amazon email about payments

danielle1234

I got a weird email from Amazon that someone was sending me a payment but could not because I have to give them my tax identification number. I dont think it is real because I went straight to amazon.com and did not see anything wrong.

A few things to always look for in Amazon.com e-mails is that the sender email will always end in amazon.com. It may be something like 'accounts.amazon.com' but the end should always be amazon.com. If not it's spam or a phishing email.

From the Amazon help pages (edited).

Here are some ways you can tell whether an e-mail is actually from us.

Amazon.com emails will never ask you to reply with personal information.

So the email asking for your tax identification number broke the first rule of Amazon emails.

If you determine someone has sent you an e-mail posing as Amazon, please report it.

You can report it directly to their fraud department by forwarding the email as an attachment to the following e-mail address: [email protected]

Here is the full article on Amazon email scams. About Identifying Whether an E-mail is from Amazon

And some more information from Microsoft. How to recognize phishing email messages, links, or phone calls

Hope this helps! 8)

thanks, i sent it to amazon. because the link was "payments.amazon.com" they said there should never be a header on the link like "payments". plus like you said, dont send ss number or tax id.

I don't think amazon even works like that. You get the gift cards in email. No one receives payments to amazon from surveys - that I know of. Amazon is not a payment site, that should be a red flag. It sounds like the scammers got mixed up and was intending to say paypal.

thanks, i sent it to amazon. because the link was "payments.amazon.com" they said there should never be a header on the link like "payments". plus like you said, dont send ss number or tax id.

'payments.amazon.com' is actually an Amazon website also. There must have been a link inside of the email to go to that was not pointing to an Amazon website? Or it is an Amazon account holder trying to run a scam. It's a good thing you reported it. No telling how many people may fall for it before it gets shut down.

There is a way that the scammers can spoof return email addresses. I'm not sure how they do it but those are the ones that are the most convincing. Companies that send emails to do with personal or financial information usually use your full name and tell you to visit the website, log in and then do your business. If the email contains a link then don't use it. You were very smart to visit Amazon on your own to check it out. :P

You did the right thing. There are all kinds of scams circulating out there these days.

• 2 weeks later...

they are now sending me about 10 of these emails a day. i guess its the weekend and amazon is not open. I hope they straighten this out.

Is there a link in the emails? If so when you hover the mouse pointer over it does it point to an amazon.com site or somewhere else?

If it's pointing to a non-Amazon site then there isn't much you can do but add the email to your spam folder. The Amazon discussion forum is packed with this same type of complaint so I wouldn't expect a quick response.

You may have already seen this but I found this link also. https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/contact- ... shing.html

oh no False alarm! Amazon was really trying to get me to sign up for Amazon Payments. I do work for amazon at MTurk. I could only get that money by signing up for the amazon payments site. sorry all. no scam here.