Magazines HORRIBLY OVER PRICED GARBAGE

fiestyvermin

I had to post this. I was in the Doctors Office last week and picked up one of the magazines they had scattered about and was disgusted. I do not remember the magazine but the retail price on the cover was 4.95, the magazine only had 39 or 40 pages something stupid like that. Countless and countless ads depicting all kinds of useless trash but who in their right mind would pay over 10 cents a page to look at this. Some people have more money than sense or most people. They want to complain about people dropping subscriptions but they first need to address their own short comings and place the blame where it belongs.

I think some magazines are better than others. I like to look at cooking magazines and I'll occasionally buy one if there are a few recipes in it that I'd like to try. (I know I could just write down the recipes, but I don't feel like that's right or fair to do.) I'll also occasionally buy magazines about writing and technology and a few other things. They're expensive, but I figure if I'm going to read the whole thing it's worth the price (for the most part). I'll also grab a fashion magazine every now and again - especially when seasons change - to keep an eye on trends.

I totally agree with you about magazines like People and other gossip rags. Especially since there are so many sites online that do the same thing that you can read for FREE. Same is true for a lot of magazines these days, unfortunately. It used to be that you needed to get the latest magazine to get the best news on whatever your interest is - fashion, computers, cooking, etc. - and that's just no longer the case with the internet. The worst part is that most magazines don't seem to be bothering to up the ante to get their readers back.

I do try to look through the magazine racks at B&N every now and then to see if there's something new that is worth my time/investment. I'm pretty nerdy and I recently stumbled across GEEK that I think I'll start picking up on a regular basis. For the most part, though, I barely read magazines anymore.

Once last year I let my daughter go get a magazine -of course she got one geared towards teens.After she put it down and I paid for it I started thinking that sure was expensive,how much was it?I looked at the receipt and it was $10.So this was her last one to get that I was buying.She looked thru it for 2 hours then threw it away -what a waste of money!She did put some of the pics on her bedroom walls but still what a waste!I don't buy magazines to me they are a waste anyways.Then it's real hard to quit having them come.I accidentally signed up for one on the internet and trying to get them to cancel it was a hassle.The guy at the post office was kind enough to show me how .It's in fine print on one of the back pages.

We get a few subscriptions here at home but I recently was looking through the magazine rack at Wal Mart and was really shocked at the prices myself. It's ridiculous. I don't want to look at one that bad. If I do I'll thumb through it at the store. :mrgreen: