Ipsos-is anyone having problems with the poll predictor?

footfree

I actually do think people win things on Ipsos and several other sites as well. While they could be bogus, I just don't think that they are. I don't think this because I think that these companies are decent or fair, quite the opposite actually, I think that it is absolutely to their benefit to offer prizes and follow through with them.

Lets say they get 5,000 people to fill out 1 survey a month for a sweepstakes entry. Lets say that those surveys are half hour surveys that they would have paid, lets say, $3.75 for. $3.75 a survey x 5000 surveys=$18,750 that they would have had to pay survey takers. Now lets say one person wins the monthly $1,000 prize. Sounds great, you have the chance to win a $1,000 for filling out one survey. Well the people that make out like bandits are the survey company. They got $18,750 worth of work for $1,000. (I just picked a bunch of arbitrary numbers to illustrate my point.)

Now if you don't want to read through all the numbers (I can't say I blame you!) what I'm saying is that it's in the survey companies' best interest to actually follow through on the prizes. They're already getting a ton of work for free by offering sweepstakes entries as incentives so why risk getting caught for not actually giving out prizes? Some companies may actually be that unscrupulous, however, I do actually think that many companies are in fact giving out prizes and making out like bandits by doing so.

If you ask me, forget the stupid sweepstakes and just offer ALL of us fair compensation for each survey. I'd rather get $8+/hr for a survey than take surveys on the chance that I might win a prize.

O wise one. OK when I was a teenager 15-16 in the summer when the Carnival would come to the Lake County Fair Grounds in Crown Point, Indiana, I worked at one of the games the Duck pond. You know were there was a big long horse troff filled with water and about 50 little yellow plastic ducks floated around in a oval circle and you pay money (to me) and pick up a duck and you would get a prize according to what was on the bottom of it small, medium, large or super. There was a wall behind me and the troff with prizes and according to each group sm. med. lg. sp. and you would pick what prize you wanted in that category. there was 1 DUCK that was marked super and chances were It was never picked. The Fair was in town for 12 days, and never was the super duck won. :cry:

I don't want to get too off topic but I can see how your story relates to the sweepstakes scenario but I'm not entirely sure what you're getting at.

In the sweepstakes scenario, if you go ahead and assume that the company is telling the truth and that they will pick one entry then one entry out of the pool of entries will definitely be chosen. In the duck scenario you mentioned, if we assume that the super duck is included each time someone picks then they have a 1 in 50 chance that they will pick the super prize. Depending on the number of people that paid to pick a duck, it's possible that no one would actually win the super prize whereas with the sweepstakes drawing someone will win if an entry is drawn. Your odds may not be good (in the situation I described, 1 out of 5,000) but someone will win it. In the duck scenario, it could happen that no one picks the super duck.

In both scenarios, though, the people running the game/sweepstakes are making far more than they are giving out so if that's where you were going with the story I agree, for most people it will end up being a waste of time.

Like I said you Chelsea you are wise beyond your years and I am very glad to have you as a pen pal :D

Like I said you Chelsea you are wise beyond your years and I am very glad to have you as a pen pal :D

I am very glad to have you as a pen pal as well :) Happy New Year!

• 3 weeks later...

I have yet to hear of anyone winning anything on it. yes i been having lots of problems with it. it tell me that it can not find the site. or that i done played the maximum time for the day but so far my points always show up. i love playing it just to see what questions they come up with and see if i think the people that ask are telling the truth or not. lately i not been doing to good at getting close to the right answer.