MERCHANDISE VS. $$$$

1957horses

Hey SP Family,

So I was thinking (yes I do do that from time to time) And if we chose a gift card instead of cash is that still considered as taxable?? I mean I am spending my time doing surveys for merchandise (eg. amazon) and not $$$. Or is it all considered cash :?: I mean no $$$ traded hands. I am receiving a product for my time. :?

Not a tax expert, but my thought is that it would be considered taxable income. Just like if you receive a car allowance from your place of employment. That is taxable income.

Not a tax expert, but my thought is that it would be considered taxable income. Just like if you receive a car allowance from your place of employment. That is taxable income.

Yes it is. It's payment in exchange for your work so it is taxable.

OMG! I just had this thought when I was going to bed last night. Thank goodness I don't get much of anything from these places. In IL you can win either $400 or $600 month and not claim it.

OMG! I just had this thought when I was going to bed last night. Thank goodness I don't get much of anything from these places. In IL you can win either $400 or $600 month and not claim it.

Survey site income isn't considered "winning" as even the sweepstakes entries are a form of payment. When you sign up for survey sites, you are considered an independent contractor and anything you receive in return for completing a survey or other task on GPT sites is considered your payment from your employer/income.

Survey site income isn't considered "winning" as even the sweepstakes entries are a form of payment. When you sign up for survey sites, you are considered an independent contractor and anything you receive in return for completing a survey or other task on GPT sites is considered your payment from your employer/income.

Ahh, that you idylatoo. I will have to think about whether I turn it in or not.

dumb question but what is gpt survey? what does that stand for pls.

Hey stormycloud,

There are no dumb questions. We all have to learn from someone what so and so is. :)