Valued Opinions Cash Out Fee

BluesJunky

I FINALLY cashed out from Valued Opinions yesterday, and luckily had a $4 survey clear that put me at $23...because they charged $2 for a $20 AGC.

It's my fault that it took me so long to cash out, because I have their invites sent to my Gmail acc't, which I use as a sort of "overflow" acc't, but I don't get on there as much as I should. They pay fairly well, when I don't DQ, and there are plenty of surveys...but I am NOT happy with having to pay them 10% to get what I'm OWED. They're already saving money by not offering cash (I don't know for certain, but there HAS to be a discount rate from Amazon for promoting their cards), so why am I penalized another $2? That means that the 20 or 30 minutes it took to do a $2 survey was wasted time, because I'm not getting paid for it.

I don't know yet if I'm gonna drop them over this, but I might. That $2 was MINE...I worked for it.

They don't offer PayPal, but the VO equivalent of cash is the Visa gift card/promo code -- because it can be used like cash online. I can't even count how many times I've used Visa promo codes and e-gift cards from assorted sources, to pay bills and what not. It comes in handy, and I know how/where to properly use every last cent of it so there is never a random dollar or 50 cents left over on it, and so that it can be applied to totals of greater value than $20, which I know is an issue that a lot of people seem to have when using the Visa code. Nine times out of ten I will opt for the Visa promo code with Valued Opinions, over any other type of reward. However, the fee for the $20 Visa code is $5.00 -- which is even worse than the fee for your Amazon GC! Also, it takes a while to receive the Visa code -- I cashed out on February 6th and am still waiting.

If I need to claim my prize quickly, and I don't need the Visa to pay a bill or anything, I will go for the CVS gift card, or Amazon. The fees are ridiculous all the way around.

I understand that a business has overhead, but why wouldn't they figure that into what they pay for the surveys? OR, they are, AND taking another slice off the top. And it's even WORSE for the Visa card! That's ridiculous!!

BTW, I used to always have a little left on all these cards, but found out you can apply it to your Amazon gift card total. I've done it with as little as 50 cents. Not sure if you can do it with any less, since the set up says it begins with 50 cents.

I understand that a business has overhead, but why wouldn't they figure that into what they pay for the surveys? OR, they are, AND taking another slice off the top. And it's even WORSE for the Visa card! That's ridiculous!!

BTW, I used to always have a little left on all these cards, but found out you can apply it to your Amazon gift card total. I've done it with as little as 50 cents. Not sure if you can do it with any less, since the set up says it begins with 50 cents.

Your guess is as good as mine. I know nothing about their overhead. I have no idea why VO charges fees when some other sites don't charge them (or they charge lower fees). Either way, $5.00 is an outrageous charge for a Visa code and there shouldn't be any fee for Amazon gift cards.

As I mentioned above, I don't bother with Amazon when I get the Visa code -- I use the whole Visa on monthly bills (usually phones and utilities and things like that). It could be one bill, or I could split it up between 2 or 3 bills. The amount of the bill could be greater than $20 or less than $20. I have no problem using every last cent, but I think that a lot of other people haven't figured out exactly how to use the full $20 when paying bills -- or they aren't willing to use the Visa on a bill, but would rather use it at Target or Macy's or something -- and they run into problems, so they give up and leave change on the Visa. Or, they get frustrated and think that they can't use the Visa code anywhere and they don't want it.

I would never apply anything left on a Visa code towards Amazon because I don't order from Amazon more than a couple of times a year, at most. I would put the money towards something I have to pay every month. Amazon is an option I choose if there is no PayPal or Visa. These days, when there is no PayPal or Visa with any survey/rewards site (or if it's going to literally take 9 months to be able to earn enough to get a PayPal), I am splitting my gift card options between Starbucks, CVS and Amazon (sometimes Subway, if that's offered).

at least GTM was smart enough to alter their point system to camouflage the charge.. VO just tells you it's a charge.. I wrote in once asking if we could have the option of saving up for a higher amount card, like 50 or 100 so we wouldn't incur the 'administrative charge'.. it makes sense.. they wrote back telling me it's not possible.. and after further searching found out from Amazon that there is no 'work' required on their end.. they give them the software in a corporate gift card account.. like other companies you get paid instantly, it goes in and you get paid.. no work required for them.. but we're to believe this $2 charge is to cover their end... it's frustrating for me because I cash out with them sometimes monthly.. i'd rather save up till the end of the year and just cash out once paying only one admin fee.. but i guess i'm too dumb in their mind to see the hidden motive in making us cash out 12 times instead of once..

And aside from VO having the software that allows a cash out to go through without them lifting a finger, I don't believe for a minute that they're giving Amazon $20 for a $20 gift card. It's probably more along the lines of $18. VO is funneling customers onto Amazon's site, and that has value. So it's probably closer to the truth that they're getting $4 every time someone cashes out, on top of their cut from the survey client.

The sad thing is that in this lousy economy, there is a glut of people trying to make a few bucks online just to keep the lights on. And these companies know that. If a member closes their acc't because they're tired of being taken advantage of, there are 10 more people behind them willing to sign up. The survey taker has NO leverage.

And aside from VO having the software that allows a cash out to go through without them lifting a finger, I don't believe for a minute that they're giving Amazon $20 for a $20 gift card. It's probably more along the lines of $18. VO is funneling customers onto Amazon's site, and that has value. So it's probably closer to the truth that they're getting $4 every time someone cashes out, on top of their cut from the survey client.

The sad thing is that in this lousy economy, there is a glut of people trying to make a few bucks online just to keep the lights on. And these companies know that. If a member closes their acc't because they're tired of being taken advantage of, there are 10 more people behind them willing to sign up. The survey taker has NO leverage.

Amen!!

So well said, bluesjunky. They know we're not going to go to the BBB which is usually a waste of time. This is why I respect a company like MyView..never had a problem, they are very accommodating when things get messed up.

There are a few, Cricket, that treat their members right...but they're the exception, as far as I can tell. I like the way I'm treated at Mintvine, and Pinecone...and even YourWord goes above and beyond. Cashcrate, too. Quick Rewards was another one that always treated me right, but I haven't done anything with them in months...just not enough money there for the amount of time involved. But most companies, if they're not screwing you with a "processing" fee, they're screwing you when there's a problem with a survey. Survey Spot and Opinion Outpost are two of the top offenders that I have. AND, Crowdology, which I just dumped...because they told me I only spent 3 minutes on a survey that I was into for at least 20. I'm not gonna put up with BS like that for $8 every 3 months.

Personally, I'm starting to lean more towards "community" panels...I just wish they paid cash instead of gift cards. But I just did a survey on a UPS small business panel that literally took me 10 minutes, and I got a $20 AGC. Trouble is, you have to get the invites to these panels from the surveys you take on the regular sites. So you have to swallow a bunch of crap to get anywhere, regardless.

• 2 weeks later...