Fake Pinecone email

magnoliamws

I got this email today. The real Pinecone wouldn't send anything like this. Beware!

Following the successful assessment of your application which took place a couple of minutes ago, you've been selected as a Mystery Shopper for your region of United States. We strongly believe you've got what it takes to carry out the various survey in your region and hope we'll not be disappointed.

Your First Assignment:

To carry out a Secret Survey on the nearest Western Union outlet in your location by forwarding a fixed amount {$970.00} to a "Mystery Consumer" in another region who's conducting the same survey at the "Recipient" end. The recipient's information will be provided in subsequent communication.

A check for $1210.00 has been issued and should get delivered to you via regular mail within the next 1-4 business days.

Cash the check.

Your income is $150.00 for the survey.

You're to deduct another $90.00 to cover the transfer charges (Money in Minutes) at the Western Union outlet.

Visit http://www.westernunion.com to locate the nearest Western Union store to your location.

How to rate the Western Union Outlet's Service:

You're to rate the Western Union outlet's service by simply observing and recording the parameters below:

Outlet store address:

Appearance of agent:

Time taken to complete transaction:

Service:

Friendliness:

Efficiency:

Future improvement you would like to see:

Upon completion of the survey you're to send us an E-mail with your rating of the store/outlet under the parameters above.

Kindly acknowledge the receipt of this email if you fully understand this procedure and will be available to accept the payment.

Thanks for your interest and CONFIDENTIAL participation in Pinecone Research. . .where we value you, your time, your privacy and your opinions.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Verified by SurveyPolice

Better Business Patio Builder

I got this email today. The real Pinecone wouldn't send anything like this. Beware!

Following the successful assessment of your application which took place a couple of minutes ago, you've been selected as a Mystery Shopper for your region of United States. We strongly believe you've got what it takes to carry out the various survey in your region and hope we'll not be disappointed.

Your First Assignment:

To carry out a Secret Survey on the nearest Western Union outlet in your location by forwarding a fixed amount {$970.00} to a "Mystery Consumer" in another region who's conducting the same survey at the "Recipient" end. The recipient's information will be provided in subsequent communication.

A check for $1210.00 has been issued and should get delivered to you via regular mail within the next 1-4 business days.

Cash the check.

Your income is $150.00 for the survey.

You're to deduct another $90.00 to cover the transfer charges (Money in Minutes) at the Western Union outlet.

Visit http://www.westernunion.com to locate the nearest Western Union store to your location.

How to rate the Western Union Outlet's Service:

You're to rate the Western Union outlet's service by simply observing and recording the parameters below:

Outlet store address:

Appearance of agent:

Time taken to complete transaction:

Service:

Friendliness:

Efficiency:

Future improvement you would like to see:

Upon completion of the survey you're to send us an E-mail with your rating of the store/outlet under the parameters above.

Kindly acknowledge the receipt of this email if you fully understand this procedure and will be available to accept the payment.

Thanks for your interest and CONFIDENTIAL participation in PineCone Research. . .where we value you, your time, your privacy and your opinions.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Verified by SurveyPolice

Better Business Patio Builder

As I stated before on another said scam, I contacted the survey site and told them and forward them the email (or send them a screenshot) and in return they gave me $50.00 in my paypal account. I would contack Pinecone and they might want you also to forward the email.

Thank You for giving us the heads up. :o

This is something akin to the money order scam on Craigslist. These scammers are always out here in cyberspace just looking, searching and scoping for another victim. They never quit. Always remember that if it sounds too good to be true then it is probably a scam. Don't ever take it at face value. In other words don't believe anything until you check it out and verify for yourself.

I got a letter in regular mail from a "survey" company asking me to evaluate my local Western Union when I do a transaction. The "transaction" was to go there and wire money to a certain address they gave me. They enclosed a check for $4500. You read that right. I was to deposit this phony check it into my bank and then take out $3000 and send it to this creep in Canada. They even had a phone number. I called and made believe I didn't understand the instructions and he hung up on me when I said I would trace him. NEVER (whoever is reading this) take money out of your bank and fall into these traps (and advise your mom, dad, grandma...this comes in all forms). The thing about these fake checks is that they look real and will be deposited into your account but when you withdraw money, you are out that money when the bank catches the fake check. I truly hope these creeps get the karma they deserve. Or jail time, that would be fine. Unconscionable.

A few years ago I was trying to sell a dorm fridge and some other stuff on Craigslist. The ad had only been up a few hours when I got an email from a man saying had saw my ad and wanted to buy the refrigerator and he would send me a check. He got my address and I received a money order 3 or 4 days later. It was for $2,000. The letter inside with the check said to cash the check and even take out an extra $200 as a bonus and then send him back the rest. The return address was in Nigeria. A man even called me and he just barely spoke English and I could hear lots of traffic in the background. Probably a pay phone. I got wise and told him I was on to to his scam and hung up. Took the checks to the pd and they told me it was definitely a scam and had happened to a few other people here locally already. Some of who had cashed the check and sent the money and then later the banks realized they were fake and then the person was held responsible for repaying all the money back to the bank.

I belong to AARP and get their magazine and newspapers. They often include stories like this. It isn't just people 50+ that fall into this trap but a lot of older people get conned, in banks...everywhere, so glad they are spreading the word. I also see a lot of things on Facebook and the usuaul "fwd"s about safety that we get in out email from friends. After the "craigslist murder" a couple of years ago, I am very cautious with them. I sold a guitar there and made sure to meet the buyer in my lobby with many people around. He paid me cash and all went well. Glad you didn't fall into the Nigerian scam yourself. Even being pretty streetwise, when I got the huge check, I didn't get the red flag for a minute or so. It looked so real. I feel so badly for people who get rooked and hope the education continues. Glad this thread was posted.