We all have taken THESE surveys, is it ethical?

DanaEm

Today I took a survey about credit cards. I only have one. I was still asked to answer a lot of very detailed questions about CC companies I have never done business with. This happens in more surveys than I can can count.

I get that same old line that says "please answer how much you agree or disagree with these statements, if you have not used the product, company, whatever, just give your impressions".

When I am answering these I try to stick in the middle, I will pick number 5 or "neither agree or disagree" until it looks like I may be straight-lining, but they are asking questions about things like customer service when they KNOW I have no experience with that company.

I wonder I the companies know exactly what survey questions are asked or if the just hire someone to create surveys and only see the end results.

Any thoughts?

I do the same thing. Middle of the road for all questions unless they ask to answer a question a certain way to see if you are paying attention. :D They must have their reasons. Pinecone does the same thing for new products being introduced even though you have never ever tried the new product. Don't think it has anything to do with ethics but on the surface does not seem to yield any benefit to them. I treat these the same way I treat questions about if a product was human. Seriously? Grasping at straws to elicit opinions.

Oh I know! I forgot about those, they are just weird sometimes. I don't think what I am doing is unethical since I tell the truth in the first place and don,t lie about what products I have or have not used. I am more curious about the survey creator.

Today I took a survey about credit cards. I only have one. I was still asked to answer a lot of very detailed questions about CC companies I have never done business with. This happens in more surveys than I can can count.

I get that same old line that says "please answer how much you agree or disagree with these statements, if you have not used the product, company, whatever, just give your impressions".

When I am answering these I try to stick in the middle, I will pick number 5 or "neither agree or disagree" until it looks like I may be straight-lining, but they are asking questions about things like customer service when they KNOW I have no experience with that company.

I wonder I the companies know exactly what survey questions are asked or if the just hire someone to create surveys and only see the end results.

Any thoughts?

Have you ever noticed how some of these surveys seem the same but only the product has changed names?I wonder if they have standard forms they use.Then the companies come in and pick the form they want to use.I only choose neither agree or disagree if I think there's a chance I might use something or I willing to give it a shot.I wonder if most people do the same thing and the survey companies realize it?Maybe that's the only thing they are really concerned about.

@ FootFree-Interesting, I have seen a lot that are the same now that you mention it, it does not seem like the big companies are getting their moneys worth. I am really interested in how much the survey companies rake in.

I am really interested in how much the survey companies rake in.

Has anyone ever taken a survey that loaded pages we aren't supposed to see? I was taking a survey a few weeks ago and it suddenly loaded a page with a break down of the survey that I'm assuming was supposed to be for the router company and not me. I won't say where it was or who it was from but the router was paid $11.72 and the survey paid me $1.50. I don't know how much to deduct for the administrative costs but I think that they at least make double what we do. You have to consider that the routers have overhead so it's not all pure profit. It takes money to run a business.

I am really interested in how much the survey companies rake in.

Has anyone ever taken a survey that loaded pages we aren't supposed to see? I was taking a survey a few weeks ago and it suddenly loaded a page with a break down of the survey that I'm assuming was supposed to be for the router company and not me. I won't say where it was or who it was from but the router was paid $11.72 and the survey paid me $1.50. I don't know how much to deduct for the administrative costs but I think that they at least make double what we do. You have to consider that the routers have overhead so it's not all pure profit. It takes money to run a business.

I haven't seen a "money amount" however I have seen things that might not be for my eyes. It seems to be codes in words that the survey company would need to gather info.Every time I answered a question it would redirect to another page, then flash and then go to my next question.This has happened on a few occasions.

@ FootFree-Interesting, I have seen a lot that are the same now that you mention it, it does not seem like the big companies are getting their moneys worth. I am really interested in how much the survey companies rake in.

Well from what I understand we are talking about multi- million dollar corporations,and yes I mean survey companies.I actually think you can Google these companies and get a idea of their net worth.If I remember right there was a person here from a couple of years ago who did and told me Ipsos was worth a lot.Of course with the economy they may not be worth as much as before.I did look it up and yes they have many euros.However I don't know the value of euros compared to the American dollar so if you know maybe you have a better idea then me.Plus I think GTM is doing pretty good themselves.Not as well as a few years ago but they do alright.So here is a break down of GTM back in May of 2013

How much does globaltestmarket.com make?

$2,416.05 / day

$74,897.55 / month

$881,858.25 / year

I haven't seen a "money amount" however I have seen things that might not be for my eyes. It seems to be codes in words that the survey company would need to gather info.Every time I answered a question it would redirect to another page, then flash and then go to my next question.This has happened on a few occasions.

This was a full page in a Microsoft Excel type of format. Mostly with my demographic information and a little info on the survey including the price.

Well from what I understand we are talking about multi- million dollar corporations,and yes I mean survey companies.

I have also seen corporate information on a few of them. The real market research companies like GMI or Confirmit are multi million (billion?) dollar companies. The routers don't do that well as far as I know.

Wow, I really would have thought that GTM makes more than that. How ever right now isin't the Euro worth almost double worth the American dollar, or is that just the pound? Or is there a difference? Forgive my complete ignorance on the subject. I unfortunely have never been out of the country. :oops:

I have posted this before and I'll say it again that the gap between the wealthiest of people and the poorest of people is at a all time high.I get that people want to make money and keep what they earn to buy things,I mean don't we all?What I think is unethical is to expect people to work for pennies so the rich can sit on toilets made of gold,have 2 or 3 jets and closets full of clothes that no one person could wear all in a life time.This is happening while a person who's breaking their back working 40 hours plus a week to try and keep a roof over their families head and food in their kids bellies.We all deserve the right to be fed,have clothes and the only way to do that is to pay people a wage they can afford to live on.Sorry I will get off my soap box.I just get disgusted at how some can justify not paying fairly while others have to get food out of a dumpster to live.

@FootFree- A-freakin-men! I grew up in a middle class home and neighborhood, with only my father working as a skilled laborer (truck driver) and he supported 3 kids and a wife. Now flash forward 25 years and MY husband is a very skilled laborer, he makes Monumments-Tombstones, he is a true artist and one of only a handfull people that can shape-carve granite, and if a design someone wants on a stone is out of the ordinary, He can freehand it. How ever what he makes with his years of experience still keeps us at lower-class.

Sorry- I didn,t mean to get off topic.