check sent to do money transfer

z28tops57

I received a check from Global Test Market for $1290.45 of which I was supposed to send $900 via Western Union to an undisclosed address. My bank rejected the check as Unable To Locate Account. My phone calls were never answered my Global Test Market.

Never ever ever do a money transfer for a survey company!! That's one of the oldest scams in the book. I'm not sure if the company is a part of it or if someone is just using their name but please be very careful!!! I'm glad your bank did not process the check or you'd be out a lot of money.

Never EVER wire money to someone you don't know in exchange for cashing a check you never expected.

Scammers steal company logos (including ours) off websites all the time to create letterhead accompanied by a convincing writeup. The attach a check (often with holographs) and ask for money to be wired to a Western Union address. There is often a telephone number listed which will work (for a few days anyway) after you receive the letter.

This is one of the oldest scams in the book - do not fall for it. If you are not expecting a check in the mail and you get one for an enormous sum, this should sound alarm bells.

Survey companies, or any legitimate businesses are not "in" on this scam. The Western Union accounts are typically overseas and the people involved have absolutely nothing to do with the company whose logo they end up stealing. If you think a check you receive might be genuine, call the actual company (visit their website to find their direct contact information) and call them yourself. When they tell you it's fake, forward it to your local police department.

I got one for $4,500. Had you wired the money, you would have been out that amount! Ditto to everything the previous posters said. I called that number (in Canada), the guy could hardly speak English. I knew it was a scam but I wanted to see what he would say when I said the bank told me it's a phony check. Needless to say, he hung up on me. Also, please be aware that if you get an email from a friend saying they are stranded in another country and to please wire money...and you notify the friend...that email will go back to the creep, not your friend! Somehow they know how to do this, so always try to call your friend. One of my friends just had one of this letters sent to 500 people on her email list and because some of her friends are not computer savvy and some are elderly, she is hoping nobody fell for it. These unscrupulous people learn how to make these letters seem sincere.

In any case, glad you checked it out and didn't fall into the trap. It sickens me to think what people are capable of doing to one another. If they don't get caught, I hope there is some kind of karma that will get to them eventually.

This is one scarey story. I had no idea it could happen through a survey company.

It didn't necessarily happen through the company. It could have been a fake email that used the company's logo.

This is one scary story. I had no idea it could happen through a survey company.

It didn't necessarily happen through the company. It could have been a fake email that used the company's logo.

I get this email all the time about me winning some contest from microsoft $1,000,000 pounds to send them my info, and it looks convincing enough, but the people are always in Africa. After the 5th one I went into were it say's messages in my email at the upper left side between tools and help. click messages a drop down screen,click block messages, :roll: and blocked that email from ever appearing in my email again.

I received a check from Global Test Market for $1290.45 of which I was supposed to send $900 via Western Union to an undisclosed address. My bank rejected the check as Unable To Locate Account. My phone calls were never answered my Global Test Market.

I have had Global Markets for about 3 years now and they have NEVER asked me this, nor do I know of anyone who does GTM have they ever done this to him. I hate to say it, but you got scammed! Contact the authorities RIGHT away!

be funny if you contacted the person telling them that you cashed the check and actually got the money.. see how long you could keep them going trying to get it from you.. keep making up problems as to why the money isn't going through.. take it further saying they put the check through electronically and it actually paid me $10,000, not $1,000.. and wanting to do the right thing you want to send the person their share in proportion, thinking it was a printing error, which would be $9,000.. but you're having 'trouble' wiring it :D it would drive the person nuts knowing you're willing to give them that amount of money and they can't actually get it from you :lol:

You also need to tell GTM what has happened so they can post a disclaimer on their web site.A lot of survey companies have had scammer's use their site for this very reason.I know if you go to ACOP web site they have a warning about someone impersonating themselves as a mystery shopper company.If nothing else GTM can send out a email to their survey takers and warn them.