How Many Children?

CinWin

I have a question on the "household" part of questions the surveys always ask us. I live with 2 roommates. They have 3 kids. Nobody has any relationship to me. So when they ask me how many in the family and I put 6 with 3 kids they start asking things like their ages/birthdates/ etc. Sometimes they then ask me questions about "MY" children which they aren't. Then after going thru all that - they disqualify me anyway. (Some companies ask if the children are mine or not but very few) On the otherhand, should I just say that I have 2 roommates (the adults) I do not want to put down their income on the total household income because I don't know it. Or should I just tell everyone that I am single and live alone? I am so confused - I have tried it all ways and I don't know which is best. Anyone else have this problem? If so, how do you deal with it?

Thanks in advance!!

That's a tough one. I would leave off the kids and roommates because the household size is essentially the number of persons for whom you are financially responsible. So unless you are supporting them, they are not part of your household. Some surveys give you the option to select "roommates/non-relatives" for who you live with. If that isn't the case, I would just answer the questions based purely on yourself. I don't know if that helps but good luck.