Repetition And Babbling On Surveys

ConnecticutMarc

I have been doing surveys for a long time. It seems to me that most of the questions on surveys are actually a lot of repetition and babbling. With that in mind, how do the writers of surveys expect to get any useful data or information?

• Like 2

17 hours ago, ConnecticutMarc said:

I have been doing surveys for a long time. It seems to me that most of the questions on surveys are actually a lot of repetition and babbling. With that in mind, how do the writers of surveys expect to get any useful data or information?

Define "repetition and babbling". Haven't seen that in the years I have been doing surveys. Started 20+ years ago.

5 hours ago, episemion said:

Define "repetition and babbling". Haven't seen that in the years I have been doing surveys. Started 20+ years ago.

Repeating the same questions over and over again. And also asking questions that have no relevance to the topic of the survey. And if you have never seen any of that, I'd sure like to know what sites you go to!

• Like 2

I agree. There is too much 'chewing the fat' rather than focusing on specific themes. Surveys can get the information from one question when they seem to prefer splitting the question into 5-7 parts, being very redundant. I suspect survey writers are paid for the length of their creations, so whenever they can 'pad' the length they will stuff it as full as they can.

• Like 2

When we are routed from one survey to another and yet another we are repeatedily asked the same qualifying questions. And then if/when we actually get to take a survey we are asked yet again. So much is garbage, time-wasting, and repetitive. Part of the "game* as long as we choose to take surveys. Sigh :(

"

• Like 2

By that definition , the only repetition I have seen is where a survey site opens in one company and they ask demographics , then you get sent to another site as you have qualified , but that site asks the same demographic questions. In such a case , it would be nice for one to send the already acquired data on , but that is not the case. Have also had non-related queries , but those are the exception , not the norm.

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes a survey will ask a question a second time, just in a slightly rephrased way in order to check if your answers are consistent. I don't like it, but it's happened to me often.

However in recent weeks I've gotten a few surveys were I was asked like 3 times in a row if I was Hispanic/Latino. I kid you not; they asked for my race/ethnicity out of a list of several options and I picked Hispanic/Latino, then I was asked if I was of Latino origin again, then I was asked if I was Hispanic... again.

On 7/15/2022 at 12:27 PM, ConnecticutMarc said:

One of the worst panels for this is Paidviewpoint (PV) by Umongous. I’ll get back-to-back ten cent surveys that will ask the same user information i’ve provided for years, or present of ludicrous selection, like biking to the moon over a weekend. I think this is done because the panels have such a low opinion of panelists, that you can never earn a reputation. The panels think you are going to go rouge at any time. One time i answered a PV survey a bit too asymmetrically and Umongous turned off  surveys for 3 months and i completed 54 of those trait surveys, ad nauseam, before they let me start again. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, schludermann said:

One of the worst panels for this is Paidviewpoint by Umongous. I’ll

They may do a lot of repetition but at least you always qualify so I will put up with to get my points

• Like 3

18 hours ago, peach6 said:

They may do a lot of repetition but at least you always qualify so I will put up with to get my points

The repetition of the TS surveys is to ensure that you are consistent in your responses (allowing for change over time) and that you are paying attention. Those also allow you to at least earn something in the lull periods. They only take a couple of minutes to do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...