I Wish All Sites Allowed You to See Your Password Before You Log In!

Sandy21

I often inadvertently type in the wrong password as I am trying to log into a site. IF I am permitted to check my password to make sure I entered it correctly prior to logging in, I always do. It saves a bit of confusion and time on my part. For whatever the reason I have the Caps Lock pressed down fairly often or I just type in the wrong password.

I know this is a tiny gripe but it has bothered me for some time now. Anything to save a few minutes so we can actually get into the site we are attempting to access.

I know some people save passwords, maybe I am one of the few that does not? I don't save them for safety reasons. 

Anyone else have this pet peeve?

I have always had either the site remember it (keyed to my IP) or had the browser save it. I rarely have to type in login info now.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, episemion said:

I have always had either the site remember it (keyed to my IP) or had the browser save it. I rarely have to type in login info now.

I just don't save passwords period. Guess I'm paranoid. But I do share my computer....

3 hours ago, Sandy21 said:

I just don't save passwords period. Guess I'm paranoid. But I do share my computer....

I live alone , so there is no issue.

• Like 1

I have had the browser save it.  I do not have a shared computer, and so this is not a problem for me.

• Like 2

I have a password manager and also allow the browser to save them, so I can generate very strong ones.

• Like 2

I thank all of you for your responses. I now have insight into why so many sites don't allow you to see your password before you sign in. It appears that I am totally in the minority as I don't save my password and it seems most people do. 

23 hours ago, Sandy21 said:

I often inadvertently type in the wrong password as I am trying to log into a site. IF I am permitted to check my password to make sure I entered it correctly prior to logging in, I always do. It saves a bit of confusion and time on my part. For whatever the reason I have the Caps Lock pressed down fairly often or I just type in the wrong password.

I know this is a tiny gripe but it has bothered me for some time now. Anything to save a few minutes so we can actually get into the site we are attempting to access.

I know some people save passwords, maybe I am one of the few that does not? I don't save them for safety reasons. 

Anyone else have this pet peeve?

If you have Google chrome,there is password manager, where you can check..

Oh I have some very interesting passwords for survey sites that help me to remember..lol

3 hours ago, Mommabear said:

If you have Google chrome,there is password manager, where you can check..

Oh I have some very interesting passwords for survey sites that help me to remember..lol

I don't feel safe using  password manager. Guess I am just overcautious. But thanks for your suggestion. 

14 hours ago, Sandy21 said:

I don't feel safe using  password manager. Guess I am just overcautious. But thanks for your suggestion. 

I understand your caution as I refuse to jump on any bandwagon. However, reputable password managers are invaluable and the only password you need to remember is the master one. I use a personal mnemonic that I would never forget.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

On 1/27/2024 at 10:13 PM, Sandy21 said:

If you share your pc you can make an account for the person or Guest and protect your pc account with a password and let the guest have a password for their account. Then you don't have to worry about people seeing your passwords,.

I made  accounts for others on  every pc I ever had.

I would also suggest  after you password protect your pc  keep a folder on your pc and make a note pad or whatever note taking program you have on your pc. Make a note document for each site with the login and password and the date you made it. you can update it whenever you change the pass word. Also you can just copy the password from the notepad and paste it into the site. I do this even if I have my browser or site save passwords.

Edited by somelady
additional info
  • Like 1

On 1/29/2024 at 5:56 PM, NFriday said:

Does anybody have any password managers they would recommend?

I would suggest you keep a folder on your pc and make a note pad or whatever note taking program you have on your pc. Make a note document for each site with the login and password and the date you made it. you can update it whenever you change the pass word. Also you can just copy the password from the notepad and paste it into the site. I do this even if I have my browser or site save passwords.

• Like 1

I use chrome browser inbuilt feature but I know it's not the best practice :) I read that your computer could get infected with malware that could read the passwords from chrome, saw KeePass mentioned on reddit as a good password manager tool but never tried it.