Where to put survey earnings in 1040 schedule 1?

Dan_0689

Hi everyone,

I did not receive any 1099-miscs from any survey panels but I have documented my earnings and am trying to include them in my tax filing. However, I could not find where exactly to put them in 1040 Schedule 1. In the past, I just put in the Other Income item. But this year, (https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040s1.pdf) Schedule 1 Item 8 "Other Income" has more specific categories. Should it be put in "h Prizes and awards" or "z Other income. List type and amount" as usual and specifying it's survey rewards? 

Another question is, does anyone know if airline miles and hotel points earned from survey panels are subject to FICA, besides federal and state income taxes? Thank you.

I don't think this is the appropriate place for your questions. You should probably contact the IRS directly or your state department of revenue. They would have experts who would know this information. Or you could contact a tax preparation service, maybe have them do your taxes. It's better than winging it on your taxes.

• 2 weeks later...

Not to be a substitute for tax advice, but I am sure you could list survey income in either category (Awards/Prizes OR Other Income). The IRS won't be knocking on your door if you put it in the wrong place.  But, I would only choose one of those categories and put down "online surveys" as the type. 

• 1 month later...