opinion outpost

peach6

I seriously doubt it. I always found it a little strange that checks through them and amazon.com certificates were for the same amount. Most online sites where you trade in points for certificates allow you to spend less to get amazon.com certificates instead of straight currency. For instance, on Swagbucks I can get $5 of amazon.com credit for 450 points whereas I need to save up 700 points to get $5 for paypal.

I think they've gone to paypal and a higher payout so they can hold onto the money people earn a bit longer and generate more income off the interest.

I seriously doubt it. I always found it a little strange that checks through them and amazon.com certificates were for the same amount. Most online sites where you trade in points for certificates allow you to spend less to get amazon.com certificates instead of straight currency. For instance, on Swagbucks I can get $5 of amazon.com credit for 450 points whereas I need to save up 700 points to get $5 for paypal.

I think they've gone to paypal and a higher payout so they can hold onto the money people earn a bit longer and generate more income off the interest.

This has always been my theory but people call me crazy because with the economy and the rate of interest they pay there really isn't any money to be made that way.However I disagree with them any money is better then none.The longer they hold on to it the more money they can make per monthly balance from the interest only.Also hasn't anyone ever heard how the rich stay rich?It's because they don't squander their money they save it.It adds up a lot quicker then one might think.

This has always been my theory but people call me crazy because with the economy and the rate of interest they pay there really isn't any money to be made that way.However I disagree with them any money is better then none.The longer they hold on to it the more money they can make per monthly balance from the interest only.Also hasn't anyone ever heard how the rich stay rich?It's because they don't squander their money they save it.It adds up a lot quicker then one might think.

Well, it's just plain good business sense. I wish OO had done it originally then I'd still be making money with them. And really, it's how paypal and the banks make their money - aside from that shady loan/mortgage business.

People don't think it works because most people don't have more than a few pennies to put into an interest paying savings account. When you can put in at least a couple of thousand - which surely OO can do - you begin to start making some nice money back on your investment. Not to mention the fact that businesses have access to better rates than commonfolk opening a bank account. :)

The way the rich get rich and then stay rich is that they (generally) live off of the interest generated by their investments. Interest is taxed at a much lower rate than other forms of income - something that is gaining more notice with Romney's tax returns being released. The sad thing is that there probably will be a change in the tax code eventually because of that and it'll only hurt the ones who are barely making ends meet living off their 401ks, etc. not people like Romney.

At any rate, OO probably shot themselves in the foot by allowing such low payouts. I don't think anyone would have minded a higher minimum payout if it still meant the payments were as prompt as they were.