Having To Buy A Product to Review

rosiesmom

I have received at least 4 surveys in a month's time and they are asking me to buy a product and then give a review.  One was an air purifier, and the last one was a vacuum.  These things aren't cheap, $119.  Boy do they play that part down. Then they pay you $30 for your opinion.  So for $119 out of my pocket, I can make a whopping $30.  Oh, also one was an electronic litter box.  I have a cat, but when I am spending $150 and making $50, I don't see how I am coming out ahead on that deal. 

• Like 1

This isn't a survey it's a product discount. Who's to say you'd get the rebate. Appears to be a scam. I'd report it to whatever company I got this survey from. This isn't even mystery shopping.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, rosiesmom said:

JD, I am getting it on a couple of sites now, one is Swagbucks, and one is Tellwut

Am on both those sites but never seen that type of survey. These sites now seem to allow anything for money it seems. Desperate times I suppose for them. Still a scam IMO.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

I've done reviews for Chinese sellers of products on Amazon. I buy the product and when the review is posted I send them the link to it. The refund me in PayPal. AND, when I buy the product I redeem reward points from either mypoints or Swagbucks to buy it with an Amazon gift card.. So I'm actually ahead of the game.

• Thanks 1

On 3/24/2022 at 3:41 PM, ErgoProxy said:

I've done reviews for Chinese sellers of products on Amazon. I buy the product and when the review is posted I send them the link to it. The refund me in PayPal. AND, when I buy the product I redeem reward points from either mypoints or Swagbucks to buy it with an Amazon gift card.. So I'm actually ahead of the game.

I did those Chinese reviews for about  18 months. The reimbursement wasn't reliable, because the review sites ha so little authority over the vendors using the service.  Some, won't pay shipping, tax or paypal fees, some would guess at the fees and after the currency conversion, nothing ever matched the original transaction amount. Most Chinese would not tell you, in the paypal notes, what order the papal payment was for, not even the order number, so resolving the paypal remittance was very difficult. it was also quite difficult to request adding the info. There wasn't a response back.  The personnel involved was peculiar. The handler was Islamic, pakastani, bengali or mideastern, the handler admin Islamic, the admin manager Chinese, the merchandise broker Chinese and the amazon store owner Chinese. all of this being done on Facebook with mobile devices. They had a bit of difficulty with me using a MacBook Pro, my screen shots did not match their android expectations. Amazon eventually shut the store, pulls reviews, Facebook throttles or shutsdown the handlers that are cramming messenger full of crappy, low quality pictures with no context or even product identifier, and pressing you to review. In some cases the presentation style of the handlers reminded me depiction of an open air bazaar market place, holding merchandise overhead and screaming "buy, buy, buy soon, trust me". Amazon, eventually turned off my reviews and Paypal deactivated my account, with not explination. Paypal has a history of wanton account nixing and has been class action sued at least three times in the past. But during the period of highest activity I was usually completing a review a day and up to fifty a month. I also used some the web based review sites. Such as extremerebate, they are shifty shysters that only paid 70% of the orders completed, had 95% rejection rate for requests, plethora of hidden fees that you had to agree to, like fifty cents to "lock" an order. they frequently took much longer than the return window to pay up and some just did not pay, so I was stuck with the stuff. But I reverse tricked them with the extended Amazon return period over the holidays and sent back stuff that was rebated and the severity of the imbalance was lessened. So, only buy what you want to use. CashBackBase was not much better, full of undisclosed terms that changed seasonally. support used engrish to communicate. Tahoevine was a bit better but still absolutist Chinese. Go with the American based companies, except elite rebate, they never paid me for the one I tried with them, and snagshout, they are incompetent. Was this a good deal? Well, most of the merchandise failed in less than six months. Some are doing fine, most expired quick enough to get the money back and some much less. I bought utility steel toed work shoes through tahoevine, six total from the same company and each shoe or boot failed after six weeks, warranty replacement for each failed the same, the sole fell of the shoe because the glue separated.  Currently I do deep discount coupons from a number of sites where I can use the survey amazon rewards to cover most of the cost and I'm done. I get my codes from Tellwut, branded, Paid Viewpoint, Ipsos, survey monkey rewards, google rewards, Pinecone, Prolific, Rakuten, Evidation, life fun and everything, opinion world, opinion square, and some others. DM me if you want a referral link. I use Cupons from vipon and Facebook groups. I have an account dedicated to the face book groups, I'm subscribed to hundreds of facebook amazon deals groups and run searches across the groups for stuff I think I need. I’ve been buying to outfit off grid tiny house living. I don't use amazon prime. I do use cash back cards, but that's pennies on the dollars.

19 hours ago, schludermann said:

I never had any of those problems. I gave them a screen shot of my order and gave them my order number. Once  the review was posted I gave them the link to the review. And in a day or two I got the refund in PayPal. The seller notified my and PayPal notified me. I do it all from my PC. I use Irfan View to take the screen shots. And I should add, I don't belong to any social media groups. No Facebook for me.

I did those Chinese reviews for about  18 months. The reimbursement wasn't reliable, because the review sites ha so little authority over the vendors using the service.  Some, won't pay shipping, tax or paypal fees, some would guess at the fees and after the currency conversion, nothing ever matched the original transaction amount. Most Chinese would not tell you, in the paypal notes, what order the papal payment was for, not even the order number, so resolving the paypal remittance was very difficult. it was also quite difficult to request adding the info. There wasn't a response back.  The personnel involved was peculiar. The handler was Islamic, pakastani, bengali or mideastern, the handler admin Islamic, the admin manager Chinese, the merchandise broker Chinese and the amazon store owner Chinese. all of this being done on Facebook with mobile devices. They had a bit of difficulty with me using a MacBook Pro, my screen shots did not match their android expectations. Amazon eventually shut the store, pulls reviews, Facebook throttles or shutsdown the handlers that are cramming messenger full of crappy, low quality pictures with no context or even product identifier, and pressing you to review. In some cases the presentation style of the handlers reminded me depiction of an open air bazaar market place, holding merchandise overhead and screaming "buy, buy, buy soon, trust me". Amazon, eventually turned off my reviews and Paypal deactivated my account, with not explination. Paypal has a history of wanton account nixing and has been class action sued at least three times in the past. But during the period of highest activity I was usually completing a review a day and up to fifty a month. I also used some the web based review sites. Such as extremerebate, they are shifty shysters that only paid 70% of the orders completed, had 95% rejection rate for requests, plethora of hidden fees that you had to agree to, like fifty cents to "lock" an order. they frequently took much longer than the return window to pay up and some just did not pay, so I was stuck with the stuff. But I reverse tricked them with the extended Amazon return period over the holidays and sent back stuff that was rebated and the severity of the imbalance was lessened. So, only buy what you want to use. CashBackBase was not much better, full of undisclosed terms that changed seasonally. support used engrish to communicate. Tahoevine was a bit better but still absolutist Chinese. Go with the American based companies, except elite rebate, they never paid me for the one I tried with them, and snagshout, they are incompetent. Was this a good deal? Well, most of the merchandise failed in less than six months. Some are doing fine, most expired quick enough to get the money back and some much less. I bought utility steel toed work shoes through tahoevine, six total from the same company and each shoe or boot failed after six weeks, warranty replacement for each failed the same, the sole fell of the shoe because the glue separated.  Currently I do deep discount coupons from a number of sites where I can use the survey amazon rewards to cover most of the cost and I'm done. I get my codes from Tellwut, branded, Paid Viewpoint, Ipsos, survey monkey rewards, google rewards, Pinecone, Prolific, Rakuten, Evidation, life fun and everything, opinion world, opinion square, and some others. DM me if you want a referral link. I use Cupons from vipon and Facebook groups. I have an account dedicated to the face book groups, I'm subscribed to hundreds of facebook amazon deals groups and run searches across the groups for stuff I think I need. I’ve been buying to outfit off grid tiny house living. I don't use amazon prime. I do use cash back cards, but that's pennies on the dollars.

How many handlers did you have to work with?  I was essentially working for ten different review companies. up to five simultaneously on facebook, which I eventually rejected four, the remaining one actually provided access to the google spread order sheet that I could log in and review for Items that need a review. I selected what I had use for and completed the review and submitted the information. That company had many different Amazon Store Clients and these clients would sent a screen shot of their PayPal transaction to the admin, which then routed the screen shot to my handler that then attached the order number to the screen shot. Only one handler did this. I sent my screen shots, to the handler, using the native MacOS features, which were more than adequate for this. Once the order number was attached to a payment, it was easier to track and I used a spreadsheet to keep up with the activity. I also saw how much the handlers were paid for successful reviews and competitions between the handlers working for an admin. It wasn't very much, but for every review completed, in addition to myself, all the people in the chain got something. This had to make the review process very costly. Particular when amazon pulled the reviews or shutdown the store and most were, when I reviewed my activity. All my reviews were at least 100 characters, had picture and sometimes a video. I reviewed camera glasses so later on, I would have a means to create review videos didn't have to rely on tripod and dedicate one of my hands to the camera. Very important if your making a video of a mini chainsaw, trimming a tree:).

I still do reviews, for Walmart. I still use RebateKey, Rebaid and Uberzon, they don't require a review to be posted. They send Amazon codes reimbursement, check or direct bank transfers. I have a dedicated FaceBook account and a dedicated web browser just for processing coupon code searches. I use up to seven different browsers in total, most I have some sort of browser VPN extension, with cookie managers and connection monitoring that I set to different exit points, depending the activity. If I want more security, at the expense of degraded connection speed, I use double VPN, computer and browser. Sometimes I'm coming out on to the internet from three different locations, simultaneously. I'm not trying to cheat anyone, I'm either optimizing connection for an activity or controlling the location information the remote sites get. Think ahead. I have two dedicated survey browsers, Firefox and chrome that I use for surveys, NO VPN for surveys. Sometimes I do two surveys simultaneously. Which is good for coping with poorly responding or slow loading pages, I use the application switcher to jump between browsers, email, spreadsheets and other apps. I do a lot of research, harvesting scientific papers for personal projects. For instance I'm preparing to build prototype a microbial fuel cell to power waste processing for space agriculture. I got a lot of leads earlier this month when I attended SXSW. Except for COVID shutdown, I've volunteered for SXSW since 2011