Companies don't target seniors

NFriday

I belong to a Facebook group for people that shop at Jewel, which is the largest grocery store chain in the Chicago area.  People post about deals they find at their particular Jewel, and the person that runs the site, posts ads for the store.  Jewel has a lot of sales where you have to buy four of something in order to get it on sale, such as four boxes  of cereal.  Several seniors on the site claim that this is unfair for seniors that don't need four boxes of cereal. I personally don't purchase anything that I don't need a lot of.  I don't need four bags of cookies, and so I do not buy cookies.   I just pointed out that most companies do not want to market to seniors because seniors in general are not impulse shoppers.  tv shows like Dancing with the Stars have problems getting advertisers, because the shows cater to Seniors.  I also mentioned that survey companies do not want seniors doing surveys too.  The person in charge of the Facebook group says that advertisers want to promote to people that are going to be around ten years from now.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, NFriday said:

I belong to a Facebook group for people that shop at Jewel, which is the largest grocery store chain in the Chicago area.  People post about deals they find at their particular Jewel, and the person that runs the site, posts ads for the store.  Jewel has a lot of sales where you have to buy four of something in order to get it on sale, such as four boxes  of cereal.  Several seniors on the site claim that this is unfair for seniors that don't need four boxes of cereal. I personally don't purchase anything that I don't need a lot of.  I don't need four bags of cookies, and so I do not buy cookies.   I just pointed out that most companies do not want to market to seniors because seniors in general are not impulse shoppers.  tv shows like Dancing with the Stars have problems getting advertisers, because the shows cater to Seniors.  I also mentioned that survey companies do not want seniors doing surveys too.  The person in charge of the Facebook group says that advertisers want to promote to people that are going to be around ten years from now.

I agree Jewel  does a lot of that in order to buy the pop at the sale price I need to buy 4 of the12 pack I don't need 4 so sometimes I will just buy one at the higher price or else I don't buy any. I think its very unfair but don't know what we can do about it.

My local Ralphs which is owned by Kroger.. also has the buy 5 in order to get the extra savings and they do it in small print.. Before inflation, it was buy 2..

• Thanks 1

In my area , Tops requires that. But , the local store nearest to me - Herrema's Market Place - may have something on sale at 4/$5 , but you are allowed to buy as few as needed at $1.25. Not sure about Wegmans as I rarely shop there.

• Thanks 1

Walmart has that also.  I asked my son to get me some Nutella when he was going to Costco. There were two very large containers. I gave one to my granddaughers. 

Wegmans is supposed to be one of the best chains in the US.  I have heard it is not cheap though.  I belong to Sam's Club, and you have to buy lots of something.  I get cocoa there, and I get 50 packages of swiss miss at a time, but I have cocoa every evening, and so I go through it.  I also get my coffee filters at Sam's Club too.

Jewel does make you buy four cartons of pop in order to get it cheap, but I hardly buy pop anymore, and I am still working on the cartons of sparkling water that I got really cheap when Jewel had the Flavor Adventure game last summer.  There is a chance though that Kroger and Albertson's, which owns Jewel, are going to merge.  I hope not.  I don't care for Kroger.

On 1/26/2024 at 12:25 PM, Mommabear said:

My local Ralphs which is owned by Kroger.. also has the buy 5 in order to get the extra savings and they do it in small print.. Before inflation, it was buy 2..

I shop at Ralphs too as well as Vons (Albertsons/Safeway). Both do 4 or more or 5 or more at a reduced price and most of what is offered seems to be targeted at the younger crowd. I guess I have always known this but never really thought about it until now. It is what it is

• Like 1

On 1/28/2024 at 2:11 AM, NFriday said:

Wegmans is supposed to be one of the best chains in the US.  I have heard it is not cheap though.  I belong to Sam's Club, and you have to buy lots of something.  I get cocoa there, and I get 50 packages of swiss miss at a time, but I have cocoa every evening, and so I go through it.  I also get my coffee filters at Sam's Club too.

I don't have a Sam's Club near me but I have 3 Costco's within 30 miles. I used to shop so much at Costco before the pandemic but I do very minimal shopping there at present.  The prices have escalated to a point that I have actually sat down and figured out that  for many items it is NOT cheaper to shop there. Very disappointing as I have a member for many years and really depended on the savings I received. Not anymore

I only buy a few things from Sam's Club.  I buy most of my gas there, and then I buy my coffee filters there, and I buy a 50 packet of Swiss Miss cocoa there.  I also buy most of my toothpaste there, and I buy my tires for my car, as well as car batteries.