Helping those affected by Hurricane Harvey

footfree

I live in Texas and have been thru Houston many times it is very sad to know what is happening there.What's really great  is all the rescuers helping those who need it the most.Right now they need help and the out pouring of donations is great to see .However there are many scam artist who have already  began to prey on the weak and vulnerable. Knowing who to give to can sometimes be hard to do you don't always know who to trust.May I suggest a our local grocery store HEB, I will provide you a link to their web site.I have lived here for over 30 years and they have always been a mainstay of our community.I have 100 percent trust in them to do the right thing.Even if you only can afford $1.00 it'll be  a great blessing to those.Or if you  have already given thank you for the support.

https://www.heb.com/donations/harvey?exp=instoreview&os_ehash=3be367c002f21c3cbc394b12e60cda91&et_rid=15135279&cid=6974844&exp=instoreview

• Like 2

1 hour ago, footfree said:

I live in Texas and have been thru Houston many times it is very sad to know what is happening there.What's really great  is all the rescuers helping those who need it the most.Right now they need help and the out pouring of donations is great to see .However there are many scam artist who have already  began to prey on the weak and vulnerable. Knowing who to give to can sometimes be hard to do you don't always know who to trust.May I suggest a our local grocery store HEB, I will provide you a link to their web site.I have lived here for over 30 years and they have always been a mainstay of our community.I have 100 percent trust in them to do the right thing.Even if you only can afford $1.00 it'll be  a great blessing to those.Or if you  have already given thank you for the support.

https://www.heb.com/donations/harvey?exp=instoreview&os_ehash=3be367c002f21c3cbc394b12e60cda91&et_rid=15135279&cid=6974844&exp=instoreview

I am sure they could use all the help they can  I was at the local Ace Hardware this morning and the cashier asked me if I wanted to donate the change from my purchase which wasn't that much but I said sure  if everyone did that it would be such a help even if it's only 25 cents.

• Like 2

I saw the convoy of HEB trucks lined up to go to Texas.  I am in Illinois and our own local police department is joining forces with other small communities to get supplies to the folks down there.  What I ran across was Walmart asking for my spare change for the Red Cross.  Noble organization I thought, until the lady in line behind me over heard the cashier and she went on a little tirade about how she was "helped" by the Red Cross and then asked to repay them when her insurance money came in.  I think my jaw dropped open.  She then went on to talk about how the Red Cross has scads of volunteers and their CEO makes a ton of money each year.  OK, I get that, they aren't the only ones that do this.  Then she said that the US government reimburses the Red Cross for any expenses when they house people and feed them.  What????  She said that the Salvation Army was there was well and they didn't ask for a dime, and just for the sake of argument, she said that the Salvation Army was on the first.  So, she seemed to have some information that I had never heard before.  I don't donate to Goodwill because they are a for profit company.  I am going to take stuff to our police department today, I hope it gets to those who need it.

• Like 3

They also give the money to Texas food banks- Salvation Army-Texas search and Rescue Cajun Navy.

Our police are also  headed down there today with containers full of supplies .I think it's great how everyone is joining in to help.I had never heard that about Red Cross that is sad to know.

I just wonder if the government reimburse them so they can have money to help the next victims of disaster?As for being reimbursed I have no knowledge of that and that would be very, very sad.Plus as for the CEO of American Red Cross she started in 2008 at a salary of 500,000 with no pay increases.Plus most of the victims of Hurricane Harvey had no flood insurance.Here's a little exert I found on this subject.

The president and CEO of the American Red Cross is Gail McGovern, and her base salary has remained $500,000—without any pay increase—since she joined the American Red Cross in 2008. This is considered well within the range for executives of large non-profits like the Red Cross, a $3.3 billion organization.

Here is more info that I have found.

The Red Cross is not funded by the government; its budget comes from donations as well as cost-recovery fees that are charged for some services. In certain circumstances, the Red Cross receives government money because the government has contracted the Red Cross to carry out some aspect of relief efforts. Because it is a non-profit, charitable organization, the Red Cross is tax-exempt.

So many stories get floated around it's really hard to know what is true and what isn't .I just want to have faith that the people can get the help they so badly need.I'm sure we are going to start hearing a lot more stories in the coming weeks about the good and the bad.

I know that in Austin they have set up a place for some of the refugees to come and live in .They hope to have them in the shelter and help the kids get into school soon.Lots of rebuilding to do could take 40 billion  to get it back to the way it was.

• Like 1

I keep hearing about Mattress Mack (sp) who invited people to come into his store and sleep.  These people most likely have lost everything.  And they can say it's just stuff, but wedding pictures,  photos of relatives who have passed on, etc. are lost as well.   I hope our government treats these people right.  They will have to address the whole issue of how this happened, because I doubt this was a 500 year flood.  This could happen again next week.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rosiesmom said:

I keep hearing about Mattress Mack (sp) who invited people to come into his store and sleep.  These people most likely have lost everything.  And they can say it's just stuff, but wedding pictures,  photos of relatives who have passed on, etc. are lost as well.   I hope our government treats these people right.  They will have to address the whole issue of how this happened, because I doubt this was a 500 year flood.  This could happen again next week.  

When I saw that story I said to my husband he will be rewarded a thousand times over for the generosity he offered these people.I hope they get treated better then the folks who went thru Katrina did,and all I mean by that is that I hope they learned a lesson in how to treat people.I will say though that Texas is better off financially then Louisiana was but still 40 billion is a whole lot of money.

• Like 2