Mum & Me - Ongoing Updates

idylatoo

I thought I should start a thread since a few of you frequently ask about my mom - this should make it a bit easier to keep interested parties informed. :)

Mom has been under treatment for a brain tumor - glioblastoma multiforme - since late 2009. The original prognosis was less than a year, so we have been quite fortunate that it was manageable until late last year.

Mom was recently hospitalized again for a more severe case of diverticulitis and she currently has a drain in (to drain away the ickies). The gave her morphine a lot while she was in which I wasn't 100% okay with - it tends to last a long time for her but I don't tell them not to give it to her because I don't want it to NOT be available to her in the future. At any rate, it took about a week for her to get anywhere NEAR to being close to "normal" mentally. She's talking almost as much as she was before and seems to still be making progress every day.

However, as a result of the diverticulitis, she can no longer receive chemo and is now in a hospice program. The sad thing is, she qualifies for better at home care under hospice than she did when she was receiving treatment!

I thought I should start a thread since a few of you frequently ask about my mom - this should make it a bit easier to keep interested parties informed. :)

Mom has been under treatment for a brain tumor - glioblastoma multiforme - since late 2009. The original prognosis was less than a year, so we have been quite fortunate that it was manageable until late last year.

Mom was recently hospitalized again for a more severe case of diverticulitis and she currently has a drain in (to drain away the ickies). The gave her morphine a lot while she was in which I wasn't 100% okay with - it tends to last a long time for her but I don't tell them not to give it to her because I don't want it to NOT be available to her in the future. At any rate, it took about a week for her to get anywhere NEAR to being close to "normal" mentally. She's talking almost as much as she was before and seems to still be making progress every day.

However, as a result of the diverticulitis, she can no longer receive chemo and is now in a hospice program. The sad thing is, she qualifies for better at home care under hospice than she did when she was receiving treatment!

Glad to hear she's home-there's no place like home to be comfortable.Hospice people are a God send.I don't know how those wonderful people do their jobs.One lady I worked for had them coming in for about 6 months.My sister (rest her soul) had hospice also, they made her time a lot more comfortable but not only for her but us as well.I'm very thankful to have had them when we did.Plus it's easier on the whole family when your in your own surroundings.My heart and thoughts go out to you.I know how mentally draining this can all be so I can understand only popping in every once in awhile.I'm trying to be good ,I think I'm getting better.You do know we all have to try and make things interesting every once in awhile otherwise we may not get to say "hi.":)

• 1 month later...

Just to let everyone know - mum passed away last week. She's in a better place now sitting with her parents and playing with all our dogs. :)