Can Anyone Venture A Guess

Sandy21

as to WHY Amazon  refuses to allow product reviews from people who only pay with gift cards? You've got to have at least $50 in debit or credit card payments within a 12 month period to be permitted to review a product. There are other things you are not permitted to do as well if you only pay with gift cards but not being able to review merchandise really bothers me.

What is wrong with gift card payments and why are credit and debit card payments so much better. Any ideas?

I would think a gift card is also valid. Does it show why in any of their rules, if they have them?

33 minutes ago, mnleona said:

I would think a gift card is also valid. Does it show why in any of their rules, if they have them?

This is directly from their website:

You must have spent $50 on Amazon.com, using a credit or debit card, in the past 12 months to:

• Create reviews (including star ratings)
  • Answer customer questions
  • Submit helpful votes
  • Create idea lists
  • Follow other contributors
  • Create posts on Amazon Inspire
  • Comment on Shop by Interest posts, reply to others comments

5 hours ago, mnleona said:

t does say credit or debit card. Thanks for the info.

You are very welcome.

Why is a credit or a debit card any better than a gift card? Any thoughts?

Presumably Amazon thinks that allowing people who use Amazon gift cards to review products might be abused since people could potentially make several Amazon accounts to "review bomb" certain products. 

Personally I think it's silly, but I can see where Amazon is coming from.

8 hours ago, Oshawott said:

Presumably Amazon thinks that allowing people who use Amazon gift cards to review products might be abused since people could potentially make several Amazon accounts to "review bomb" certain products. 

Personally I think it's silly, but I can see where Amazon is coming from.

That never even occurred to me. Sounds totally ridiculous but I guess it could happen.

Thanks for your input

I see lots of cases where somebody comes out with a very polarizing book, such as an anti Trump book, and tons of Trump supporters who have not purchased the book, leave a one star review about the book  accusing the author of fabricating lies about Trump.  I don't know why these people are allowed to leave reviews, when they have probably not read the book.

1 hour ago, NFriday said:

I see lots of cases where somebody comes out with a very polarizing book, such as an anti Trump book, and tons of Trump supporters who have not purchased the book, leave a one star review about the book  accusing the author of fabricating lies about Trump.  I don't know why these people are allowed to leave reviews, when they have probably not read the book.

I've never seen what you've mentioned. But then again I never looked.

AND because we pay with gift cards we are NOT allowed to leave reviews? Okay....not much makes sense in this world of ours anymore. I just don't get it

Liz Chaney's book is a perfect example.  Out of all of the one star reviews for her book, only one is written by somebody who purchased the book at Amazon.

In fact just the other day I had to spend that $50 with my credit card so I can continue reviewing. But that's kind of an investment as I belong to Amazon Vine which I can order FREE stuff, but I am required to write reviews for the product I order. But as of now I am still unable to submit a review, I only place my order yesterday. I have to do that each year. BUT, even when I do buy stuff, I use gift cards all the time because I have lots of reward points to redeem from mypoints and Swagbucks so basically I am only spending about $50 of my own each year. Everything else is free.

10 hours ago, NFriday said:

Liz Chaney's book is a perfect example.  Out of all of the one star reviews for her book, only one is written by somebody who purchased the book at Amazon.

Why inthe world would Amazon even ALLOW these reviews??

6 hours ago, ErgoProxy said:

In fact just the other day I had to spend that $50 with my credit card so I can continue reviewing. But that's kind of an investment as I belong to Amazon Vine which I can order FREE stuff, but I am required to write reviews for the product I order. But as of now I am still unable to submit a review, I only place my order yesterday. I have to do that each year. BUT, even when I do buy stuff, I use gift cards all the time because I have lots of reward points to redeem from mypoints and Swagbucks so basically I am only spending about $50 of my own each year. Everything else is free.

I still wonder what's wrong with gift cards as opposed to credit and debit cards.

Wonderful you belong to AAmaon Vine and I totally understand your $50 investment. 

On 2/6/2024 at 3:35 PM, Sandy21 said:

as to WHY Amazon  refuses to allow product reviews from people who only pay with gift cards? You've got to have at least $50 in debit or credit card payments within a 12 month period to be permitted to review a product. There are other things you are not permitted to do as well if you only pay with gift cards but not being able to review merchandise really bothers me.

What is wrong with gift card payments and why are credit and debit card payments so much better. Any ideas?

I have had that happen to me as well when I pay with Amazon e gift cards.. doesn't seem fair

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mommabear said:

I have had that happen to me as well when I pay with Amazon e gift cards.. doesn't seem fair

I just wish I understood WHY!