Sign in to follow this  
Cliche01

Political survey thoughts?

Cliche01

What with a new election coming up where I live and all the BS going on in the government, been getting quite a few political surveys lately.  Was curious what others felt about these, sometimes they end up feeling like some sort of ad for a particular person.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

schludermann
52 minutes ago, Cliche01 said:

Oh, it can be quite a ride. In texas some very contentious senate races lead to some very peculiar surveys about the candidates. Such as the Cruz/O'Rourke race. Like was this attack ad good, or was this one better? which attack ad is more believable? It was so outlandish, I made screen shots of the ads.  If you change your political leanings from survey to survey the closer to the election, you will get to see the oppositions strategy.

• Like 3

NevadaJones

I often see some subtle (and sometimes not so subtle) bias in these political surveys. The way they're constructed, for example, steering you to answer a certain way or even the actual wording of the questions. That's why even though I do surveys, I disregard the findings. Think by now we all know how misleading/wrong surveys, polls, etc. can be. :wink:

(Edit to include something else I just thought of.)

These sort of surveys also can be factually flawed. Recently had two similar surveys asking whether I would support or oppose certain legislation in my state. Problem was that two of the pieces of legislation had already been proposed, put on the ballot, voted on, passed and enacted...as much as three years ago! I pointed this out in both the first and second survey (in the survey comments section), but I begin to suspect that when you're asked for comments about a survey, they often are ignored, wasting my time and very rudimentary keyboard skills. :lol:

• Like 4

dawn_b_adams

Yeah, I have seen some interesting stuff in political surveys lately. A lot of them have questions on how I feel about investigations, impeachment, what direction the country is going to, etc. I think things will continue to get more interesting, and more biased in the surveys as we get closer to the election.

• Like 3

yobry1
On 12/2/2019 at 12:40 PM, NevadaJones said:

I often see some subtle (and sometimes not so subtle) bias in these political surveys. The way they're constructed, for example, steering you to answer a certain way or even the actual wording of the questions. That's why even though I do surveys, I disregard the findings. Think by now we all know how misleading/wrong surveys, polls, etc. can be. :wink:

(Edit to include something else I just thought of.)

These sort of surveys also can be factually flawed. Recently had two similar surveys asking whether I would support or oppose certain legislation in my state. Problem was that two of the pieces of legislation had already been proposed, put on the ballot, voted on, passed and enacted...as much as three years ago! I pointed this out in both the first and second survey (in the survey comments section), but I begin to suspect that when you're asked for comments about a survey, they often are ignored, wasting my time and very rudimentary keyboard skills. :lol:

Completely agree on the bias of these surveys. I'm actually surprised I'm given the incentives for my answers LOL.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1