Would you share your Amazon purchasing history

footfree

Harris Poll wants me to do this- how do they do that?I guess they load all the info thru a app- which is suppose to go to your account and download your purchase history. Our ShopTracker app automatically removes your name, shipping address, and any personal payment information before uploading the purchase history to our servers.Why don't I feel comfortable doing this?Not that I have anything to hide except my personal identity ,but I don't feel comfortable with this.Who would want this info?

I'd feel nervous doing that for the exact same reason I was terrified when I got a request a few days ago wherein a survey wanted to give me 20 bucks in exchange for letting them log into my bank account to see what I'd bought recently and how: there's no way to limit access. I honestly would be totally fine with giving pretty much anybody (who wanted to pay me sufficiently) whatever data they wanted about what I've purchased. After all, as you said, I really don't have anything to hide. But if you've given a closed-source app someone else wrote privs to log into your bank account (or in this case, your amazon account), what's to stop them from spending a bunch of your money on themselves, or stealing your account info to use later or to sell? Sure, they say they won't do that, but even if they aren't planning on it, all it takes is lax security and one unscrupulous employee, and we've seen plenty of both make the news the past couple years. That is why I would be uncomfortable allowing any app outside my direct control to log into any site where they could cause money to exchange hands.

I did get a survey a few months back that wanted my full amazon purchase history, which was planning on getting it from me by way of telling me to export that history and then upload it to them. That I was actually going to be totally fine with (I also agree with you that I dunno what they actually want it for, but whatever, I'm not being paid to ask questions). Only problem there was, Amazon was sloooooow trying to generate that data dump for such a large time period, and eventually timed out. So yeah, had to renege on that one for purely technical reasons.

I wouldn't feel comfortable doing that. They have my debit card information on there and even though it states that that information would be safe/hidden, I wouldn't want to take a chance. I hope they are offering a lot of money for that "invasion".

I would be nervous about doing that. I won't even give a site my SS#. I may miss out on some great surveys, but I would rather have that rather than a mess later.

I think I shared my history once but I had my doubts about it. On one hand, my purchasing history is just an innocent list but I had to wonder how that information is being used. I haven't bothered with sharing since.

I've received that survey twice before (probably through O.O.). It wasn't a big deal. I left one order on the spread sheet and submitted it. All it had was the item and price, when I ordered, etc. You can see the file since you have to upload it so you know there's nothing personal on it. The survey paid like $2.50 which wasn't bad for a couple minute's worth of work.

I've only used the ShopTracker once and deleted it from my system right after. Also had a couple times were a survey simply asked me to copy and paste my Amazon info in a way that left out any personal info. Not experienced any trouble thus far, so feel pretty confident with it. Have done a similar survey with Netflix titles I've either rented or streamed over the years.