How do you refuse to do a survey for free?

Lurkergirl

OK tonight in a matter of like 5 minutes a piece my phone has rung 2 times .First one wanted me to do a survey about a grocery stores .Anyway its late and I wasn't about to stay on the phone for a free survey .

Then I got another call for a survey on car insurance .I said I don't do surveys .My hubby says I should have said I don't do a survey for free .

Anyway I will do phone surveys if I know its coming and if I know I am getting compensated.

Just upset that this is now happening to me ....

So how do you get rid of them

Not sure about that? But when they call and ask you to do a survey over the phone, ask the "How much are you paying me to do this survey over the phone"? If there answer is "We are not paying you for this survey" or something like that and ask you to do it for free. Then tell them "Sorry, my time is Valuable and I DO NOT do surveys for Free!" also tell them "I will be more and willing to do surveys for you ONLY if you pay me for my time". Tell them "Please do NOT call me and waste my time for free surveys, so if you are only going to call and ask me to do FREE surveys, then take me off your list and DO NOT call again!"

If that was me in your situation, then that is how I would put it to them over the phone!

Two good posts. I like how the husband said to tell them "I don't do surveys for free" and the reply from TSP1973 was excellent.

Of course there will still be millions of people who will do these for the chance to win a sweepstakes or a false chance to get more paid sweeps.

Frankly, I don't have any problem simply hanging up on people who call me uninvited on the phone. My bank called last week to thank me for being a loyal customer. The bank person started rambling and I knew a sales pitch was probably coming. I might have even waited to hear what it was but was insulted by the wasting of my time beating around the bush in an attempt to butter me up. I simply hung up.

Of course if you are a telemarketer you will get my "you mother$^%er" speech and I will file a complaint with the FCC using their simple online telemarketer complaint form, since I am on the Do Not Call list. Unlike the national Do Not Call registry complaints which must be enforced by your State Attirbey General who is too lazy to do so, the FCC does take enforcement action.

I received a call one day and the guy didn't introduce himself, but instead just started asking questions. I kept trying to interrupt him to ask HIM a question or two. I then asked him if this was a survey and he said that it was. I told him that I did not do surveys over the phone since I won't keep my phone tied up for 45 minutes while he asked questions. He then hung up! I still don't know which company he was with.

• 3 weeks later...