spam seems to come in waves. We can go for weeks without any and suddenly every other day there is a new one. It's always been like that. PM spam is harder to deal with because they usually don't PM moderators/admins so we don't know it's happening. If you get a PM spam you can use the Report button in the PM just like you can in a forum topic.

Well said! 

• Like 1