Changes to Opinion Outpost - are they spying on YOU?!

jellyfish

Jellyfish...you're absolutely right they should ask our permission. It's an invasion of one's privacy and I am a very private person. The humor of it all is that you weren't looking for it, you just happened to stumble upon it, catching them red handed. (lol) I don't know why they couldn't be honest and just ask, especially when it is them asking us to give HONEST opinions. Practice what you preach. (lol)

How did you find it? Kuddos to you for calling them out. :-)

They won't be honest & ask because I'd wager that MOST people would say no.

I found it while looking to make sure I was still opted out of receiving OTX surveys from them. I'm very glad it caught my eye. But I am still concerned that they won't honor our preference in that regard.

Thanks - I just wish it would do some good. These companies are getting worse and more invasive and I don't like it one bit. :(

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jellyfish

• KBLover

• zeekers

• majax79

They won't be honest & ask because I'd wager that MOST people would say no.

Yep.

Higher odds on people not checking that area (it's "hidden" in account settings - won't have much reason to change that I wager - I know I haven't since joining) so it's like getting them all in and maybe a few here or there see it and drop than putting it out there and getting lots of rejections.

Of course, they'll hide behind "just trying to be convenient and not make you have to add something to your ever-so-busy lives". Evidently, appealing to people's laziness is a good business tactic. I'll have to remember that should I become a captain of industry or such in my lifetime.

Is OO saying that they use this advanced cookie in surveys? Like, if they ask to view an online ad or a website, that cookie would let them know that you actually did it? Thanks for bringing this to my attention as I've rarely go into my settings.

Is OO saying that they use this advanced cookie in surveys? Like, if they ask to view an online ad or a website, that cookie would let them know that you actually did it? Thanks for bringing this to my attention as I've rarely go into my settings.

That I don't know, but it's a good question. I don't usually get requests from them to view things like that, though.

Is anyone else STILL get OTX surveys even after putting NO in the account settings box?

I just got one and I made sure - and yes, I have NO in the account settings for wanting OTX surveys.

WTF? What's the point of an option that doesn't work? Guess I shouldn't be surprised - they can't look at your profile that they want you to make, so why should I think they'd look at my account settings? :roll:

The advanced cookie, based on what it says in account settings, is so that it can track what ads you see on the internet and then they can use it to survey you about it (I'm guessing they can qualify you for other surveys or maybe send you a survey that only people who have seen certain ads can get).

This gave the impression that it's outside of surveys but your regular internet usage.

Is anyone else STILL get OTX surveys even after putting NO in the account settings box?

I just got one and I made sure - and yes, I have NO in the account settings for wanting OTX surveys.

WTF? What's the point of an option that doesn't work? Guess I shouldn't be surprised - they can't look at your profile that they want you to make, so why should I think they'd look at my account settings? :roll:

Yes - I am still getting them and write them every single time I do. They claim it's a technical problem they're working on. Email them every time you get one - if enough of us do that, maybe they'll actually do something about it! I don't even attempt to be nice to them about it anymore. :evil:

Yes - I am still getting them and write them every single time I do. They claim it's a technical problem they're working on. Email them every time you get one - if enough of us do that, maybe they'll actually do something about it! I don't even attempt to be nice to them about it anymore. :evil:

Just did upon reading your reply. I said something like if you are ignoring my preference for OTX, how do I know you're not also ignoring advanced cookies preference?

Just one more straw for the camel's back. I hear that pile of straw is getting pretty heavy...

Yes I'm still getting OTX'd....there's no stopping them no matter what I do. They seem to have their dirty, grungy claws everywhere. Makes me wonder if OTX considers Youngstown, Ohio their home. Should anyone want to know what I mean by that, go to the members page and IM me, cause I'm not going to say it here.

OTX go away!!!!

Just did upon reading your reply. I said something like if you are ignoring my preference for OTX, how do I know you're not also ignoring advanced cookies preference?

Just one more straw for the camel's back. I hear that pile of straw is getting pretty heavy...

I agree. That Advanced Cookie thing really rubs me wrong. I had also contacted them about that, and I asked them the very same thing you did about ignoring my preference for OTX & that. They never responded to that question. I don't trust them one little bit.

The fact that they even associate with OTX at all disgusts me. And, they know how pathetic OTX is, otherwise they wouldn't even offer the option not to get those surveys. Not that they honor it of course.

I think it's probably only a matter of time until I bid them a fond adieu.

Someone should find out where the OTX Research office is located and go in there and tell them their surveys absolutely suck.

EDIT: And videotape it please!!!

Someone should find out where the OTX Research office is located and go in there and tell them their surveys absolutely suck.

Haha!! :D

EDIT: And videotape it please!!!

Well their office should be located in the Ipsos building-Ipsos never was real great but they have been infected by OTX and they now handle their business the OTX way.I mean really if Ipsos buys OTX then you would think they would change OTX not the other way around.