Focus & Discussion Groups

LizzieAnn

Can I just ask (it may have been asked elsewhere forgive me if I repeat myself!) if anyone has ever participated in a focus or discussion group for say, an hour or two online SUCCESSFULLY and BEEN PAID IN FULL FOR IT? How long did the group take, what format did it take and how much did you get paid and how long did your payment take to get to you?

I hope you don't think I am being nosey, but it looks like I have finally qualified for my first ever focus group and I just wanted to know what to expect and if anyone else has been successful - it is quite an exciting prospect as they pay so much better than your common or garden survey experience!

Thanks In Advance

LizzieAnn xx :D

I've done only online focus groups, mostly via Greenfield and Surveyspot. Both offer focus groups from clients that use the Invoke Interactive platform, a chat-based application. Most Invoke sessions last 60-90 minutes and I've been paid anywhere from $20 - $40. In that amount of time, panelists may be asked to view completed ads or storyboards, critique packaging, and give their opinions in a chat-based environment. I usually get paid 4-6 weeks after close of a focus group.

I also participated in a message board-based focus group from 20/20 Research. The project lasted 3 days and I received a $75 check within a week of the project's conclusion.

And I've turned down some offline focus group invitations because either the facilities were inconveniently located or I had a scheduling conflict.

I've done only online focus groups, mostly via Greenfield and Surveyspot. Both offer focus groups from clients that use the Invoke Interactive platform, a chat-based application. Most Invoke sessions last 60-90 minutes and I've been paid anywhere from $20 - $40. In that amount of time, panelists may be asked to view completed ads or storyboards, critique packaging, and give their opinions in a chat-based environment. I usually get paid 4-6 weeks after close of a focus group.

I also participated in a message board-based focus group from 20/20 Research. The project lasted 3 days and I received a $75 check within a week of the project's conclusion.

And I've turned down some offline focus group invitations because either the facilities were inconveniently located or I had a scheduling conflict.

I have the same experaince as you, however there have not been manty group studies out for a long time. Maybe the bad economy?

I find its fun and easy, but it can can take up to 90 mins or longer.

I participated in a focus group a few years ago where I reviewed the layout for a magazine. It was for the teacher's union that I am a member of. We met at a local hotel and the focus group lasted around an hour and I was paid around $40.00. If I remember correctly, I was paid within a few weeks. We were shown many different color combinations, many different layout combinations for the magazine. There were about 10 people in the focus group. I found out about this opportunity through the teacher's union so it was very specific to my area of work.

I am researching focus groups around my general area and as I have time, filling out their demographic requirements. It's just that all this typing of my demographics takes about 20 minutes per company.

Once again, here's a link for the Green Book information. This link is for companies in the UK but just change it around for your area.

http://www.greenbook.org/focus-group-facilities.cfm/l/United-Kingdom

Hope this gives everyone who is interested in focus groups a starting point.

Ever learning,

teachell

I've participated in a focus group before (and had a few other offers to as well) and was paid for it. They all vary in length of time, I think mine was 75 minutes and I was paid $25 for it, which isn't bad if you consider what minimum wage is for an hour! Ever since I've done that I've become rather picky about doing those $5 for an hour surveys. It was actually pretty fun to do the focus group, I thought, just knowing that you were participating in a live action survey. I believe this focus group and the others I have received have been through Survey Spot.

oh thank you all so much for your replies. I await with bated breath whether or not I will actually get to take part, they seem really worthwhile!

thanks again

LizzieAnn

oh thank you all so much for your replies. I await with bated breath whether or not I will actually get to take part, they seem really worthwhile!

thanks again

LizzieAnn

They definitely are! I hope you enjoy your upcoming focus group!

I just completed a focus group for Vocal Point Research this past Tuesday it was great it was for testdriving a Saturn Vue the focus group and test drive took only 2 1/2 hours the compensaton was $225.00 :D:!::!: I really enjoyed it!

I am about to do one for 20/20 that will compensate $100.00 the big money is in the focus groups but they don't come nearly as often as regular online surveys do so I still do regular online suveys as well

Vocal Point is a really great company. I love their emails and all of the samples/information packets I receive from them. I haven't completed any focus groups with them, but I did do a few surveys and I was paid rather well.

I completed a focus group with 20/20 about 2 months ago for $120. I was paid on time and it was worth my time and effort. :)

I've also participated in focus groups here in my state and have received between $50-300 for my time. Rules state a person is only allowed to do one every 6 months, but it's a great way to earn extra money once in awhile. The compensation is generally applicable to the time allocated and the subject matter. :lol:

cor blimey, that is some incentive!! I have yet to be successful, it looks like I may never get to participate in one. Do either of these survey companies work in the UK? or are they international or just American? It seems that if you are on the other side of the pond you get paid better!!

the test drive sounds like fun and the sample packs too....I don't drive, but would love to do more of these. I didnt know you could only do a focus group once every 6 months - has anyone ever qualified then been disqualified because of this?

LizzieAnn

I have yet to be successful as I say but I did have an offer to go to Berlin and attend a focus group and the incentive was way up around the £200 mark but I don't drive or have a passport, so sadly I had to say no to that one.

On a plus note, I am getting to test some toilet cleaner soon! :oops: from little acorns..... :?

LizzieAnn