Is MPG Consulting LLC a scam?

swedishfish281

Has anyone heard of MPG Consulting LLC?

About a week ago I received an email from a Kennedy Cohen with MPG Consulting LLC asking if I'd like to participate in a paid market research study on a Western Union money transfer. I replied with my address and was told that I would be receiving funds for the transfer as well as instructions if I was selected. I didn't hear back until yesterday, when I received a check in the mail for $2000. Only the check was in the envelope, no instructions for the survey.

MPG Consulting is supposedly in Woburn, MA, but I can find no record of this company. The check says it is a Citibank check from Interlaw LTD in Los Angeles, CA. Interlaw LTD does exist at the address on the check, it is an association of law firms. How/why they are involved in this I have no idea.

I am wondering if this is a scam? I tend to stay away from anything involving money transfers, and I am worried by the fact that I cannot find any information on MPG Consulting. Does anyone have experience with them? Are they even real?

Thanks for your help.

Edit: Just realized that although the return address is in Woburn, MA, the postmark on the envelope is San Francisco, CA. Starting to think more and more that this is a scam.

I would not cash that check! Sounds very fishy. I looked them up and the main office appears to be in Canton Mich.. To many loose threads. Good luck!

This is a classic nigerian scam. Avoid any unsolicited messages or offers that involve western union wire transfers, money transfers, and sends fake checks. The address is likely stolen, being used unknowingly or is some abandoned building. The check is also fake. They will want you to cash the check and then send them real money, the check will later bounce leaving you with lots of debt and big problems while some foreigners laugh at you for believing it. I would highly recommend reporting it to the police, FBI, and other official agencies, although sadly I doubt they will do little or nothing about it.

That's what I figured. I was surprised not to see any of the typical "oops my assistant added an extra zero" or "hurry up and send the money."

Hope no one gets caught up in this.

Sounds like another SCAM. I am in San Francisco. I received a message from this "firm" also.i could not find any firm in San Francisco, or Woburn, MA.Don't fall for any firm requiring reverse money returns, and a firm that cannot be traced. The economic times are bad, and seemingly credible opportunities turn sour on innocent folks.There seem to be more and more scams like this recently.Not worth the time nor the energy getting involved.

Hi Swedishfish - I just experienced the SAME scenario. Please let me know what you did with the check. Did you send it back? Did you respond to their email? Crazy, huh?

• 3 weeks later...

I ended up not doing much of anything. I sent an email telling the guy that I would wait until the check cleared to take further action, no response. I did report his email address to google and yahoo. I think I still have the check lying around, I'm not sure if there are any government agencies that would really care to have it/look into it.

Some companies have posted warnings about scam: Consumer Warning on Fraudulent Check Scam

Please be aware that there are current reports of fraudulent check scams of survey and opinion research companies calls, intended to obtain personal and/or financial information. Fraudulent check scams are designed to steal your personal information by inducing you to deposit the fraudulent check into your bank account and then to immediately wire a portion of the check proceeds to the scammers using Western Union or Money Gram.

Survey companies will never request your participation in any survey and opinion research study by this method. Please do not respond to requests like these. Being informed is your best defense. For tips to recognize fraudulent checks and ways to file complaints for fraudulent check scams, click here. (Metro Research Services)

• 4 months later...

Please do not cash the cheque - this happened to me in UK, and I received a cheque for £1000 and took it into my bank and deposited it and later in the day I received a phone call from the bank manager to say the cheque book had been reported stolen and I was committing fraud. It was a nightmare, and I have never been able to trust anything online again. Please do not cash this cheque.

LizzieAnn

• 3 months later...