PriceGong Removal help

fiestyvermin

One of my tool bars had to have this with it but I have searched through everything and can find ZERO record of it on my computer. According to their description:

What is PriceGong?

PriceGong is all about saving you time and money when you shop online.

PriceGong identifies the exact product you are looking for and displays a small separate browser window (known as a slider) in the bottom right corner of your existing browser with alternative offers.

How did I get it?

PriceGong is an additional service provided to you by your browser toolbar. You can find the PriceGong button on the toolbar and use it to get more info about the service.

Now they talk about a dollar sign on your tool bar to disable it but mine does not have it. It is also not listed in my add ons or in my firefox extensions. I hate to think I need to reinstall everything but I might not have a choice. Any ideas greatly appreciated. Thanks

Have you looked in your Add/Remove Programs list? See here: How to Uninstall PriceGong?

I would also suggest using a free tool like the IObit Uninstaller to remove it and other software. Built in installers are notorious for leaving junk behind. A third party uninstaller scans and removes many of the leftover files/folders that get left behind and sometimes cause problems.

If you have problems let me know and we will attack it another way.

I have been all over the programs list. I have been through the addons and extensions in mozilla it is not listed. I have no clue on how or what its installed with. I know that I had both mypoints and Swagbucks updated today and maybe it came with one of those. I have no clue and none of the write ups give me any information that is workable.

We can try this first. There are a lot of instructions but it's actually not many steps and the scanners are pretty fast as long as the computer isn't worse infected then you think. The tools are 100% free.

First use ADWCleaner:

Download AdwCleaner by Xplode to your desktop.

* Close all open programs and Internet browsers.

* Double click on adwcleaner.exe to run the tool.

* Click on Delete

* Confirm each time with OK

* Your computer will be rebooted automatically. A text file will open after the restart.

* Please post the content of that logfile in your reply.

* You can find the logfile at C:\AdwCleaner[sn].txt as well - n is the order number.

If you aren't comfortable posting the log in the forums I understand. I would like to see it though to see what was found/removed. If it's missing anything I can report it to the ADWCleaner owners and they will improve the tool for future updates. You can send the log to me in a Private Message if you don't want to post it in the forums.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Next download/run Malwarebytes

The installer will prompt you to install the trial version but you do not have to. The free version works just fine.

If you already have Malwarebytes be sure to update it before running the scan!

Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (MBAM)

* Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.

* At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to the following:

* Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

* Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

* Then click Finish

* If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.

* Once the program has loaded, select Perform quick scan, then click Scan.

* When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.

* Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.

* When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart. (See Extra Note)

Extra Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts, click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process, if asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately.

--------------------------------------------------

Let me know how everything goes. 8)

ok what I found. The PriceGong was from Conduit Plug in. Finding out it was part of Conduit was a work in and of itself. Garbage software that just attaches without any word or mention is crazy. I have used both mypoints and Swagbucks for a good while and never had anything like that but its the only thing I have downloaded or updated. Shrugs I saw the conduit add on but did not realize it was the problem.

I'm glad you found it! :)

I would still run AdwCleaner and Malwarebytes just for a double check. No telling what all else might be hiding that you don't know about. On AdwCleaner you can use the Scan option. Once the scan is finished a log will pop up in Notepad. If you see anything you don't want there then you can either uninstall it or have AdwCleaner remove it with the Delete option.

Malwarebytes is a good compliment or "second opinion" to an antivirus and will not interfere with your antivirus. Just update and run it now and then.

Edit: I'm sending a PM to you.