Do You Buy DVDs?

avemaria

I never buy DVDs!!! I rent them and for $12.00 a month I get 16 movies a month (2 twice a week) If I have already seen it why would I buy it?? It will be on regular tv in a year. I just can't see spending $20.00 on a movie. Well that's my way of thinking. :lol: Even going to the shows, now tickets are what about $18.00 a person and there's 2 of us so that's $36.00?? At home I watch the new movies within 2 months of it being on "the big screen" and I can pause it to go to the bathroom, make my own popcorn that cost a dollar to buy from the store same with drinks. I don't have to have someone behind me rattling cellophane behind my head (that is so annoying) or talking behind me (that to is annoying) all said and done it cost me $4.00 to watch the movie at home, having my drink and popcorn and my mom can watch it to (she doesn't like to go out to much 88 years old). I guess actress would go broke if more people were like me, waiting for it to go to DVDs. :lol:

yeah but you're missing out on the 2498 hours of coma inducing extra footage they include on the bonus discs... including the uncut version of the movie.. (which i'm sure as you know all movies are actually 9 hours long before they're cut for the cinema.. it's a conspiracy so the movie companies can sell more tickets.. there isn't enough time in a day to show a 9 hour movie to the entire town and still get the dvd out within 4 months, so they cut it down to 90 minutes.. sometimes 80 if the actors aren't so good.. and the theater can profit more from the sales of their underpriced concessions.. it's only fair.. times are tough for concession people.. so much so they now charge for salt if you want it on your popcorn).. and then you also get a dvd version included WITH the blue ray version... and if you just have to see the movie while you're outside the house and out of range of the tv, like while you're watering the flowers or walking the dog.. if that long walk in nature and the beauties of God's creation bore you too much.. or in many cases in most cities, while you're driving.., you can watch it on your smartphone with the ultraviolet copy which is also included.. and also the digital copy you can store on your pc, in case you're too tired to turn around from facing your laptop to face the tv on the other side of the room... so you see it's worth it to buy the special edition discs and not just rent the movie.. because in today's times, if the technology is there.. we have to be using it at all times.. or we're just not cool.

I never buy DVDs!!! I rent them and for $12.00 a month I get 16 movies a month (2 twice a week) If I have already seen it why would I buy it?? It will be on regular tv in a year. I just can't see spending $20.00 on a movie. Well that's my way of thinking. :lol: Even going to the shows, now tickets are what about $18.00 a person and there's 2 of us so that's $36.00?? At home I watch the new movies within 2 months of it being on "the big screen" and I can pause it to go to the bathroom, make my own popcorn that cost a dollar to buy from the store same with drinks. I don't have to have someone behind me rattling cellophane behind my head (that is so annoying) or talking behind me (that to is annoying) all said and done it cost me $4.00 to watch the movie at home, having my drink and popcorn and my mom can watch it to (she doesn't like to go out to much 88 years old). I guess actress would go broke if more people were like me, waiting for it to go to DVDs. :lol:

yeah but you're missing out on the 2498 hours of coma inducing extra footage they include on the bonus discs... including the uncut version of the movie.. (which i'm sure as you know all movies are actually 9 hours long before they're cut for the cinema.. it's a conspiracy so the movie companies can sell more tickets.. there isn't enough time in a day to show a 9 hour movie to the entire town and still get the dvd out within 4 months, so they cut it down to 90 minutes.. sometimes 80 if the actors aren't so good.. and the theater can profit more from the sales of their underpriced concessions.. it's only fair.. times are tough for concession people.. so much so they now charge for salt if you want it on your popcorn).. and then you also get a dvd version included WITH the blue ray version... and if you just have to see the movie while you're outside the house and out of range of the tv, like while you're watering the flowers or walking the dog.. if that long walk in nature and the beauties of God's creation bore you too much.. or in many cases in most cities, while you're driving.., you can watch it on your smartphone with the ultraviolet copy which is also included.. and also the digital copy you can store on your pc, in case you're too tired to turn around from facing your laptop to face the tv on the other side of the room... so you see it's worth it to buy the special edition discs and not just rent the movie.. because in today's times, if the technology is there.. we have to be using it at all times.. or we're just not cool.

I really like the Marvel films so I will buy the dvds for those because the extras interest me - to see what they cut out and why, etc., since I'm familiar with the story. Same goes for other films based on novels or other older films that fascinate me. I don't get why every single movie has to have all those special features now other than the fact that people expect them. One of my friends from school used to write the school plays and stuff so I have a particular interest in the technical side of cinema as well.

That said, I love my roku and Netflix streaming and Amazon Prime. I LOVE being able to watch a lot of stuff without having to deal with discs and rentals and all that other mess.

Well I guess we we'll agree to dis-agree. Hey that's what makes the world go round. Everybody enjoys things in there own way. :D Hey could I barrow you copy............................ :lol:

I buy DVD's on Amazon sometimes but they are mostly old tv shows from the 60's, 70's and 80's. I really enjoy watching them over and over especially with no commercials. I tend to agree with you 1957horses about the movies. I really don't care to watch them over and over again so why would I want to own them? Unless it's something like "The Wall" or the "Nightmare on Elm Street" movies. But yeah, I also understand what some of you are saying about the extras and such. I can see where that would be cool.

I have all but the last season of Bewitched on DVD. It's one of my all time favorites though. I also have most of Seinfeld. :mrgreen:

I buy DVDs on Amazon sometimes but they are mostly old tv shows from the 60's, 70's and 80's. I really enjoy watching them over and over especially with no commercials. I tend to agree with you 1957horses about the movies. I really don't care to watch them over and over again so why would I want to own them? Unless it's something like "The Wall" or the "Nightmare on Elm Street" movies. But yeah, I also understand what some of you are saying about the extras and such. I can see where that would be cool.

I have all but the last season of Bewitched on DVD. It's one of my all time favorites though. I also have most of Seinfeld. :mr green:

Well now you had to go there and make a liar out of me. I do however have a few DVDs, All witch are about horses!! I don't watch them, (I've seen them plenty of times on TV) I they are of course in my horse collection. Like Black Beauty (for the VCR) the cover has a black horse rearing up and in front of it a few inches lower I have a black horse statue rearing up, so it looks like it jumped out of the picture. I would have to say that my horse collection is around 3,000, that's with just about everything you could think of that has a horse on it. My wedding band is a gold horse head. Go figure. :D

Most of my dvds are either movies I really like and tv shows that aren't available on streaming. I have M*A*S*H for instance, which I watch a lot. I like to have something on in the background - keeps the dogs quiet, too.

I think more young people buy DVD'S while people who are older see them as clutter and dust collectors.

I don't know, I think it really comes down to whether you're into watching certain things - or just into cinema in general - vs any sort of age thing. If you really like movies and tv shows, you'll spend money on that. If you're into, say horses, then that's where your money is going to go. Everyone likes a different "dust collector". I know a few "young people" who have almost no dvds simply because watching whatever is on tv is fine for them.

If anything, I could see older folks maybe not feeling the need to upgrade from VHS - I know I haven't for a lot of my favorite older movies.

I think more young people buy DVD'S while people who are older see them as clutter and dust collectors.

I don't know, I think it really comes down to whether you're into watching certain things - or just into cinema in general - vs any sort of age thing. If you really like movies and tv shows, you'll spend money on that. If you're into, say horses, then that's where your money is going to go. Everyone likes a different "dust collector". I know a few "young people" who have almost no dvds simply because watching whatever is on tv is fine for them.

If anything, I could see older folks maybe not feeling the need to upgrade from VHS - I know I haven't for a lot of my favorite older movies.

Aww Geess, :oops:

didn't anyone pick up on my trying to be funny about the movie packages that include everything under the sun? i just think it's ridiculous to have such a package.. and they set it for preorder for like $30 at least.

Aww Geess, :oops:

VHS really?I haven't watched a VHS in eons-Plus I have both a blu-ray and DVD player-I think the big thing now is to have your VHS transferred into a DVD -My daughter wanted to do this but I actually think it's cheaper just to buy the DVD.If I'm wrong let me know.I mean you can actually watch a full length movie on your smartphone and or android.Not sure you can get thru a whole movie with 1 charge but you can do this.Hell I even think I can watch tv on my tablet-I haven't tried but I can.I really need to get more of a life and stop watching so much tv and looking at the computer.Not sure the younger generation will live as long as my generation if they dont get up and start moving more.I know I'm rambling-sorry....................

VHS really?I haven't watched a VHS in eons-Plus I have both a blu-ray and DVD player-I think the big thing now is to have your VHS transferred into a DVD -My daughter wanted to do this but I actually think it's cheaper just to buy the DVD.If I'm wrong let me know.I mean you can actually watch a full length movie on your smartphone and or android.Not sure you can get thru a whole movie with 1 charge but you can do this.Hell I even think I can watch tv on my tablet-I haven't tried but I can.I really need to get more of a life and stop watching so much tv and looking at the computer.Not sure the younger generation will live as long as my generation if they dont get up and start moving more.I know I'm rambling-sorry....................

Really. My VHS player still works and while I do have a blu-ray player, I don't see the point in buying older movies on DVD that I already own on VHS. It's not like there are new super awesome special features for old Bette Davis or John Wayne films, for example. I inherited my grandparents' videotapes and a lot of them are older stuff - like Hitchcock - that might look a bit better on DVD, but otherwise spending money to own another copy of something I already have doesn't particularly interest me. I'd rather put that money towards something that I don't already own.

Unless you have the know-how to do it yourself, VHS to DVD isn't worth the cost. The only way I'd see a use for that is if it's home movies where if the tape goes, it's gone forever. I'm not sure any professional places would transfer copyrighted material anyway.

I use Netflix and Amazon Prime to steam content all the time - especially since they're available on a variety of devices.

Really. My VHS player still works and while I do have a blu-ray player, I don't see the point in buying older movies on DVD that I already own on VHS. It's not like there are new super awesome special features for old Bette Davis or John Wayne films, for example. I inherited my grandparents' videotapes and a lot of them are older stuff - like Hitchcock - that might look a bit better on DVD, but otherwise spending money to own another copy of something I already have doesn't particularly interest me. I'd rather put that money towards something that I don't already own.

Unless you have the know-how to do it yourself, VHS to DVD isn't worth the cost. The only way I'd see a use for that is if it's home movies where if the tape goes, it's gone forever. I'm not sure any professional places would transfer copyrighted material anyway.

I use Netflix and Amazon Prime to steam content all the time - especially since they're available on a variety of devices.

I wonder if they still sell vhs recorders -just checked at Walmart -my goodness those things are expensive.I guess I'm not into movies like I use to be.Maybe one day I will ,who knows.

I wonder if they still sell vhs recorders -just checked at Walmart -my goodness those things are expensive.I guess I'm not into movies like I use to be.Maybe one day I will ,who knows.

Thrift store!! :D