Using a Visa Promocode (from any panel) -- help, please

bluenoter

From Rewards info. at one or more of the survey panels:

Use virtual accounts anywhere Visa® is accepted online or over the phone. The promocode redemption website provides balance information and transaction history to help you keep track of your reward.

This reward does have an expiration date.

Would I get on the phone with a merchant and say, "Please split the charge for this $30 purchase. Please charge $25 to [the number of my virtual Visa account] and charge $5 to [the number of a "real" account]"??? What's the likelihood that a merchant will agree to split the charge that way?

(I don't really expect to find the ability to split the charge that way on a merchant's website.)

So, any tips on using a virtual Visa account acquired through a Visa Promocode reward? I wouldn't want the hassle of planning my purchases around the amount left in the account.

Thanks!

A virtual store is no different then a physical store when it comes to payments. It's money and they will take it any way you can spend it even if you have to use 10 gift cards or two credit/debit cards.

Ultimately though only each individual retailer can answer with 100% accuracy so calling or emailing customer service before the purchase might be the best option if you think there might be an issue.

From Rewards info. at one or more of the survey panels:
Use virtual accounts anywhere Visa® is accepted online or over the phone. The promocode redemption website provides balance information and transaction history to help you keep track of your reward.

This reward does have an expiration date.

Would I get on the phone with a merchant and say, "Please split the charge for this $30 purchase. Please charge $25 to [the number of my virtual Visa account] and charge $5 to [the number of a "real" account]"??? What's the likelihood that a merchant will agree to split the charge that way?

(I don't really expect to find the ability to split the charge that way on a merchant's website.)

So, any tips on using a virtual Visa account acquired through a Visa Promocode reward? I wouldn't want the hassle of planning my purchases around the amount left in the account.

Thanks!

I would also like to know how to use a virtual card. I have had problems with a virtual credit card. The item I was interested in buying was more than my virtual card. The seller would not accept my own credit card in addition to the virtual card. Eventually I found an item with an amount that was close to the virtual card and used it, left a little unused balance on the card. I think gift cards are the easiest way. But, what if you don't want gift cards? Previously I was able to use the card on my Paypal acct but I had to first use my available balance on Paypal before I could use the card. I would transfer Paypal into my bank acct and then use the virtual card. I don't think that Paypal accepts a virtual card any longer and it was too much trouble. Any advice on using a virtual card would be helpful.

I never choose the virtual card offers unless they are for Amazon.com. I just don't know enough about the virtual cards and don't totally trust them.

There are websites you can sell most gift cards (excluding Amazon cards).

https://www.plasticjungle.com/

http://www.cardpool.com/

Walmart cards give the highest (or lowest depending if you are buying or selling) exchange rate and Plastic Jungle gives the best offer for transferring the balance to PayPal. Cardpool wants an extra fee for transferring to PayPal and Plastic Jungle does not. Or you can use the option to have them mail you a check. Just order a Walmart card, get it in the mail then trade it in for cash. The minimum is $25.00 so for a $25 Walmart card you get $22.75 into PayPal or a check in the mail. The rates can and do change so it may be a different percentage at any given time. I have used Plastic Jungle before but not Cardpool because of the extra PayPal fee.

There are a few sites that accept Visa debit card but the exchange rates make them a horrible deal so I wouldn't suggest using those unless you want to give away somewhere around 25% of your card balance.

You can also add money to PayPal with money from Green Dot MoneyPak cards so you might see if you can buy one of those with the virtual card. They sell them at places like Walmart, Walgreens, CVS, Radio Shack and other retailers. https://www.moneypak.com/

• 4 weeks later...

Aside from the new policy at Valued Opinions to charge us a 25% fee ($5 on a $20 Visa Promo Code), your concern about actually being able to use it is valid. When I first received mine (it was $30 with no fee at the time), I contacted multiple online sites asking if there was a way to do a split transaction. Without exception, no site had this functionality. A few places told me I could call in my order instead and they would try to accommodate me, but not all of them did making it a hassle to try to use the codes.

I lamented about this problem in a 'rants and raves' section regarding the new fee and was given a few options. One of them was serve.com which is run by American Express and apparently you can fund a prepaid card with other credit cards (which you use the Visa code as). There are other helpful suggestions in the thread I referenced.

Something I was able to do with the balance on one of my visa promo codes was to buy an-e gift certificate from Walmart--minimum amount is only $5 and you can choose any value over that (mine was for $5.75)--and then apply that to my total balance. So you might be able to purchase gift certificates from some of the merchants first with the visa code and then apply it to your total purchase.

• 5 weeks later...

Update to my previous answer: I figured out another practical way to use the Visa Promo codes--go to the site of your favorite grocery store(s) and purchase a gift card online from them. The store will mail it to you. (I received mine within 2 days). The grocery stores usually offer a variety of denominations so you should find a combination that will allow you to fully use the value of your Visa Promo code. For example, I had a $30 Visa Promo code and used it to purchase 2 gift cards from the grocery store I normally shop at--a $10 gc and a $20 gc, so I didn't lose any of the value of the promo code and reduced the out-of-pocket $$$ I needed to spend on groceries that week by $30.

• 11 months later...

I always use the virtual visa cards to buy other gift cards, but i go through cash back sites to make the purchase, so i get cash back for using them, but also get the gift card (usually amazon) that i want!