SUPER SCAM of another kind

Sandy21

On April 24, Bed Bath and Beyond declared bankruptcy. I had been saving BBB gift cards  for a Vitamix Blender for almost a year, It is $750 for the model I wanted and with a 20% off coupon it would be $600. I went to BBB.com the same day they declared bankruptcy and used the one not expired 20% coupon I had and ordered the blender. (They only take 3 gift cards per online order so I was lucky that I had 3-$200 gift cards.) The total price was $647.23, after taking off the 20% and adding tax. I used my credit card for the tax and the total price for my order was $47.23. The order went through fine, got confirmation. 

The following morning, April 25th, BBB cancelled my order, NO explanation given. I figured that they would restore my gift card balance and credit my credit card, but to this day, April 29, they have done neither. I disputed the charge with my credit card company, wrote to BBB twice a day for the past 5 days and have gotten no response.

WHAT A  REPREHENSIBLE thing to do, cancel the order with no explanation and keep the gift card balance and still charge my credit card. I have gone to BBB for as long as I can remember and NEVER thought they would treat customers in such a dishonest manner. Boy, was I wrong, 

I  will never forget this rip-off, dishonest experience and from this day forward I will think of BBB with utter disgust.

PS

I will keep checking my GC balance daily and send letters to CS but I feel it is a lost cause. Maybe they will restore the GC balance AFTER they no longer accept gift cards, which is May 6 or 8.

Are you talking about a Vitamix blender?  I don't think Vitamix makes mixers.  Do you have a BBB store near you?  Perhaps you might have better luck going to the store.  The last time I bought something at BBB a few years ago, the food processor was not at the store I usually go to, and I think I had to order it, and then pick it up at the store.  I think they said they had it, but when I checked the store, they did not have it, but it was cheaper at the store.  I asked them to do a price check when I picked it up, and I got it for the cheaper price.  I would have tried to get the blender at one of their stores so they could not cancel your order, and you would have still had your GC if they told you that you could not use it on the blender.  

I just looked on their website, and the only Vitamix blender that is available for sale on line is selling for $579, and is not available at any of the stores in my area.  I would still go to one of the stores to see if they can help you.  The reason why they cancelled your order is probably because they did not have it in stock.  Have you tried their Facebook page?

Sandy have you tried calling them up?  I looked on their website, and they are available until midnight 7 days a week.  They say on their FAQ concerning their chapter 11 bankruptcy that you cannot use coupons anymore.

2 hours ago, NFriday said:

Are you talking about a Vitamix blender?  I don't think Vitamix makes mixers.  Do you have a BBB store near you?  Perhaps you might have better luck going to the store.  The last time I bought something at BBB a few years ago, the food processor was not at the store I usually go to, and I think I had to order it, and then pick it up at the store.  I think they said they had it, but when I checked the store, they did not have it, but it was cheaper at the store.  I asked them to do a price check when I picked it up, and I got it for the cheaper price.  I would have tried to get the blender at one of their stores so they could not cancel your order, and you would have still had your GC if they told you that you could not use it on the blender.  

I just looked on their website, and the only Vitamix blender that is available for sale on line is selling for $579, and is not available at any of the stores in my area.  I would still go to one of the stores to see if they can help you.  The reason why they cancelled your order is probably because they did not have it in stock.  Have you tried their Facebook page?

my error, I surely meant blender, I have corrected that. THANKS

I am sure they no longer had the item in stock but that is not even the issue. The issue is that they kept my money, never returned the balance to my gift cards. AND for that I am furious.

I contacted them through Facebook, to no avail.

2 hours ago, NFriday said:

Sandy have you tried calling them up?  I looked on their website, and they are available until midnight 7 days a week.  They say on their FAQ concerning their chapter 11 bankruptcy that you cannot use coupons anymore.

I used the coupon when they were still able to be used.

If you call on the phone you are usually told that the wait is 2 hours or more. Once it said one hour or more and I waited two hours and hung up.

Unfortunately, I can't get to a local store prior to May 8th when gift cards are no longer valid. (see my post below about my injuries)

Sandy I am sorry you are having all of these problems.  You can also leave an email, but I am not sure if that would help.  I always ask for Amazon GC.  You know Amazon is not going to go out of business.

After I picked my sister up at O'Hare Airport four days before Christmas, we went Christmas shopping, and one of the stores we went to was BBB.  My sister who lives in New Orleans was hesitant about going in the store, because she said the stores in New Orleans are awful.  She said they are dirty, and are out of a lot of stuff.  When we went in the store in Skokie, she said that store was in much better shape than the store she goes to in New Orleans.  We did not buy anything though.  I was disappointed that they did not have any free coffee to drink, but it was okay.  Everybody was just waiting for them to file for bankruptcy for several months.  

• Like 1

Could you call up your local store?  Maybe it would be easier to get somebody there.  I just went to their Facebook page, and somebody said they waited for 8 1/2 hours when they called, and she was not able to speak to anybody in CS.  There are a lot of people on Facebook that are upset because BBB decided not to do business with My Pillow, and that is why nobody wants to go into the store now.  Apparently the store started hiring more minorities, and became more environmentally conscious, and the conservatives started boycotting them.  Apparently all the employees were told they were going to get a severance package, and now they are not.

7 hours ago, ConnecticutMarc said:

BBB stole a lot of money from you. Report that to the nearest district attorney.

When a store declares bankruptcy it does absolutely no good to report them to anyone. It could drag on for years and years with no resolution. I talked to my neighbor who is an attorney but I expected as much. 

12 hours ago, NFriday said:

Could you call up your local store?  Maybe it would be easier to get somebody there.  I just went to their Facebook page, and somebody said they waited for 8 1/2 hours when they called, and she was not able to speak to anybody in CS.  There are a lot of people on Facebook that are upset because BBB decided not to do business with My Pillow, and that is why nobody wants to go into the store now.  Apparently the store started hiring more minorities, and became more environmentally conscious, and the conservatives started boycotting them.  Apparently all the employees were told they were going to get a severance package, and now they are not.

My son took a print out of my order, etc. to my local BBB this morning. The line was at least 200 people long, outside and around the block. He did not wait. I am screwed

I have been on hold for two hours now, trying to resolve this. I am walking around with my cell phone trying to do other things. AND AFTER TWO HOURS ON HOLD I WAS DISCONNECTED!!! 

I don't want to give up but I really feel I have no recourse. :61_sob:

I just looked on Slick Deals, and Amazon has the same Vitamix blender that BBB is selling online for $549 for $379.  Is the line at BBB just to get in the store, or is that for CS?  All of their stuff is only 30% off right now at the stores.  Somebody at Slick Deals said that BBB plans to close all of their stores sometime in June.  I've noticed in liquidation sales, a ton of people hit the store the first few days when the stuff is not marked down that much, and then by the time everything is reduced 50%, there is nothing left worth buying.  No way would I wait in line there to save 30% off when you cannot use one of their coupons.  Maybe your son should try hitting the store one hour before they open up.  I hope you have luck.  I've heard that the stores are not answering their phones.  Somebody on their Facebook page used a $300 GC to order something, and their order got cancelled too, and they have not been able to get their money back.  

What a story. We have one here and nobody answers the phone. They're having a sale starting tomorrow 10-30% off but you can't use the coupons anymore so why bother? Plus I don't need anything, I actually had their stock and sole it last week, knowing it was going down to zero. So I lost money which is OK, doing stocks is a balancing act. I am sorry to hear what happened but I guess you may have to take it as a loss if nothing comes through. As far as Vitamin, I have a blender by Hamilton Beach that seriously does the same thing. About $40. There is no magic in Vitamix...my friend has one and prefers mine, same speeds, does same thing but of course, it's your choice. Being that you lost money on this, maybe you could compromise and get the top rated one on Amazon for 35-40 dollars.

The Vitamix blender I wanted was a BBB exclusive with all kinds of attachments. I really wanted it, but will settle for a lesser brand and get it on Amazon.

My son was at BBB an 90 minutes before they opened this weekend and there were at least 200 people on line. He is in college full time and has a job too so he can't really waste his time going back again.

I am gonna suck it up and accept the loss. Not much I can do about it and I've wasted enough time with these crooks. SAD as I loved this store but now I am just being left with a bad taste in my mouth, so to speak.

THANK YOU< NFriday and everyone else for your concerns and help and feedback.

I personally know 7 people who had the same experience as I have had with a BBB  online order after declaring bankruptcy, order cancelled, and GC balance NOT returned! Sad that they leave the business world on such a sour note, leaving many people totally disgusted with their horribly unfair antics.