Survey Providers keeping survey "bonuses"..................

melbourne_yankee

I joined a couple of survey sites over the past couple of months and once in a while come across a survey with a main section and then they have a what they call a "bonus" section.

The bonus section of the  survey usually states that if you do "x" we'll give you an extra amount of points or an an amount of money such as $1 if you complete the section. At the completion of the bonus section I received notification that I in fact completed the section and will receive the bonus.

So far not once have I received the so called "bonus" at a couple of these sites.

Yesterday I did one of these type surveys which was quite interesting and part if it involved a game with three other players with the amount of the bonus to paid out depending on the result of the game.  The survey was for a  famous UK based university.  I received the basic survey amount in my account already.

I doubt that I'll ever see the bonus from this survey as I never got a bonus from one that I completed that was done through this outfit.

Are survey outfits typical in that they keep these bonuses for themselves and don't pass it on to the people completing the bonus survey?

Have you run across this situation before?

This is very reminiscent of Prolific academic surveys, studies and experiments. Since it was an academic study/experiment, there was likely a consent form. The consent form typically has the experimenter and the oversight board contact information. It will be hard to reach either if you don't have the consent information, it will be hard to proceed further. I always archive the consent form before starting for just such a situation. In my experience, most academics are alright and follow through. However, there are some clandestine and shady operators creeping into the academic fold. Having the consent form to reference is a good start at shaking the researchers money tree until the bonus falls out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the information. 

From now on, if I am "lucky" enough to get another one of those surveys I'll take a screen shot and save the information.

Looks like I probably won't get the bonus then and the survey company will pocket it so i did the extra part and game for nothing.

I haven't tried Prolific yet and I'll check them out.

I just did a "bonus" survey for LifePoints. It took longer than the regular part of the survey and never got any extra points.

I should have known better as I don't recall ever getting the promised bonus points on any site for any survey.

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Sandy21 said:

I just did a "bonus" survey for LifePoints. It took longer than the regular part of the survey and never got any extra points.

I should have known better as I don't recall ever getting the promised bonus points on any site for any survey.

Was that the My Telco one? Been getting the extra points questions for a while now and never have gotten extra points that I am aware of. Really hard to tell what's what in their points listing under Rewards.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, episemion said:

Was that the My Telco one? Been getting the extra points questions for a while now and never have gotten extra points that I am aware of. Really hard to tell what's what in their points listing under Rewards.

Yes it was Telco! I will never opt for the supposed extra points again.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sandy21 said:

Yes it was Telco! I will never opt for the supposed extra points again.

I have never received the xtra points either on the Telco survey

Inquired at LifePoints about the extra points from the My Telco one and got the following response:

"We're aware that you haven't fully been credited for this My Telco survey 2129971. However, please don't worry. The additional LifePoints (LPs) will be credited once the audit for this survey has been completed.

Please allow 4 weeks for the additional 50 LPs to post to your account."

So , the extra points are one of the 50 point entries in the list that comes when you click on Rewards. I have seen odd 50 point entries and wondered what they were for.

• Like 1

Well I looked at Prolific and tried to join, but they are not currently taking new people.

You have to join a waiting list.

So I put my name on the waiting list and will wait, probably for a long time.

• Sad 2

I've run into a few of those "we'll award you bonus points if you answer more questions" surveys on Survey Junkie. Just for the heck of it I decided to answer the extra questions but I've never been compensated by SJ, either right away or later on. I've given up on answering them through this survey platform.