Not Permitted to Post Reviews (and lots more) on Amazon if You Pay with Gift Cards Alone!

Sandy21

17 hours ago, Sandy21 said:

Thanks for your reply. I didn't realize it was every 2 years. What is Amazon Vine?

I looked it up and found the following:

Launched in 2007, Amazon Vine is an internal service of Amazon.com that allows manufacturers and publishers to receive reviews for their products on Amazon. Companies pay a fee to Amazon and provide products for review. The products are then passed to Amazon reviewers, who can publish a review. Wikipedia

Maybe others had no idea what it was so I posted  it here.

Amazon Vine, you can only join by their invitation. When I got invited I hadn't even know about it. But when you go to Amazon Vine you get many products to choose from. Some are around for a while and some come and go pretty quickly. But I've been doing this for about 4 years now and have received a lot of FREE stuff. Anyway, when you get the stuff, you have to review it.

I sort of fell into it too. Before I got invited to join Amazon Vine I got a few emails from Chinese sellers that wanted me to review their products too which you get for free. Only with them you buy it and when the review is posted you get your refund in your PayPal account. So I would buy it with points I redeemed from mypoints which I redeemed for Amazon gift cards. Plus I used to see in people's reviews that the explained they got the product free (or a deep discount) in exchange for a review. So I started reviewing stuff that I bought and it didn't take long before I got these invitations. I still get these invitation but it's mostly for stuff I already have now or have no use for. Below is how you will see a product review from an Amazon Vine member. Notice the green text.

image.png.166af7e981aaa5dae3204c1d1f1f788e.png

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ErgoProxy said:

Amazon Vine, you can only join by their invitation. When I got invited I hadn't even know about it. But when you go to Amazon Vine you get many products to choose from. Some are around for a while and some come and go pretty quickly. But I've been doing this for about 4 years now and have received a lot of FREE stuff. Anyway, when you get the stuff, you have to review it.

I sort of fell into it too. Before I got invited to join Amazon Vine I got a few emails from Chinese sellers that wanted me to review their products too which you get for free. Only with them you buy it and when the review is posted you get your refund in your PayPal account. So I would buy it with points I redeemed from mypoints which I redeemed for Amazon gift cards. Plus I used to see in people's reviews that the explained they got the product free (or a deep discount) in exchange for a review. So I started reviewing stuff that I bought and it didn't take long before I got these invitations. I still get these invitation but it's mostly for stuff I already have now or have no use for. Below is how you will see a product review from an Amazon Vine member. Notice the green text.

image.png.166af7e981aaa5dae3204c1d1f1f788e.png

Thanks for the information.  I appreciate you taking the time to explain!

I've only left a handful of reviews on Amazon.  I've noticed that on some controversial nonfiction books, a lot of people that did not purchase the book, wrote negative reviews about the book.  Maybe they checked the book out of the library, but I doubt it.

I just looked on Amazon, and I have just written two reviews there, and the last one was written in 2021 when I was paying for my purchases with Amazon GC.

• Like 1

I went to do a review over a year ago on Amazon.  This is what it said.

We apologize but Amazon has noticed some unusual reviewing activity on this account. As a result, all reviews submitted by this account have been removed and this account will no longer be able to contribute reviews and other content on Amazon.  If you would like to learn more, please see our community guidelines. To contact us about this decision, please email [email protected].

So I contacted them.  They pulled down 9 years worth of reviews.  I didn't do anything wrong.  If something was a piece of junk I found a nice way to say it.  I bought A LOT of stuff on there.  I am still allowed to buy, I just can't review products or ask questions of others about products.  I did use a lot of gift cards for purchases, but not all the time. I did contact them twice and never got a reply.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, rosiesmom said:

I went to do a review over a year ago on Amazon.  This is what it said.

We apologize but Amazon has noticed some unusual reviewing activity on this account. As a result, all reviews submitted by this account have been removed and this account will no longer be able to contribute reviews and other content on Amazon.  If you would like to learn more, please see our community guidelines. To contact us about this decision, please email [email protected].

So I contacted them.  They pulled down 9 years worth of reviews.  I didn't do anything wrong.  If something was a piece of junk I found a nice way to say it.  I bought A LOT of stuff on there.  I am still allowed to buy, I just can't review products or ask questions of others about products.  I did use a lot of gift cards for purchases, but not all the time. I did contact them twice and never got a reply.

Wow! That is REALLY disheartening and so unfair. So they'll take your money but that's it! You'd think there would be a way to reverse a bad or inaccurate decision on their part,  apparently not. 

I would pursue the matter! jmho

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

i had the same problem when i went to review amazon items.  i used a gift card and that is not eligible for a review.  i get most of my amazon gift cards from doing surveys, but still don't understand why paying with a gift card is unacceptable.  someone had to pay for it.  do they think that most of the gift cards are fake or something?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Today I cashed out my meager earnings for a years worth of surveys at Pinecone, a meager $39, better than nothing but a FAR CRY from what it used to be. I cashed out for a online Visa debit card and immediately put it in my Amazon account and used it all. Somehow I had a total of $38.99, not sure how I did that. Usually I have a few bucks leftover, not this time. Anyway, I can NOW post reviews on Amazon!! I think that lasts for about a year?

So using a $39 Visa online-only debit card allows me the privilege of posting reviews. The rules say $50, go figure. Makes no sense whatsoever, but there you have it!

• 3 weeks later...
17 hours ago, mnleona said:

If I win a book, I cannot review it.

How do you win a book? ( ebook?) Is it that you are not permitted to review it because you pay exclusively with gift cards?

1 hour ago, Sandy21 said:

How do you win a book? ( ebook?) Is it that you are not permitted to review it because you pay exclusively with gift cards?

I win usually from Goodreads and LibraryThing. They have ebooks and books.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

So it lasted all of 4 weeks. I am no longer allowed to write reviews yet again . Guess they realized it was a $39 visa debit card and not $50.01. 

C'est la vie 

10 hours ago, NFriday said:

When I did a market research thing back in October that paid $175, I deposited the visa gift card in my Amazon account.

If it was a Visa debit card you should be permitted to post reviews. Apparently debit cards of over $50 allow you to post reviews. If you consistently use Amazon gift cards without using a credit card or a debit card for under $50 you are not permitted to post reviews. 

I don't understand this rule but it most certainly is something Amazon enforces.